Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amspinn

GE single double wall oven

Ann Marie Spinner
11 years ago

Posted this question in appliance forum, but have not gotten any responses so I figured I might get some responses here. I am just wondering if anyone has opinions, experience/knows anyone, who has the GE Profile single/double wall oven and what they think of it.

Comments (4)

• ww340
    11 years ago

I have the GE profile single/double oven. We love it. We use the small top oven 90% of the time.

The fan was loud when we first installed the oven. I was really beside myself, as the kitchen is open to our family room, and I could not stand the sound of the fan. It was loud and had a bit of a whine to it.

I called GE and they initially said that everyone has different sensitivities to sound, but then they had me turn it on and let them listen to it over the phone. They said it sounded too loud and sent someone out to fix it. Now it is great.

The fan can be a real issue, as it runs whenever the oven is on and for a while after turning it off.

I had checked to make sure I did not have to use convection, because I did not want a fan running all the time, but as it turns out, even for traditional baking, the fan runs to keep the electronics cool.

This is not unique to this oven, it seems that most new ovens are like that today.

• Ann Marie Spinner
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks so much. Right now I have GE double ovens and I want to redo my kitchen and I am contemplating replacing them with the GE single/double oven and a microwave on top. Anyone else?

• hilltophomeowner
    10 years ago

I would appreciate hearing from others who purchased the ge single-double wall oven. Do you recommend it? Thank you.

• dee850
    10 years ago

We installed one in January of this year and have really been enjoying it. We're a family of 3 and almost never entertain, so we did not want 2 full size ovens, but we did want the ability to bake at 2 different temperatures at the same time. That has been great. When we are only making one dish, we just use the small top oven. Both ovens preheat rapidly and are true to temperature. I like how the shorter doors allow you to do less leaning in and over a large hot oven door.

I agree with one of the previous posters that the fans are a bit loud. All my previous ovens were basic entry-level ranges, no fans that I ever noticed, so that has been a new thing for us to get used to. It is not so noticeable now after a few months of daily use.

We did have a problem that seems to be relatively common with this particular model (at least as far as I could tell from googling). When baking at higher temperatures, we'd get an error alarm and have to shut it down. The common cause of this error is a some kind of break in the fan housing or sensor, but that turned out not to be our issue. As we were waiting on service to figure out the problem, it worsened to the point that this happened all the time and the oven was unusable. Ultimately they replaced the entire computer system of the oven, and that solved the problem. The guys who did the final fix told us that they work on these ovens frequently and that the problem we had is very uncommon. Since then, it has worked beautifully and we're really happy with it.