Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Took out drywall and now have a ?

Posted by deee (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 1, 13 at 16:30

We ripped off our tile and drywall above our counters in our kitchen to update our back splash. We noticed that one portion of an exterior wall has no insulation. It's above the dishwasher and there is a plumbing pipe between the studs. Is there a reason why this part of the wall has no insulation or is it a construction error?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Took out drywall and now have a ?

I'm no expert, but it sounds like an error to me.
My guess is that, if the other stud bays are insulated, the plumber removed the insulation to get his pipes in and neglected to replace the insulation that was removed.
In any event, certanily there's no downside to insulating that area.

o

I hope it is just the drain pipe that is in that stud cavity not a supply line. Is it a plastic pipe or copper?

o

Don't insulate that pipe away from house-heat, though! (not a plumber, but that seems fairly basic...presuming you live in an area that freezes!)

o

The line is plastic. It's an outside wall that faces a covered porch. We live in South Georgia near the ocean. We rarely have freezing temperatures and it never stays cold for very long.

Thanks for your help.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here