Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
palomalou_gw

Black galaxy granite

palomalou
9 years ago

Our kitchen has what looks like black galaxy granite. It is not terribly shiny. There is one place that something was put on it (an insulated mug that my husband has, we think, so should not have been able to get hot) and the black is slightly faded. I put a wet paper towel on it to see whether the dampness seemed to soak in, and it did not , which according to wikihow means it doesn't need sealing. But I'd like to deal with the faded ring and renew the shine as well. Thanks for your advice.

Comments (8)

• kevdp4
    9 years ago

Do you use soap to clean it?
    Have you applied a wax?
    Both of these things can cause a film that can look dingy and cause smudges and rings.

Applying a sealer to Galaxy Black can cause issues too.

• palomalou
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No, I have used water most of the time, Granite Magic a couple of times, and. an antibacterial when done with raw chicken.

• kevdp4
    9 years ago

I am not familiar with Granite Magic, but I do know there are many products on the market that the labels says for "Granite" or "Stone" that will absolutely make a hideous mess of granite countertops.
    I have been called to many residences to find dull, smudged, and streaky countertops due to bad, so called granite cleaners. I was able to easily bring it back to original shine using either Granquartz 3-1 Cleaner, or Easy-Oxy cleaner to remove the film left by bad products.
    Try cleaning an area with one of the above products or acetone. Please read the cautions on the acetone container first.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

You may have a dyed stone and washed out some of the dye somehow.

• monicakm_gw
    9 years ago

I remember reading about dyed black granites several years ago. Don't know what, if anything, you can do about it tho. They would use it on lesser quality pieces. I use 1:1 ratio of water/alcohol for cleaning my granite counters and bar base. My rounded bar base is Black Galaxy cut in 4" wide strips of staggering lengths. Hope you can find a solution to your problem.

• palomalou
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Does it provide any insight that when it is wet it looks perfect, but when it dries the discoloration is evident?

• monicakm_gw
    9 years ago

palomalou, Welllll, I was going to suggest a very well known and respected tile forum but when I tried to post the link, it said they've been having spam issues and I couldn't post the link. Can't imagine what is going on. The two sites have co-existed for the 12 years I've been a part of both of them. The warning said if I try to circumvent the ban, I'd be banned :o Good grief! Sorry :(
    IF you replace the granite and IF you want to use BG again, ask the granite yard to look for the best granite he can find. The BG I've been seeing for the last several years has been not as black and the bronze and copper flecks are tiny and sparse. 3 years ago when I asked my granite guy to find me the best BG he could get his hands on, he came back with the best BG I think I've EVER seen. Deep black with oodles of large flecks. Gosh it's a beautiful stone!

• palomalou
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Definitely not going to replace the granite. I'll order the Granquartz. For the time being, I'll just leave the soap dispenser there :(