Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where to send cabinet doors for a 'factory' quality paint finish?

Posted by joyce721 (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 21, 12 at 16:24

We had completely custom cabinets crafted as part of our kitchen remodel one year ago. We had a good many difficulties with our cabinet maker and believe that the painting was done hastily because he was late. We were told that painting was done 'in the paint booth'. He used a pre-catalyzed lacquer color matched to Benjamin Moore Atrium White (not BM paint,however), formulated to California requirements. We were warned by our contractor and the cabinet maker that these formulation changes diminish resistance.

Well, the doors (and cabinets) under/around our sink have been spray repainted twice and the doors are peeling and chipping yet again. They are flush inset doors. There is some minimal water dripping around the edges of our farmhouse sink, but we are pretty good about monitoring for that.

In any event, the paint cracks follow the joints of the doors and the peeling always starts at a seam or joint. The latest painter who's attempting to fix this says that the doors weren't primed properly in any of the previous paintings.

This is not just ridiculous -- it's expensive to have these doors repainted 3 times a year.

I know about the restrictions on formulations in CA. So, I'm wondering if there are cabinet companies elsewhere where we can send our doors and a paint swatch for repainting -- and appropriate baking to make the finish more water resistant. That won't help failures on the cabinets themselves, but the doors are by far the worst.

Any ideas or recommendations out there?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where to send cabinet doors for a 'factory' quality paint fin

You are aware that to receive any type of warranty you will be better served to start over with new doors.

If you are near the LA basin, I could refer you to 3 professionals.

o
RE: Where to send cabinet doors for a 'factory' quality paint fin

I moved to CA over a year ago and I notice that the hard water here causes more wear in kitchens and bathrooms than usual. I have been living in apartments with cheap cabinets for many years in other states and never notice this kind of wear like you get in CA. When we bought a 12 year old townhouse here, the cabinets all showed lots of water damage. Now I am getting new cabinets from Durasupreme and hopefully I can keep it looking new.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here