Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mayo510

Help picking kitchen floor

Mayo510
11 years ago

Long-time lurker, first time poster. ;-)

We are completely re-doing the kitchen in our 1915 Craftsman bungalow. The plan is for white/off-white painted shaker cabinets, with a dark gray countertop. I am stumped on the floor.

The "front of the house" -- DR, LR, big foyer -- still has what we assume are the original wood floors, pretty wide plank, dark with some red tones. The "back of the house" -- BRs and BAs -- have what we assume are newer wood floors, narrower planks in a lighter stain. The front of the house and the back of the house do not touch. You have to walk through the corner of the kitchen to get between them. Just 3' or so, and while there are doors in and out of the kitchen, those doors are almost always open.

The kitchen currently has . . . black rubberized knobby floor tiles. You know, the kind you'd see on a freight elevator floor or at the edge of a train platform. I try not to think about how that choice was made. But, as much as I dislike it, it is awfully forgiving on our bodies, and on the occasional dropped piece of dishware.

Every single "inspiration kitchen" photo with white cabinets and dark counters I've saved has wood floors. I'd love wood floors. But I doubt I'm going to be able to get them to match either existing wood floor. (right?)

Go with wood floors anyway, even if you'd see three different versions of wood floor all up against each other in that corner traffic zone?

Something else? I'm eying Marmoleum and cork. I like that they have some of the forgiving qualities of my current industrial floor. But I'm stumped on color family (browns would seem like I'm trying to "match" the wood?) and whether I'd want any kind of patterning (maybe big checkerboard?).

Tile maybe? Our hallway bathroom has a 1"hex mosaic floor, which I like, but I haven't seen that at all in kitchens. Just fashion, or is there a functional reason? Bigger stone/stone-look tiles just don't feel like the right aesthetic at all, but maybe the right inspiration photo would change my mind.

Thanks for any thoughts!

--Mayo

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz