Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sealer left brown marks

Posted by piggyspen (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 26, 12 at 16:21

The picture is of my kitchen after the countertop was installed but before sealed. I have blue pearl granite and used AquaMix Penetrating Sealer. I asked the installer if I should seal and suggested sealing with any sealer every six months. So I sealed it.

When you get certain light, there are brown "stains" in the granite. I have used several things, including Acetone on the granite, but nothing seems to budge it. I have called my installer sevral times, but so far no luck on getting him back to help me with this. Any suggestions out there? I want this beautiful shine and clarity back!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sealer left brown marks

The first thing I would do would be to get to the sealer manufacturer. Do they have hotline? Next would be the vendor. I'm not even sure your type of granite even needs a sealer, by the way. My stone was sealed at installation 7 years ago. I found GW a year later and resealed. I used what you used and it took major elbow grease to remove the haze. However, there were no brown streaks, and I have no idea what would cause them. My stone is allegedly porous, but I just resealed it for the first time in 6 years. This time I did not use Aqua mix. Also, try the Stone Advice Forum. I'm on iPhone. Please excuse typos.

o

Blue pearl generally doesn't need sealing. You should remove the sealer and see if the stain goes away.

o

weissman, what would you suggest removing the sealer with? I have tried several things, Acetone being one of them. Didn't do it! That is what I am trying to find out -- what to use? I have even contacted the sealer maker but not heard from them yet.

o

Acetone is what's usually recommended - are you using pure acetone (as opposed to nail polish remover :-). Checking with the sealer manufacturer is the right thing to do.

o

Usually, the sealer that you used will dissolve the sealer that is still on the counters. So you can reapply the sealer and use a bunch of elbow grease to remove the re-emulsified sealer. Steel wool, scrubbing, actual acetone, and follow up with pure Dawn and hot water usually does the trick. Polish dry with some cotton towels like you would a fine automobile.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here