Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with crown molding

Posted by madisonkathy (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 14, 12 at 16:16

I need help with crown molding issues with my GC. In the attached pic, the upper (to the ceiling) cabs have crown molding, and just small molding on the not-to-the-ceiling upper cabs *except* for the cabinets to the right of the window. I think the crown needs to be removed from the lower cabs right of the window. It looks to me like he got the wrong size cabinets, and the window is missing an eyebrow. Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with crown molding

I like the large molding myself! I would have it on all of the cabs! But then, I am a "bigger is better" trim girl. :) Regardless,though, they definitely need to be the same whichever way you go.

o

nini, I like the larger crown too, but it won't fit on the lower cabs (according to the general contractor).

o

Why can't he take the smaller molding off and replace with the same molding as on the right? I don't understand having two different sizes!

o

Ok, I just googled staggered cabinets, you also have to stagger depths to make the cm work:( hopefully someone here can come up with a good solution.

o

The cabinets to the right are installed correctly. The ones on the left aren't staggered enough to accommodate the crown molding returns.

I guess I would ask the contractor to change the crown molding. Instead of having crown molding that projects forward, I would have crown molding that runs straight up and down (flush with the fronts of the cabinets-no projection). I think that would solve the problem.

o

Here's an example of the kind of crown molding I am talking about.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here