Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
suzatwork

Backsplash help - too much?

suzatwork
15 years ago

Hi - I'd love to hear your thoughts on my plan for the backsplash. I think I'm starting to over-analyze...

To give you perspective, here's a view of my kitchen, and then there's a breakfast bar as well that will have a backsplash. Note that the white backsplash on the range itself has been removed, which opens up that area.

{{!gwi}}

I found a 4x4 tumbled marble that looks great with the undercabinet lighting. It doesn't have the pink hue that so many of the tiles I brought home had. I do NOT plan to enhance, as I don't want the veining in the marble to compete with the movement in the granite. My plan as of now is to do a row of 4x4 squares along the counter, and then sit the metal bronze rope (1x6) on top, and then place the tumbled marble on a diagonal above the rope. My thought is to inset the bronze 2x2's every 16.5" in the diagonal field.

Is it too much to have the 2x2's AND the metal rope tile? I also have selected a metal 2 x 16" inlay for above the range.

{{!gwi}}

Range mock-up and selected inlay:

{{!gwi}}{{!gwi}}

Close-up of the 2x2's: Which one do you like better?

{{!gwi}}

One last picture, with undercab lighting...

{{!gwi}}

Thanks!!!

Comments (23)

• remodelfla
    15 years ago

Of the two insets I prefer the one on the left with the inlay you've selected for above the range. The right one seems too Arts and Crafts(ish) with the other tiles you chose. I would consider blocking out a border around the range inlay and perhaps surrounding it with the rope tile. It would provide a real focal point and fill up the space closer to the width of your range.

• suzieca
    15 years ago

Consider doing the lower row of tile on the diagonal also...cut each tile in half diagonally and install that way instead of straight. Just my opinion. Mine is like that & I think it looks good. I agree about the rope border around the inlay over the range...that will look good. Depending on the size you could put diag. tiles (half pieces)around the inlay then the border around all of that. Try laying it out to look at it and see what you think. That might set it off nicely.

• suzatwork
    Original Author
    15 years ago

suzieca - Do you have a picture of yours that I could look at? I haven't seen any examples with the half-cut diagonal on the bottom.

Any more thoughts? Yay or nay?

• suzieca
    15 years ago

here you go..

• gshop
    15 years ago

I like the insert on the left, I think it goes better your beautiful stove inlay. I agree with the others about using the rope around the stove inlay to frame it. You might want to think about using a 1/2 or 3/4 tile along the bottom to lower the height of the rope and 2x2 inserts so that they are not so high up under the cabinets. Also do a complete layout with paper of the inserts ALL the way around, as we found that it really made a difference in how we laid ours out. Good Luck!

We did a similar layout with our 4x4 tumbled travertine. We used 1/2 tiles along the bottom, then Noce pencil rail, then diagonal field, with 2x2 inserts and a 4x4 insert above our stove.

• suzatwork
    Original Author
    15 years ago

ngng - So glad you chimed in. I have printouts of your beautiful backsplash and have studied them quite carefully. I love your 2x2 inlay. I also have looked at how your pencil rail is more muted. I hope I don't regret the more 'stark' metal rope rail, but I feel the bronze finish really pulls out the chocolate flecks in my granite beautifully. Will I regret it?

BTW, can you send me all those paper cut squares so I don't have to re-invent the wheel on that one??? LOL!

I would prefer the half-tile first row, but have an issue with where my window falls. If I go with a half-tile, then the rope ends up under the window trim and I think that looks funny. I didn't think about a 3/4 tile though. What do you think about having the rope tile disappear into the trim at the lower edger, rather than an inch up with the full tile?

Regarding the 12x16 piece above the range. I'd like more conversation about that. I played around with some borders but I don't have much space vertically between the range and microwave. In fact, there is only about 3.5 inches available on the top and bottom of the inlay. Seems like if I add a border on the left and right sides, I'd need an equal border to the top and bottom. Thoughts on that?

Here's a picture of the window trim and space underneath:
    {{!gwi}}

• gshop
    15 years ago

I love your bronze rope with your granite, don't change it! I went with a more neutral pencil rail because my granite had more of a mix of colors. I also think the bronze ties in with your cabinets/hardware, stay with what you have I think it will be beautiful!!

I now see that your gorgeous piece above the range has its own border, so the rope/other border pieces around it might be overkill and look awkward, especially with your limited spacing. I'd just inset it within the diagonal field.

Try a layout with the 3/4 bottom row, with the rope even with bottom of the border of your window. I also don't think the rope below the window would look bad either, but play around with it.

I'll Fed-Ex all my saved layout papers that I so preciously saved (NOT!). I know it's a pain to cut them all out, but it really helped since we were DIYing the backsplash.

P.S. I also have the same undercabinet CD/radio player! Good Luck!

• Marcia B
    15 years ago

I posted a few weeks ago for backsplash help, and received so many great ideas..

My finished backsplash is similar to many posted here,I LOVE the way ours turned out..

I have always loved the glass tiles, but wasn't sure how to work them into our old world kitchen.. with the help of the Tile Store, we came up with a great pattern. And this was a DIY project.. Now DH is working on the butlers pantry..

pre-backsplash
    {{!gwi}}

pattern layout
    {{!gwi}}

Finished!
    {{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• remodelfla
    15 years ago

WOW marcia... your kitchen and backsplash is absolutely gorgeous!

• Marcia B
    15 years ago

thanks remodelfla
    dh took a better pic today..

{{!gwi}}

• suzatwork
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Marcia, Thanks so much for sharing. That is absolutely gorgeous, and captures your 'old world' feel beautifully. That's helpful to me in visualing the different components that I'm looking at.

ngng - Thanks so much for your comments and encouragement. BTW, I didn't tell you before but I have your knobs/pulls in my new mainfloor powder room (a 'while I'm at it' project), which I find very coincidental because if I remember correctly, they were not from the same family. We have very similar tastes:)

One more question to ponder for my GW friends regarding the 2x2 insets... I think I'll go with the left, more ornamental piece displayed in my original entry above. That is also available in a 1x1. Should I be considering the 1x1 for a more subtle 'pop' rather than the 2x2?

Bill, if you're there... Do you have any pictures of backsplashes with the metal-looking rope? I saw your pictures of the botticino marble tumbled tile in another post - very helpful to me as well as that is what I decided on for the field. Thanks for your expertise!

• gshop
    15 years ago

Great minds think alike! LOL!

I'm not sure about the 1x1 insert tiles, they may be too small to show off the design. You may also need more since they are smaller and it may cost more. Again play around with the layout and step back to take a look. Good Luck!

• suzatwork
    Original Author
    15 years ago

bump for any other feedback...

• rbsohio
    15 years ago

ngng: Can you tell me the name/manufacturer of your backsplash tiles (particularly the inserts). TIA, Robin

• remodelfla
    15 years ago

suz... I kinda lost track of where you're at so excuse this if you're already set... but, have you thought about using a liner the same as your tumbled stone as a border around the inset by your stove/MW? It's nice a narrow so shouldn't be a problem with the height between your range and MW. It should draw attention to the area without competing or over whelmening it.

• suzatwork
    Original Author
    15 years ago

remodelfla - Thanks for circling back with me. I'm kind've set, but what you're talking about doesn't seem like a major change:) My installation will happen the beginning of Thanksgiving week, so I have a little time. Are you thinking a liner like the size that Marcia above used to offset her 1x1's? And would you set it directly next to the edge of the inset?

Thanks for pondering this a little more with me!

• remodelfla
    15 years ago

yes... a thin liner, maybe a little flatter, just to border the stove inset. I'm sure a rounder/deeper one would look fine too but I thought you wouldn't really want to draw attention to it like the bronze rope but instead to help define and highlight the inset for behind your stove. And if you're already planned out... just sit back and watch it come together! I"m sure what you picked will be beautiful!

• greenthumbfish
    15 years ago

suzatwork - please tell me where you found the 12" x 16" copper inset - I tried to find it months ago and could only find it available by the case on line. TIA!

• ccoombs1
    15 years ago

That is almost exactly what I am doing, right down to the same mosaic!! The tile store called and said my tile is in, so I may get it started this weekend.

• marilyn234
    15 years ago

ngng I too would like to know the color and manufacturer of your tumbled travertine and inserts. It looks beautiful and all the samples of the tumbled stones I have taken home to view in my kitchen are real pink or grey. I just can't find the right one, and just want a simple diagonal tumbled stone. My granite is New Venetian gold and your color on my screen looks great. Thanks for any info you can share. Marilyn

• suzatwork
    Original Author
    15 years ago

greenthumbfish - I found mine at Ceramic Tileworks in Maple Grove, MN. (It's made by Florida Tile.) Their website is ceramictileworksmn.com. The medallion is not shown on their website, but I know they had 3 more in stock. Give them a call. I see that southcypress.com has it online, but it is about $45 more than what I paid at Ceramic Tileworks. Not sure what either place charges for shipping. HTH! I love the piece and can't wait to see it on the wall.

ccoombs - Can you provide more details/pictures of what you've decided to do? I hope you'll post pictures of your backsplash progress. I have searched and searched and haven't found pictures of these metal inserts/rope installed. Thanks!! Good luck with your install:)

remodelfla - Thanks for your suggestion and encouragement. I'll take a look and see what the ceramic store has for a matching liner and how that looks with the medallion.

• jules1906
    15 years ago

suzatwork,

I'm no expert on backsplash, but I do think the others' suggestions sound really good! I just wanted to tell you how pretty your kitchen looks, and with the selections you've made for your backsplash so far, it's going to be beautiful however you end up arranging the tiles! Good Luck!!

• suzatwork
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for your kind words, Jules!

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH