Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shiltsy

Appliance recommendations

shiltsy
9 years ago

We are starting the home design and budgeting process. I wouldn't say we have a gourmet chef in our household, but we enjoy the time together in the kitchen. We're looking forward to having more space and nicer appliances than what we have today, but certainly don't need top end Thermador stuff.

Kitchen appliances we will have:
1. Panel ready fridge
2. Dishwasher (have a Bosch today and love it except dish configuration is poor)
3. Double wall oven including microwave
4. Induction or gas cooktop (not sure which direction)

Lower level bar will have a beverage cooler and possibly ice machine.

Couple of questions I'd love your feedback on:

1. Are there good mid level brands that represent solid VALUE?

2. I believe our builder will march us into a high end appliance store with top end gear and MSRP pricing. As a matter of principle, I don't pay full price for any purchase this large. Are there online/direct shops that I should be considering?

I don't mind purchasing everything on our own and having it shipped in if I can save several thousand dollars in the process. I do realize the customer service experience won't be the same.

Thanks for the feedback... hope to have some kitchen plans that I can post soon for additional feedback.

Comments (11)

• weissman
    9 years ago

With certain high-end brands such as Wolf/Subzero - there are no discounts available. They use something called UMRP (Universal Minimum Retail Price) and they require all dealers to sell for at least that price. If you want one of those brands you'll end up paying that price unless you get a discontinued model, floor model, etc. If you're buying a bunch of appliances, you can sometimes get the dealer to give you an extra discount on a non-UMRP appliance or throw in free delivery or an extended warranty.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

1. Are there good mid level brands that represent solid VALUE?

You aren't going to get a panel-ready refrigerator in a mid-level brand - they don't exist.

As for pricing, we priced everything on line, and found an equal or better price at Pacific Sales locally. They couldn't discount the Thermador fridge, so they did that on a separate invoice, and discounted everything else instead.

• _sophiewheeler
    9 years ago

Read the Appliance Forum for a couple of weeks. And have a healthy budget. You're NOT in mid range territory. Mid range s GE Profile and no cabinet panels. Don't forget ventilation and MUA. You're in lower upper end to middle upper. 15K-20K.

• RealHousewifeofNJ
    9 years ago

We purchased similar appliances a few months ago... be prepared to spend roughly $20,000 for what you are looking for.

• shiltsy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Funny enough, that's exactly what the first builder we've interviewed has for the appliance allowance.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

Well if you have a $20,000 allowance, then I do recommend the Thermador panel-ready fridge, IF you're getting the 36" model. (I love my 30" except for the fact that it doesn't have a tall produce drawer, the 36" does). Its a beautiful machine!

Also highly recommend induction.

I have a Bosch induction cooktop, paneled Thermador fridge and paneled Bosch dishwasher. Like them all (although we have an error message on the dw and the repair person is coming out today, but that can happen with any machine). I know some people do not like the configuration of the Bosch dw, so I recommend taking your own dishes (big plates, deep bowls, silverware if you're getting the third tray) with you to the appliance store to check whether it fits.

• HomeChef59
    9 years ago

Read the appliance forum for a while. It will give you some idea of how to prioritize your choices.

For instance, I am a professional cook with professional expectations in my home. Thus, I put a high priority on an excellent range top. I'm spending my money here. I will also plan for really good ventilation. I put less emphasis on refrigeration. I just bought a KitchenAid Architect II instead of the Sub-zero. This move saved me some serious bucks I can use elsewhere.

I have a Scotsman ice maker, but I'm eliminating it in the new kitchen plan. I'll sell it on Craig's List. I have enough ice from my refrigerator. If I need more ice for a party, I'll buy a few bags and put them in the cooler. This will save me some money, too. If you have children, a separate beverage refrigerator may be where you want to splurge. It's really a question of understanding your priorities.

One thing did occur to me in your description. I have a double oven with integral microwave. I don't use it. I don't find the microwave to be user friendly in a large oven. Rather, I have a countertop microwave. I find it to be more convenient. When it fails, I won't be upset, it's easier to replace than the integral model.

I love appliances. They are like grown up toys.

• RealHousewifeofNJ
    9 years ago

Yup almost $20,000 to the penny. We have a Viking Microwave, Double Wall oven and 5 burner cooktop. Sub-Zero 36" French Door Fridge and Sub-Zero Beverage Center. In terms of "value" only the SZ fridge was the splurge. All of the other appliances even though they are all SZ or Viking were competitively priced with higher end brands.

• Gooster
    9 years ago

Another technique to save money on items subject to UMRP is to watch for the mfg rebates and bundle details (for example, the Thermador 1-2-Free promotion where you can buy an induction or gas cooktop and double oven and get the Bosch-made DW for free).

BTW, Bosch made some design changes that impacted the dish configuration. Also the 500 and 800 now have utensil trays.

If you don't want an integrated, built-in refrigerator, I believe the regular KitchenAid still comes in a panel version. As noted below, the choices in a true integrated, built-in refrigerated are really mostly restricted to the high end. However someone else just posted that Blomberg is importing an integrated, built-in model that is the type you commonly see in Europe -- completely integrated but very small -- you need to put two side-by-side but the total price for the two comes in for like $3.5K instead of $7 to $8K. However, people have reported limited experience thus far.

• juddgirl2
    9 years ago

I just bought KitchenAid Architect II appliances and I believe the refrigerator and dishwasher were available as panel ready. We have the 36" x 72" 22 cf counter depth refrigerator. It's only been installed a few days but I like it much better than my old KA side by side.

• scrappy25
    9 years ago

Consider getting your MW and wall oven separately even if they are mounted together. It is likely that the MW will fail far before your oven does. Sharp makes almost all the MW's so you can probably buy a Sharp equivalent of whatever expensive brand MW you want (ie the Wolf) and then the brand frame to match it to the oven width and appearance.