Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mel0822

Need to make decision by tomorrow morning

mel0822
10 years ago

Hi all,
Do you think it is okay to have glass put in just one angled cabinet door? Or do you think it needs to be evened out somewhere else? I just had my 10 year old oak kitchen cabinets painted and it turned out great. The 42 inch cabinets and desk area are painted BM White Dove, and I have a 6 foot island that is painted BM Stratford Blue. So far I have not been able to figure out how to post a picture--but I am going to keep working on it. (It's an L shape with cabinets and window on the long side and cabinets and stove on the short side. Island in the middle and fridge and desk area/cabinets across from the long L side.) Now that I have the cabinets painted--it seems like a lot of white. I have the option of putting glass in a couple of the cabinet doors---but I have to make the decision by tomorrow (but not too many because of the $$$). Any thoughts anybody?

Comments (29)

• magsnj
    10 years ago

I wouldn't put glass in b/c it's too white....I'd only do it if there were things I wanted to be on display. There are many ways to offset the white. It's tough to see a kitchen without all of the things that will occupy it.

• mel0822
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I do have some colored pottery and things that I would put in the glass cabinet/s. I thought maybe it would "perk" up the solid white row. If you were going to put glass in--do you think one cabinet would be okay?

• jellytoast
    10 years ago

It would be very helpful if we could see a picture of what you've got going on.

• magsnj
    10 years ago

I think one would be fine....my mother has a white kitchen with one glass cabinet. It's an L shape and the glass is in the junction (where the two lines of the L meet). It looks pretty and does break up the wall of white cabinetry. I don't think I'd be horrified if i was white though either.

Either way, take a deep breath and make sure you're thoughts are contained. Decisions made the night before need to be done with a calm mind. No hastiness allowed.

• mel0822
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is one photo.

• mel0822
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is the other side.

• mel0822
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thought I should mention that I am getting stainless appliances as well. This is very much a work in progress.

• Lisa
    10 years ago

I have almost the exact same layout as your kitchen with the exception of your desk area...that is where my ovens are. Everything else is the same. The cabinets are even white!! I have a glass cabinet door in the angled corner (between where your stove and sink are located). I've always been happy with it. It breaks everything up and adds a little pizazz.

• jellytoast
    10 years ago

Do you have a picture of your set-up, Icskaisgir, with the glass corner cabinet?

• rosie
    10 years ago

What a nice problem to have. I love the idea of decoratives adding interest behind glass.

If I did them on the work side, though, I think I would flank the windows with them, if the doors are the same size, or very close to -- a way of expanding the lightness and openness of the window area by incorporating glass INTO that important area, developing one large, main focal point for the kitchen. The stove is already taking a back seat, so the window area is the main feature anyway.

Because the stove can't help being a focal area, even if minor in this case, I would be concerned about adding a third focal point near it, such as in the corner, although it's working nicely in Icskaisgir's particular situation. Remember, glass will draw attention to it, wherever it is. You should have always felt a need to play up the corner in some way or other to put glass there.

A space that I really like them for would be above the desk. That side could benefit from some glamour; but more importantly, they'd function as a valuable organizing element, pulling attention away from the refrigerator to define a design centered on the desk. You also wouldn't lose useful storage above your main work area and would be able to enjoy the view as you worked.

Have fun, whatever you do. It's looking nice.

• Lisa
    10 years ago

I hesitate to post this photo because it is pre-renovation. But I am including a glass door in the same place in my new kitchen. And why not (as rosie suggested) incorporate the glass doors in your desk area? Either the inner two or outer two would look fabulous.

• mel0822
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks so much for the input everybody. This is really helping my decision process and I appreciate your opinions. I have a hard time visualizing these things which makes it tough to make a decision. I was thinking about putting glass over the desk as well--or the cabinets next to window on the right side. Unfortunately I don't have cabinets that are symmetrical where they could "flank" an area.

Icskaisgir: If you have a picture that would be great.

• mel0822
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Icskaisgir---Thank you! This helps a lot actually!

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Mel your kitchen is lovely. I love the idea of at least one cab with glass displaying your pretty pottery. It will make an already pretty kitchen even more so. Good luck with your glass and please post pics.

Lcs, your before kitchen is beautiful. I can't wait to see what you do with it.

• Lisa
    10 years ago

Mel0822, I really like that you did your island in a different color from the rest of your cabinets. And the stainless appliances will make a huge difference in the overall look of your kitchen. Can't wait to see it completed. What did you decide on the glass door(s)? Or if you're like me you won't have a decision made until it comes down to the wire!

• mel0822
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No decision yet! I will probably stare at this for the rest of the night! I am now flip flopping between putting glass in the corner cabinet or the cabinet (two door) on the right side of the sink-----and putting glass in the two center doors of the desk....or not. I guess having a deadline is a good thing because I'm so indecisive this could go on forever!

• magsnj
    10 years ago

If you do decide to go ahead and put in glass, I'd recommend painting the inside of the cabinets the same color as your wall's paint.

• meek95
    10 years ago

How do the interiors of your cabinets look? Are they in good shape? Are they white like the outside? In my new white cabinets, we have several glass doors. The interiors have white beadboard backing and glass shelves (also lighting which you may not be able to do at this point). I love the look but I did lose out on some storage since the interiors of the glass cabinets are mostly for display items.

• magsnj
    10 years ago

PS.....forgot to mention....LOVE the colors. I know it's a work in progress, but so far, it really looks great! It doesn't picture too much white and the stainless appliances may really break up the white for you.

• magsnj
    10 years ago

Lol.....this is my best attempt at stainless steel breaking up the white. Sorry! Maybe someone more talented than me can give you stainless steel appliances and maybe even add some glass cabs in for you.

• raehelen
    10 years ago

No problem doing just one cabinet in glass. AND, you can always change a solid door later to glass if you decide you want more glass. We had a carpenter route out the wood from two doors over our beverage area,,,(over 4 years ago, and I still haven't picked the decorative glass that I want going in there...LOL) In the meantime, we've gotten quite used to grabbing wine and wine glasses directly off the shelves through the doors!

• mel0822
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You guys are awesome! Thank you Mags for the photoshop! I'm going to switch my white blinds to a woven wood shade of some kind so that should help break up the white as well. Interiors of the cabinets are pretty good--but they will need to be painted. Also hoping for different lighting down the road. And thanks for the compliments about the colors. I agonized over that as well--I know you all can relate. I'm really happy with them. Anyway, really appreciate all of the great advice. Right now, I am leaning toward doing the corner and the two doors in the middle of the desk area. The clock is ticking. :)

• blackchamois
    10 years ago

Here's another pic of glass on one side but not the other ...

• Lake_Girl
    10 years ago

Mel - change out your appliances and blinds out first, and then see what you think. I have one glass cab in the corner of my white perimeter cabs. I put my plates and glasses in it. We really use that cabinet, it's not for display. In fact, I have a small kitchen so every cab is used:) I think your kitchen is looking great, and can't wait to see the rest of your changes. The island is beautiful, btw. Did you paint it, or was it always that color?

• angela12345
    10 years ago

The difference in lcskaisgir's and your situation is your corner cabinet is flanked on both sides by cabinets. I would suggest making the cabinet to the left of your sink glass (the one right above the paper towel holder).

The main thing to think about is what you are going to display in the glass front cabinets. And where are you going to store your other dishes (the ones not on display). The area right around the dishwasher is prime real estate. The cabinets around the desk may be where the 'junk' is hidden.

• romy718
    10 years ago

Lake Girl, I like your idea, the corner cabinet & above your desk.

• mel0822
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks again you guys. I ended up having to postpone which is a huge relief as I'm still not 100%. I now have a new issue. One thing I hadn't thought of before is that I have arched uppers. I really don't notice them painted white--but glass will make it stand out more and I'm not sure how I feel about that. Really wish they were square like the lowers. All of the doors I was planning on doing are the "skinny" doors where the arch is more pronounced--so that figures!

Lake Girl---the island was a basic golden oak builder island with no frills. My picture quality is terrible--but it really did turn out nice. This is a low budget reno so I wasn't able to replace the island with a new one. I gave my carpenter a picture of an island from Pottery Barn and he was able to pretty much replicate it over my existing island. You can't tell from the picture, but there are wide vertical planks where the stools are. The same place that painted the cabinets also painted the island and it really looks nice. I'm very happy with the color.

Black Chamois---Love that kitchen! Beautiful.

• Gracie
    10 years ago

I don't think that corner cabinet is screaming out for glass, but I like the idea of using some glass over the desk if you use it for a collection of glass or pottery. Or take the center doors off and use it for cookbooks.

My sister has white cabs with an aqua island, and she put aqua-painted beadboard in the back of all her glass and open kitchen cabinets. Here is her bar hutch.

• Lake_Girl
    10 years ago

Hey mel - ours was a low budget update over months and month, so I know what you mean:) My husband totally redid our island, and added the "feet" detail to the bottom of the cabinets. Now I've decided to paint the walls, and that has been a tough decision! Anyway, maybe if you go ahead with the new appliances, you'll be happy with the changes w/o adding the glass. BTW, your island is great!