Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crcollins1_gw

solid surface overhang question

crcollins1_gw
9 years ago

We installed Formica solid surface and have an area about 21" deep and just a hair over 6' long that is supported on both ends but not across the span. Do we need to add supports, and if so, how many?

Also, is this a reasonable amount to be off-bubble? It looks slightly like the center of the overhang is a bit bowed up. It's subtle, and I don't know if this is typical, if it will correct itself... they went in less than a week ago. It's just off in this one center section, the rest is level.

Thanks!

Comments (13)

• crcollins1_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is the wide shot.

(yes, the stools are temporary)

• GreenDesigns
    9 years ago

Should have had a piece of steel connecting the two cabinets before the top was set. And maybe some cross pieces too. Not gonna be easy to retrofit any type of support now. But, it needs it, or it may crack on you. If I were the fabricator, I wouldn't have installed it without support.

• crcollins1_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

They never mentioned corbels until install day, or could have planned for it better. They did attach squares of MDF on the underside (with adhesive of some sort) between the boards that were mounted under the seams when they rolled it in.

Hopefully this picture makes sense.

• GreenDesigns
    9 years ago

The buildup is to account for the height difference between the body and the edge. It's not there for support.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

crcollins:

The pictured MDF is considered solid underlayment and is in direct violation of Formica's fabrication and installation instructions as it will hold heat.

Look up the specs and have these guys pull the top, build a custom steel frame and reinstall. I'd go 18 gauge 1" square tube steel with the welds ground flush and painted black.

• Swentastic Swenson
    9 years ago

hi crcollins - coming along beautifully! I cannot wait to see your finished kitchen.

Not sure if this would help but if you need to buy aftermarket brackets, check this place out. We ordered a couple for our kitchen and I was really impressed with the quality of construction. They weigh a TON!

Here is a link that might be useful: Centerline Brackets

• crcollins1_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Experts - will the "front mounting countertop support" at the link for Centerline Brackets work? The wall behind knee area does have 2x4s to which they can be mounted.

Thanks again!

• millworkman
    9 years ago

I would be concerned about that fact that Treb mentions it is against Formica instructions to do it the way you have it installed. On the slim chance you have an issue with the material you will have no warranty from the manufacturer. Just my .02 cents.....

• crcollins1_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, I am worried. Weighing in my own mind how to approach it with my KD. She had never used this fabricator before, and they got really good references. They've been in business in these parts for quite a long time. Is there documentation I can reference when I bring this up, other than "some guy on the internet said..." ;)

TIA

• annzgw
    9 years ago

If you're not going to get the installers back, then I'd use the front mounting 'plus' countertop support.
    BTW, you need a longer level to get a true reading......try a 4 footer.

• crcollins1_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I was looking for the longer level but this was all I could find. :)

I'm going to speak to the KD about them sticking the MDF to the bottom side of the Formica. Just wanted something to reference when I do. Thx.

• millworkman
    9 years ago

Page 35

Here is a link that might be useful: formica solid surface installation instructions

• Fori
    9 years ago

(Dunno. But I have a sample of that stuff in my pile and I'm glad you had the guts to use it. Your kitchen is just about perrrrrfect!)