Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help on Kitchen Cabinets

Posted by Yaar (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 29, 13 at 16:02

We have been looking for kitchen cabinets for a long time. We would like veneer slabs in light color. It looks like there are 3 companies that make cabinets we like, but we don't know much about them. Maybe some people with more experience can help us. The companies are: Scavolini (Italy), Downsview (Canada) and Aran (Italy).

Thanks,
Yaar

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help on Kitchen Cabinets

Check out my recent post.

The cabinets are custom solid rift sawn oak made by the Amish in Wisconsin. I looked at tons of pics on Houzz, and he was able to make we what I wanted. He cannot do veneer.

I asked him to use the widest boards possible for the slab glue up and grain match the drawers.

I didn't step foot in a cabinet showroom. My interior designer did the layout and ordering. My total cost for just the cabinets was 16K, not including install.

o

I'm a KD, have heard of Scavolini but have no insight for you. I don't know the other two but handle a Canadian brand that I'm very happy with (but then there is another Canadian brand that is now part of one of the conglomerates that I don't care so much for.

If you're asking for review of those brands I don't think you will find much on this board, but maybe some.

If you're looking for other brands that do quality veneer slab doors in frameless cabinets there are quite a few. European (Neff, Poggenpohl, Baulthop) Canadian (Elmwood) and American (Henry Built, QCCI, Wood-Mode, Crystal, Plain & Fancy...). there are quite a few others. These range from upper middle to hi end brands. Some emphasize contemporary more than others but many have numerous options for veneer doors even if their website shows little or none.

There are also a number of somewhat lesser brands out there with choices that may suit. Depends on who is available to you and budget.

In the long run who you work with is as important as what brand. Find the right person to work with and they should be able to give you confidence in the brand that they offer. If they can't instill confidence maybe they aren't the right person.

One thing to consider with any brand is the lead time on replacements should there be an issue or damage. Not necessarily a deciding factor but something to be aware of.

o

Thanks, Jakuvall, good information. Who is the Canadian brand that you like?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here