Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
warmfridge

Ergonomic remodel for back injury (pic heavy)

warmfridge
13 years ago

I just completed a kitchen renovation to help accommodate my back injury and disability. I hope these ideas can help someone else.

My ''kitchen'' is an L with an island in one corner of a great room. The old version had no functional storage for someone who has to minimize bending and lifting. Its small size and my needs created some challenges. My first goal was to provide higher counters. After experimenting with cutting, chopping, and stirring on piles of books, I decided on 40'' counters for the perimeters and 38'' for the island. I also wanted upper cabinets that went all the way to the ceiling, instead of those that stopped 12'' below. It's much easier for me to use a little stool to retrieve infrequently used items than dig around in a bottom cupboard. These decisions determined that I required custom-made cabinets by a local cabinetmaker. None of the cabinet companies could accommodate the sizes I needed. I also wanted to maximize the storage in my small kitchen.

My pots and pans used to be stored at ankle level in a bottom cabinet (ouch). Now I have pot drawers. You will also notice the kitchen trash can formerly sitting on a shoebox in the middle of the room because I couldn't bend enough to empty it. No more.

Before and after pics.

This corner cupboard was the bane of my existence. I put 14'' deep uppers on the short run of the L, and now my infrequently used baking pans are up there, as well as some big bowls that were buried on the half-shelves in the bottom cupboards. The corner now has 2 super-Susans and is much more user-friendly.

Before pic. (Sorry, no after.)

Before and after pics of the ''adult beverage cabinet.''

My canned goods were also stored in a back-breaking cupboard. The new one also has a slot for baking racks.

The old sink cabinet was just a giant mess. The new one has a Rev-a-Shelf pullout on the right, and a fixed shelf on the left, where I keep my DW tablets. The DW is just to the left of the sink, and is elevated on a 4'' pedestal to bring it up to the new cabinet height. The 4'' have made a HUGE difference for me during loading and unloading the DW.

I have 2 deep, narrow drawers in my prep area and next to the stove. The upper one holds cutting boards with a bin in the rear for my food processor blades, and the lower one holds cookie sheets.

Then I put in some cool stuff just because I liked it.

This is my Blanco Silgranit sink and Hamat faucet.

This is Verde Butterfly granite and Brazilian Catamarca marble for the backsplash. They're green in real life and not so dark as my pictures. The marble is actually my favorite part of the whole kitchen. :-)

The upper cabinets go all the way to the ceiling. I hate crown molding, so I found this molding with vines. It kind of matches the corbels on the island and also the cabinet knobs.

Only the island has North River Mint knobs because they're pricey at ~$25/each.

If I had more space, I could have added other useful things (dreaming of wall ovens), but this has been a big improvement. I've found that the higher counters have increased the amount of time that I can tolerate standing by about 6-8 times. I also estimate that I do about 90% less bending than in my old kitchen.

Comments (21)

• chris45ny
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Happy that you were able to end up with a kitchen to accommodate your special needs and still have it look stylish, trendy, functional, etc. Love the close up pictures-knobs, backsplash, cabinets, sink but could you post some longer distance pics so as to show the feel of the complete kitchen?? Are your cabinets oak-they're lovely!!! Congratulations and enjoy your new space.

• northcarolina
    13 years ago

What a beautiful kitchen! It sounds as though you did a great job with the design too, since it's made so much difference to your comfort.

We have lazy Susans in our corner cabinets as well and I agree they are a big help.

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

Thanks for taking us through some of your thinking process as well as sharing the images. Very much appreciated, WarmFridge! Not an obvious "handicapped kitchen;" this is a kitchen anyone could enjoy and love and use.

• flwrs_n_co
    13 years ago

I love how you adapted your kitchen to your needs! Your backsplash is lovely and really unites the granite & cabs. I love your answer to crown molding; it's simple but the carved vine is such a nice added detail! I really like the way you store your cutting boards & baking sheets--I'm going to have to see if I can use that in my reno. :) I wondered if you have considered the GelPro mats or something similar to ease your back pain while you're standing at the sink or stove?

Thanks so much for sharing!

• plllog
    13 years ago

Oooh! I'm so glad to see it all come together! Congratulations on a lovely and usable space!!

• dar5
    13 years ago

Elegant...gorgeous marble and clever details. Love the whimsical knobs.

• canishel
    13 years ago

Thank you so much for sharing. I'm going through back and knee issues also, so any other ideas or thoughts you want to share are appreciated. For example, how much counterspace would you be willing to give up for a wall oven? Would you be willing to give up aisle space for deeper countertops? Email me privately if you prefer.

• caffeinequeen
    13 years ago

Thanks for sharing so many great ideas for those with back problems AND those who don't want to end up with back problems! I'm wondering how you brought your range up to the height of the counters.

• canishel
    13 years ago

Thanks for the reference! I've put it on hold at the library.

• lazy_gardens
    13 years ago

How tall are you?

40" counters sound really high.

• warmfridge
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Caffeine, both the range and the DW are sitting on ~4'' high bases...another reason I needed custom-made cabinets. It was crucial to have both appliances present during the construction so the carpenters could measure exactly what was needed. You can see part of the bases in a couple of the pictures.

Lazy, I am a 5'10'' woman with long legs. When the counters were first installed, I was stunned at how tall they were. But now that I'm using them, I think they're the perfect height. My island is only 38'' which was a compromise because there's seating on the other side and I can still use normal height stools with cushions. I didn't want to deal with custom-height stools also.

• dodge59
    13 years ago

Been reading both posts about designing kitchens for those with back problems.

Altho neither wife or I have any (Yet), even so, to us an important thing was to have the fully gliding out racks for the oven/ovens----especially since our 30" oven is mounted under counter---this really helps, not only checking the baking/roasting progress, but also the removal of oven contents--especially heavy items, turkeys, hams, large roasts etc etc. Another thing that helps is to have as large a window in oven as possible.

I'm a bit surprised at the choice of a CFD fridge with back problems, even without back problems I sure wouldn't wanna be digging stuff out of that bottom freezer--but maybe Op doesn't use the freezer much, or doesn't have the space or budget for a wide (48" SXS) or separate Freezer/Fridge? We like keeping the things we use most,(both at fridge and freezer) at the most convenient levels for us, with the lesser used stuff at the bottom. Just our preferences--(but something to think about for those with back problems)

Very Nice Kitchen and very nicely done--This is not a criticism in any way, just a few more things for folks to think about!

Gary

• rcvt
    13 years ago

I too have severe back problems and am 5'10." I think your design solutions are fabulous. The counter heights must be thrilling to work on after years of bending!

In my reno I couldn't change any countertop heights (long story). I made sure to design undercounter pullouts so that I could work sitting down whenever my back hollered too much. Yep, I have an armless office chair on wheels in my tiny kitchen.

My DH doesn't cook so I'm the only one who has to remember not to trip over it. I can open the doors of the sink cabinet and sort of wheel in closer. That really helps with my 10" deep sink. I can reach anything in my pull-out bottom freezer and bottom drawers from my wheeled chair (not wheelchair -- at least, not yet).

If only my vertebrae could stand up to my cooking desires!

Good luck with your new design. May you chop in comfort.

rc

• warmfridge
    Original Author
    13 years ago

OMG, The Refrigerator! I read somewhere that the DW is the least ergonomically designed appliance for someone with back problems, but I sincerely believe the refrigerator should get that award.

I previously had a SxS, and getting vegetables out of the bottom drawer nearly killed me. This FD fridge predates my reno and I've kept it because it's only 3 years old and works fine. But that bottom freezer is a killer, particularly if the drawer is full and heavy. Part of my ''kitchen'' reno included an upright freezer downstairs so I can use the freezer drawer less. I don't think there's a good answer to this problem as there will always be something in the bottom of the fridge/freezer regardless of the model. However, my next fridge will have ice in the door which will eliminate having to dig ice out of the bottom freezer.

My oven does have easy-glide racks, like you suggested, Gary.

rc, I'm sorry to hear about your back problems. It sounds like you're coping with different mechanisms than I.

• katyde
    13 years ago

You're a person after my own heart - ergonomic liquor cabinet!

• lyvia
    13 years ago

Wonderful - thanks so much for the info. I was thinking about raising out dishwasher six inches and wondering if it would make a difference. I love that sink - the Blanco cascade - oversized with shelf and it comes in great colors. But we would probably raise that too, to reach the bottom of it. Maybe four inches for both the DW and sink. It would raise the "drying" space on top of the DW, but it's not like it's out of reach, even for us.

• caffeinequeen
    13 years ago

Thanks for the info! I noticed the dishwasher platform in the photos, but didn't see the bottom of the range. We recently did something similar, but raised everything only 2 inches to 38. The difference in comfort is very noticeable. We left the dishwasher at floor lever with a filler strip at the top for ease of installation-now I'm thinking we may change that someday. Not that 2 inches will make a big difference when one has to bend over anyway.

Designers don't seem to think about the fact that the average height of men and women has steadily increased over the years, but the 'traditional" dimensions in home design don't change much.

• pinch_me
    13 years ago

Hey!! I miss coming here for two days and then when I do make it back, Warmfridge is here with her new kitchen! Ida 'bout given ya up, friend!

Love those knobs!

I've already changed my corner diagonals to lazy susans and thinking I might change the bottom diagonals to lazy susans, too. I've never liked lazy susans but those bottom corners are a killer!

Don't cha just smile every time ya think of the new kitchen?

• warmfridge
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hey Pinch,

Ida 'bout given up on this kitchen too. There's still a punch list of things to be done, and I can't wait until I can clear the boxes of things waiting to be installed off my island forever!

I don't think you'll regret the lazy Susans at all.

• lazy_gardens
    13 years ago

Ah that's 5" taller than me, but even I find the "normal" height counters a bit too low for doing somethings.

My 6'4" SO is lusting after taller counters. It's quite possible that we'll have an elevated DW under part of the work surface.