Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beekeeperswife_gw

Photoshopped Arabesques ready for Reveal

beekeeperswife
11 years ago

I am so grateful to all of you who took the time to share your opinions about the gray vs white grout with my arabesque tiles. Each and every one of you made excellent points.

The status report is this: Nothing. We will be tiling this weekend. I have not heard yet from the photographer to see when drop-dead deadline is.

I'm hoping that once the tiles are up, it will be clear to me which way I should go with the grout.

Corgimum was so kind to squeeze in some photoshopping this past weekend. I have photos of the tile with gray for you to look at.

I think that if we do the gray, I'm hoping the grout lines might be smaller than in the photos below. I think with the white, they were very wide, I'd like to see them smaller if possible.

Slush, do you think it's possible since the tiles seem "tighter" than the last time I did this?

Please notice that the tile has 2 different heights. I thought for sure I'd be taking it up to the height of the bottom of the hood, but I'm not sure how that will look now with the raised panel on the end of the cabinet. Again, I'll have to make that call later. My 2 choices are the height of the warming shelf, or the bottom the hood. I thought the bottom of the hood will give me a smoother transition between the 36" wide stainless sheet and the 42" hood.

But here you go.

Thanks for looking.

Bee

Comments (61)

• purplepansies
    11 years ago

Go Team Gray!

• 2LittleFishies
    11 years ago

Gray : )

• billy_g
    11 years ago

BKW, do you have enough tile to do mockups on boards with both gray and white grout? It might be worth doing so.

(Plus everyone gets to vote again!)

Right now I like white.

Billy

• desertsteph
    11 years ago

white

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

White. Still.

• poohpup
    11 years ago

Super easy decision. Gray all the way to the ceiling! White is the "safe" choice. That gray is going to be stunning!

• deedles
    11 years ago

Changing my vote to white. Didn't think of the width of the grout issue. I'm now finding it 'puzzely' as BL stated above, with the grey grout. I agree with Petra66 completely.

• oldbat2be
    11 years ago

Bee - thought of this the other day, might relieve your mind. Mount the tiles temporarily in a section large enough for you to get a feel for the colors, from CT to lower cabinets, using double-sided sticky tape. Then, grout using both colors. The tiles are pretty easy to chip off and the grout will come right off too, so you can reuse the ones you temporarily mount. By Friday, the grout will have dried and you'll know which way to go. Good luck!

• hobokenkitchen
    11 years ago

Just an observation - the grey votes have it by a landslide yet you are still not sure. That to me speaks volumes.

Like when you can't decide something so you flip a coin and are then disappointed in the result and realize the other choice is what you really wanted all along.

I think you really want the white or you would have decided on the grey already with all those votes.

Of course I could be totally wrong, but just a suggestion! : )

• lascatx
    11 years ago

I really like that tile, and I do like the grey grout with it, but I'm not loving the combination in that kitchen. It doesn't fight or clash, -- the parts work, but the whole isn't equal to or greater than the sum of the parts, if you know what I mean. It actually detracts from the mental image I have of your kitchen.

I know you love the arabesques, and if you are set on using them, I'd go with white grout or try a lighter, silver grey. But while I loved the tile in your last kitchen, I think my personal choice would be to find something new for your new kitchen. I love your style. You have great vision, and if your heart says this is it when you are standing in your kitchen looking at everything together, then I trust that. But if you keep posting because that inner voice is doubting the choice, keep looking.

• Sherrie Moore
    11 years ago

Love the grey grout! But do what you will truly be happy with in your kitchen

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    11 years ago

hoboken, my mind is just spinning. I want the gray to be right. I really do. I want something different. I want the gray to look like a shadow. But, I know what the white looks like, and I do like it. What I'm afraid will happen with the gray is that it won't read as "one" but rather a bunch of tiles. And with (our) busy counters I'm afraid that when you see the kitchen you will see the tiles first. I'm not sure one's eye should be immediately drawn to the backsplash. I kind of want the whole kitchen to be balanced.

So, with that being said, I think I do need to wait to see the installation and see if the grout joints are tighter than the first time. If the light gray can be used and really just accent the shadow lines, we are good. If they will be bigger like the white ones in the last house, then I will do white.

White will hide a multitude of sins.

I am not doing any more sample boards for now. I'm not sure I'm mixing the grout correctly since the bags always tell you how to mix 25# of the stuff and I don't need to mix up 25# to do a sample board so I'm guessing anyway--which is probably not giving me the right color.

And yes, the gray won by a landslide in the voting. And it DOES look good with the tile. No doubt. It's just the nagging question, "is it right in MY kitchen?" that I can't answer.

Bee

• Bunny
    11 years ago

I'm switching my vote to white. :( I loved the sample board with gray, but probably because it was small. I think the bevels and shadows they create are enough of a textural/patterned element for the expanse of tile in your kitchen. I wanted to love the gray, but I think it will be too busy.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

Another one who still thinks white

• francoise47
    11 years ago

White!

• bellsmom
    11 years ago

I love GW! I learn so much from reading and thinking about the decisions others face.
    In this case, Bee, I think you nailed it with the comment that the grey seemed to define individual tiles, a ''bunch'' of tiles. The white, in contrast, creates a quilted surface which, to me, reads, as a quilt would, as somewhat soft.

I think part of that depends on the shifting shadows and the way the white grout is grey with some shadow angles and white with others. Also, the dimensional nature of the tile seems more apparent with the white grout, which emphasizes the shadowed edges.

This image is crude but somewhat explains what I mean:

So, do you want a textured white quilt or a pattern of individual tiles?

• lillyvt
    11 years ago

Gray, gray all the way! That's my motto. With apologies to your former kitchen and to all the others out there who have white tile (subway, arabesque, etc.) with white grout, I have always felt that it looks too white, too stark and that the starkness is actually what competes with the counters and cabinets. To my eye, the gray actually melds better with the counters. But either way, enjoy your beautiful kitchen, Lilly

• lascatx
    11 years ago

The grey definitely outlines the tiles and makes you see each one. And the individual tiles were the first thing I saw when looking at the photos above.

They are beautiful tiles, but you do seem to have a nagging doubt about them in this kitchen.

• kirkhall
    11 years ago

I think I would take the tiles higher (for sure not just to the warming shelf). I am unsure if you need to go even higher than your hood though, as I am not as familiar with your kitchen as others.

• lalithar
    11 years ago

Bee,
    I do not think you have the best gray possible. Can you try for something lighter/ silvery. A couple of us suggested blending in a bit of the metallic dazzle grout from spectralock.. You could play with it to see if you can make it pop!

I do not like the tile all the way up.. The tile ending at the warming shelf and seeing the paint there is a bit of a relief for the eye.. The balance reads much better.

• starinasgarden
    11 years ago

Now that I see the gray grout, White without a doubt!

• slush1422
    11 years ago

My vote is still white! I think you could definitely take the tiles a little closer though - but I'm not sure how much closer you could get. We did not end up using any spacers, so that might help you to get it tighter. The guys were just "slapping" them on - and I still loved the way it came out (like you said "white will hide a multitude of sins.") I think your best bet is when you install them - try to get them as close as you can in case you decide to go with the gray.

• caminnc
    11 years ago

I still vote for gray and I would go up to the bottom of the hood. You will know before the tile is halfway up which grout color you like the best. Will the same person be tiling your bs as before?

• rosie
    11 years ago

They're absolutely lovely, and I know you're going to be happy with them. But--white. Definitely. The shadow lines will provide the narrower gray.

• KBSpider
    11 years ago

Just puttin' in my daily vote for "silvery" GRAY... :)

• ellendi
    11 years ago

Still white ;)

• AboutToGetDusty
    11 years ago

It will look good nomatter what :-)
    My vote is for light silvery gray - the perfect compromise!

• billy_g
    11 years ago

BKW, I think you need only one sample board - gray. If you like the gray look you'll probably keep it without looking at the white. if you don't like it, you'll go with white.

Of course I don't know that -- it's just my guess!

I think you can mix part of the bag of grout and be OK for this size job (not using multiple bags of grout), or you can just buy another 25lb bag of grout for the backsplash. It's a small expense compared to your desire to get it right.

Billy

• laila619
    11 years ago

I'd try a different, lighter gray. But gray for sure!!

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    11 years ago

NO NEED TO VOTE ANYMORE!!!!!

I have chosen a winner and I'm not telling. That would be like revealing a baby's name before it is born. you know.....I don't want to hear that I can't name him/her that because that is the name of the person with whom you went to the Prom and it was a disaster.... Well, you get the idea.

Photographer is coming either the 22nd or 23rd. My dh says we do well under pressure.

I also found a light for over the sink today....AT LOWE'S of all places. ($35) But...they didn't arrive yet, only the sample is up. How wrong is that? I was going to repeat the lovely light I had in the last house, but it is discontinued and nobody has it. Lowe's said it might be in this weekend. Cross your fingers.

So, once the bs is done, I'll post pictures. And those of you who don't like it, please just pretend you do.

• kitchen_maman
    11 years ago

Bee, I cannot wait to see what you choose. It will be beautiful no matter what. I found the "cheaper" version at home depot and fell in love. Then I went looking for examples and fell in love with your former kitchen! I cannot wait to have them in my new kitchen.

• caminnc
    11 years ago

OMG, that's like 11 days away. Sigh!!!

• drewem
    11 years ago

Best of luck with the install! Fingers crossed for the light.

• Ann Scheley
    11 years ago

Wow!! That is a loooooooooong wait...Good luck! Hope everything runs smoothly. I think I can wait, I think I can, I think I can...

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I won't make you wait that long. When it's done I'll post photos.

• Ann Scheley
    11 years ago

I'll be patient, I promise. :)

• 2LittleFishies
    11 years ago

bee- That's how I feel about my decisions! "Once I do it just please pretend you all love it" : ) lol

It will be beautiful!!!

• ellendi
    11 years ago

I don't think there ever was or ever will be a kitchen that has taken on a life of it's own like yours did Bee!
    I'm glad you made a decision and look forward to your reveal:)

• gardenamy
    11 years ago

I bet you are SO relieved to have made a decision...good for you! Whether a baby boy (gray) or a girl (white)...it will be stunning! Congrats on the light...great find.

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

I can't wait to see your decision. I remember all of the votes snd advice and when I posted what I was going to do, I thought I would be slammed with "I hate it" but instead "I love what you did".
    I'll be watching from iPhone.
    Cryptic from iPhone.

• chiefy
    11 years ago

Can't wait to see the reveal!
    I had(have) a strong vote for gray, but I don't think there's any way the white is going to look BAD. It's just a matter of preference. So don't worry about anybody hating it. And we're too polite to say so anyway ;)

• momo7
    11 years ago

Yay, you decided! I never voted because I just couldn't decide so I will really like whatever you do.

I also think I am unable to make another decision. The builder asked me to go out to the house and tell so and so where I want paper holders to be hung. I said no, you can decide. I was afraid he might make me sit on the toilet so I could see how it would feel IRL.

• ellendi
    11 years ago

I'm biting my nails......:)

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    11 years ago

momo7---go to the house! Don't let him decide! He will without a doubt place the TP holder directly in the line of sight from the doorway! Go!! Really!!

(spoken from someone who has already done her first drywall repair after ripping down and moving TP holder)

• starinasgarden
    11 years ago

I just got home, put a few groceries(ok, wine) away, and thought... hmm, I wonder what beekeeperswife decided with the grout? OMG, what if she posted photos!?
    Lol! It will be very beautiful and special either way, but another vote for the WHITE! :-)

• lolauren
    11 years ago

I know you've made your decision, but just saw a photo that might help:

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.bhg.com/kitchen/remodeling/planning/low-cost-kitchen-updates/#page=17

• islanddevil
    11 years ago

I was undecided and didn't think you could go wrong either way, but still can't wait to see what you decided.

So photographer is coming the 22 or 23rd? Then when is the install? Now that I know when the prom photos will be taken I need to know when the "dress fitting" is happening! :>)

Did you decide how high you'll be taking the tile or is mum the word on that too for now?

Bee I keep going back to your pics and notice more details each time. Can you tell me about the backsplash behind your range? Love how it reflects the sparkle of your chandelier. Not sure where one piece ends and another starts. Is it part of your range or hood or fabricated seperately? Can you please tell me how that look is achieved? Is it stainless and how do you care/clean it without scratching? Who makes the range, hood and piece inbetween?
    Thankks!

• Ivan I
    11 years ago

lolauren, interesting photo. Looks like those have a tan grout?

• desertsteph
    11 years ago

" I was afraid he might make me sit on the toilet so I could see how it would feel IRL."

you'll survive that - really! I did - lol! yep, yrs ago when the Amish guys were building our addition they would call me out to it for things like that. the tp holder, the laundry chute in the bathroom and where the clothes landed in the laundry room in the basement. They wanted to be sure the 'bin' for the clothes came down low enough for me to reach it and unlatch it. I appreciated that they took the time and care to be sure things were done the way we (me) wanted it.

• AboutToGetDusty
    11 years ago

Bee, looking forward to seeing how it all comes together- beautifully, I'm sure!
    Momo7, my contractor indeed had me sit and make sure the toilet holder was in the right spot, lol!