Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindy1096_gw

Galaxy Tool Supply - HORRIBLE

lindy1096
11 years ago

I made the mistake of ordering our kitchen sink through Galaxy Tool Supply after reading such great reviews here on GW. Spoke on Wed, 9/26 to a super helpful guy, Jerry that answered lots of questions for me and said the sink that said backordered online would actually be in Friday 9/28. Perfect! I called back the next day to order it (after speaking to my husband). I really wanted Jerry to help me again but Yabi said no. I had to order through him. He said it would ship Friday, 9/28. I got my confirmation email (with both my first and last name misspelled - when the sink hadn't arrived this week I double checked my shipping address multiple times to make sure it was right because my name isn't hard to spell and if he screwed that up...). I wrote to Yabi Friday evening to ask if I would get a shipping confirmation email. On Monday he said yes and that due to a high volume it did not ship on Friday as I was told it would and that it would not ship until Monday, Oct 1. On Wed, Oct 3 I wrote to him again to follow up on the tracking number because I had still not received anything. I never heard back. Today I called and she checked the shipping status and they did not ship it until Wed, Oct 3!! She claims it was because of the cutting board I ordered. If that is the case, they should tell that to people. So now the sink is set to arrive on Tues! I need it now. Our template is on Tuesday. I have read on GW that sometimes the sinks are damaged (dented) when it arrives so I need to make sure it looks good before I had it over to the counter people. I am beyond angry right now. This is unacceptable to me! I spoke to Tasha (who claimed she was the manager once I asked to speak to one) and there is nothing they can do she says. They have no more in stock (I told her they need to intercept the package that went out yesterday and overnight one to me) but no. I will NEVER do business with this company again and will make sure to tell everyone else to stay away as well!

Comments (29)

• lindy1096
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Just checked and we were charged the day I
    ordered yet they didn't ship it for almost a week!

• weissman
    11 years ago

Sorry, but given what many people go through on this board, a week's delay in shipping a backordered item does not seem like such a big deal. You should be upset with yourself for waiting until the last minute to order it instead of planning ahead. If the time frame is that tight, perhaps you should buy it locally and not wait for shipping.

• live_wire_oak
    11 years ago

I'm sorry you're frustrated, but you put yourself into that situation by waiting too close to the deadline to purchase something that needed shipping. Much less something that was on back order. That's something for you to learn for the logistics next time you need to order something. Or yes, order locally from a brick and mortar that has merchandise in stock.

• pharaoh
    11 years ago

Remember - Speed, Cost, Quality. You can have the best of all three.
    In other words, when you want high quality at lost cost then you have to sacrifice on Speed aka buying online. Everyone will tell you on this forum that you need to have everything in your house well in advance because there will always be delays when you try to save money...

Peace.

• hobokenkitchen
    11 years ago

It's sounds like an annoyance, but really a minor one. You may have to push back template by a day or two but it's not the end of the world.

Renovations are stressful, but try not to let a small incident cause you so much stress - it could be much worse. Soon it will be in and you'll have forgotten the inconvenience.

• Fori
    11 years ago

whoa!

Yes, Galaxy should have been more accurate with their delivery times.

But still!

• alwaysfixin
    11 years ago

And companies don't generally charge until something ships.

Actually, they do. Generally charge immediately upon receiving the order, that is.

I am with the others that a delay that you described is not such a big deal. Have you read the threads on this forum about ruined granite, flooded floors, cracked sinks, appliances DOA, entire cabinetry order incorrect, and the like? Didn't someone post that their husband tragically passed away as they were starting their kitchen reno? Lindy, you are frantic over a sink, and a few days delay. Think about that in context of what's really important in life, and take a deep breath.

• laila619
    11 years ago

Sorry about your troubles. Kitchen renovations suck! I can relate.

• DCJersey
    11 years ago

WHy was my earlier comment on this thread deleted? I simply pointed out the rude nature that laila619 handled the situation with galazy and with weismann. He/she needs to be called out on her poor behavior.

• angela12345
    11 years ago

Posted by lindy1096 (My Page) on Wed, Sep 26, 12 at 1:43
    I looked at their site tonight for the first time and every sink I clicked on is backordered! Is that normal for this place?

Posted by lindy1096 (My Page) on Wed, Sep 26, 12 at 17:24
    So I just called them and the sinks I was looking at will be available Friday so I should get it next week.

Posted by lindy1096 (My Page) on Thu, Oct 4, 12 at 15:51
    ... Spoke on Wed, 9/26 ... and said the sink that said backordered online would actually be in Friday 9/28. I called back the next day to order it. He said it would ship Friday, 9/28. On Monday he said yes and that due to a high volume it did not ship on Friday .... Today I called ... and they did not ship it until Wed, Oct 3!! She claims it was because of the cutting board I ordered. So now the sink is set to arrive on Tues! I need it now. Our template is on Tuesday. I have read on GW that sometimes the sinks are damaged (dented) when it arrives so I need to make sure it looks good before I had it over to the counter people. ... I will NEVER do business with this company again and will make sure to tell everyone else to stay away as well

Posted by lindy1096 (My Page) on Thu, Oct 4, 12 at 18:38
    You are kidding right? ... It wasn't back ordered! It was there on Thursday when I ordered it! Do you know how to read? Totally crappy company. There was plenty of time for it to arrive if they actually shipped it when they said they would.

Posted by lindy1096 (My Page) on Thu, Oct 4, 12 at 19:17
    The sink was there Thursday when I placed my order and was told it would ship the next day - Friday.

I don't know about everyone else, but I CAN read. Multiple times it was said that the sink would not be coming into their warehouse until Friday. I imagine that they might have been scrambling because maybe it did not come in to them until late Friday. Plus they had a high volume of orders to fill because almost all of their sinks were backordered. Even still, you waited and did not order until Thursday, which put you further back in line. Normally they ship the day after an order is placed so they said they were going to ship the next day on Friday. But instead they shipped Wednesday, which is only 3 business days later than they stated and only 3 business days from when their shipment arrived.

It is unfortunate that you waited until 1-1/2 weeks before you needed the sink to start looking on the website and place your order. Not that I am maligning you. I would be the last person to throw stones. I held up our build on a couple items and pushed others to the last minute which did cause some delays that were my fault. I do empathize with the situation you are in.

I would, however, encourage you to curb your "enthusiasm" on the forum. All of us here are strangers helping others out of the goodness of our hearts on something we are mutually interested in and passionate about. Not everyone will always agree with what others have to say, but we are respectful and do not resort to name calling around here.

Also, you need to fully activate your account. If you will follow these steps, you can get follow ups to the threads that you post ... Getting Emails Sent To You - 3-step Process ... http://ths.gardenweb.com/faq/lists/kitchbath/2011124917007513.html

The good news is, I do not think you need your sinks for the granite people to template. My granite people did not have my Ticor sinks for templating. They did have them before they started cutting the stone. If that doesn't work, maybe they could template later in the afternoon on Tuesday after the sink comes in or the next day instead. My sink was very well packed and no damage. But even if there is damage, you would have time for a new sink to come in while they were fabricating the stone, then you could send the first one back.

• laila619
    11 years ago

"WHy was my earlier comment on this thread deleted? I simply pointed out the rude nature that laila619 handled the situation with galazy and with weismann. He/she needs to be called out on her poor behavior."

Hmroo? I didn't do anything.

• enduring
    11 years ago

Laila619, you posted a very supportive brief response to this situation. There must have been some confusion on names for DCJersy. The OP's name starts with an "L" too followed by "#'s".

But Laila, what does "Hmroo" mean? :)

• DCJersey
    11 years ago

My apologies to Laila, I meant lindy.

• mamadadapaige
    11 years ago

I don't want to get involved in the controversy but just wanted to reiterate the importance of having the sink ahead of time. In fact, my plan SO hinged on having a particular sink that I ordered the sinks before I placed the cabinet order... I wanted to maximize my sink size to base cabinet size and only one sink would work... In my case (and maybe in many others) the sink size is/was absolutely critical and thus having it on site (FOR MONTHS) is what I did. Takes the stress out and that is the name of the game when renovating.

• CEFreeman
    11 years ago

I'm not sure why mine was deleted, either.

My wishes stand.
    I truly hope that in the scope of life, this is the absolute worst thing that ever happens to the OP. Because if it is, she is the luckiest person on the planet.

And..
    I still maintain that both people who lowered themselves to name calling need to take a breath. Beginning with the OP.

Templaters are used to delays and for them, it's probably not the first nor last time, and I'll bet they don't work themselves into a frenzy!

I truly hope the sink is exactly what you want.
    If it isn't, or if it is damaged as you fear, (think positively, why not?) you've really backed yourself into a corner for a while longer.

Based upon the good recommendations this company has had here on this forum, the experience you created is not the norm. And, it's not the forum's fault you wait until the last minute. (I hear blame in your first post.)

What's that bumper sticker say? "A lack of planning on your part does not make an emergency on my part?" or something like that. Really. Take a breath and hang in there. This will shake out.

• beekeeperswife
    11 years ago

A lot of fabricators get the CAD info for the sinks directly from the suppliers. I know my guys just have computer files for sinks from Galaxy. Even if you do give them your sink, sometimes they don't even open the box, they just use the online specs...like when the cabinetmaker makes your cabinets.

• Buehl
    11 years ago

Our sink came from Galaxy as well, but in our case it arrived a couple of days earlier than estimated. However, what I wanted to point out is that many sinks come with a paper or cardboard template (ours did) that your fabricator may be able to use if your sink is damaged and needs to be replaced.

FWIW, our sink was undamaged...

• EATREALFOOD
    11 years ago

When my counters were measured I emailed all of the sink/faucet/filter model numbers directly to the dealer. He didn't need the fiberboard template that came with the sink-went directly to frankes web site for the CAD like bee said. I had the sink (for a year before cabinet order-I thought reno would start sooner:( because I knew I wanted to maximize the sink size and the sink had a 4 week wait. I was so convinced that the reno would start sooner and when I realized that everything I was ordering had a wait I started buying well in advance.
    It's not a big deal to reschedule the template for a few days...
    I hope your sink comes in on Tuesday in good condition. You'll forget this once you see it installed in your counters.

• mamadadapaige
    11 years ago

my granite templaters took the sinks with them. i like that - makes me feel there is no better way of getting it exact.

• beekeeperswife
    11 years ago

mama, mine took them too. But they never opened them. Go figure

• jerzeegirl
    11 years ago

I would have been mad also if my credit card was charged before the item was shipped. It's only my opinion but I think it's kind of sleazy. It cuts down your warranty period since the credit card receipt with the date on it is proof of when the item was purchased.

• dan547362
    11 years ago

Were there some posts deleted on this? Didn't the OP call another poster a nasty name becauseWeismann made a suggestion?

I bought my sink from Galaxy and everything went fine.

• hsw_sc
    11 years ago

Negative and/or nasty posts are deleted for a reason (I saw both and neither were worth repeating). When there is no point to be made and no one else is going to "learn" from the background of said posts they are "lost". It's a good thing.

• tress21
    11 years ago

I too neglected to order my sink on time. Some other problems came up, my electricity was off, and all of a sudden I needed a sink in 5 days. And I'm sure I'm not the only novice renovator who's called Galaxy and begged, or rushed out to Home Depot at 9 pm because we forgot to order xxx. Jerry was able to Fed-Ex the paper templates for my sinks, as buehl mentioned above. It did cost me $10, but the counter guys used the templates and everything turned out well.

Best wishes for your reno.

• annkathryn
    11 years ago

I ordered my sink well ahead of time because it was hard to find and I didn't want to take any chances. It came with a sturdy template that I offered to the guy who came out to template the counters. He sniffed at it and said "those are never right, we never use them" and packed up the sink to take to his shop.

I think if they've got the sink there are no possible excuses for the fabrication being incorrect in that area. Fine with me :-)

• lindy1096
    Original Author
    11 years ago

An update to this horrible company - almost two months later we are STILL waiting for the grids that were to come with the sink. It was also to include two different strainers but instead they shipped two of the same (and they are complete crap, as my contractor put it). I have called once more and asked for a manager. The gentleman claimed to be one and sure enough a month later we're still waiting. I might add that their employee, Tasha, is a liar. She claimed to be a manager when she is in fact not one at all. And a side note - when our sink arrived it was the EXACT same sink we purchased from Costco (a 19 gauge Elkay). Don't be fooled by this company's claims that their sinks are 16 gauge.

I know so many of you GW folks like this company and can't stand my negative review but they run a crappy company and it should be pointed out. If you want to order a sink (that is actually there in stock even though their website says it's not), be charged the same day you place the order but don't have your item shipped for another whole week and then receive an incomplete order then this is the company for you!

• Circus Peanut
    11 years ago

I have no horse in this race, but it would seem that if you received an item that is not as described (19 gauge instead of 16) the first thing to do is return the sink for a full refund and order a different brand somewhere else. You might have saved yourself a lot of trouble by returning the Galaxy sink and buying a second Elkay sink?

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

The CC companies try to enforce 'no billing till shipped' and most merchants comply (I did see it in a merchant contract once with a CC servicer).

If there are enough complaints the merchant looses their CC privileges.

Special orders and custom things are a different matter.

You also have to keep in mind that the stated gauge is often of the blank the sink was made from.

When the flat blank is stamped the metal stretches and becomes thinner to form the sink bowl.

The only place you can measure is at the top edges of the sink.

• friedajune
    11 years ago

Galaxy Tool Supply is a good retailer. People reading this thread now may not be aware that when Lindy1096 posted initially in early October, i.e. two months ago, several of her posts were deleted due to very harsh language and her extreme responses to anyone who didn't agree with her. You can kind of tell if you scroll up to Fori's and DCJersey's posts how shocking Lindy's posts were.

While certainly every retailer can have a blip, or not be perfect 100% of the time, the Kitchens Forum has seen so many GWers happy with their Galaxy Tool Supply service and sinks.

Hurricane Sandy may have had an effect on shipping times, I don't know. Though bringing up Hurricane Sandy and its devastation puts into perspective Lindy's fury over her sink grids.

I am certain that Galaxy Tool Supply's 16-guage sinks by Ticor are not the same as Elkay's 19-gauge sink sold at Costco. Lindy's claim is incorrect.

Galaxy Tool Supply is a very small shop, and they likely empowered Tasha to act as manager, even if that is not exactly her title. With a small business, everyone wears different hats. I can only imagine the tongue-lashing Tasha has received from Lindy, and I feel bad for her. Tasha I am sure has no control over shipping times.

This post was edited by akchicago on Mon, Dec 3, 12 at 21:43