Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ainelane

What makes this "busy" Houzz kitchen work?

ainelane
9 years ago

I'd like to understand what makes this kitchen work, esthetically.

I'm drawn to the look of this style, but I don't know why and I don't have the vocabulary to describe what is going on here in this image.

I feel like if I said I wanted to do a kitchen with 3 different cabinet colours, 2 (or 3?) different door styles, stainless appliances, brass fixtures and 3 different wood finishes in the accents - all in a room with an 8' ceiling - it would sound like a disaster!
So, how does it work here?

Or, if you don't think it works, why not and what would you change?

Comments (36)

• Vertise
    9 years ago

One thing I notice, that I think contributes to pulling it off here, is the dark cabinets above kind of recede and the white cabinetry below spills into the upper cabinets, integrating the two levels and making the backdrop read more white. I also think the blue island being skewed, along with that beam, separates it a bit more, both physically and psychologically - and gives it a more relaxed, funky anything goes vibe. If it were all dark cabinets above, light below (or vice versa) and a blue island all lined up and delineated blocks of color, I'm not sure it would look right. Although, change the color scheme and you might have something else that works.

I like it too. Eclectic is harder to pull off though. You need a knack or talent for it, although it can certainly come naturally.

• Teehee1984
    9 years ago

Maybe you're looking for the word "eclectic"? Or, rather, your taste is eclectic?

I guess that would be the polar opposite of "too matchy-matchy"! ðÂÂÂ

www.thefreedictionary.com/eclectic
    Selecting or employing individual elements from a variety of sources, systems, or styles: an eclectic taste in music; an eclectic approach to managing the ...

• bobbie2010
    9 years ago

I like this, and I like that they left the pole in the middle. I did not and boxed it in and made a return duct

Electic is the best word
    The hardware pulls it together. The dark paint on the window too

• powermuffin
    9 years ago

The dark color on the cabinets is echoed in the island top, stools, wood post, appliances and the floor. So it pulls the kitchen together. The white is clearly the neutral background. I really like this kitchen. It has a lot of interest and texture without feeling too busy.
    Diane

• kompy
    9 years ago

Can you post the link to that kitchen (very nice, I agree!)? Is the island and wall cabinets the same color or different. I think the same, just lighting differences. I think this works because everything is balanced out.

Dark flanking the range hood area.....dark at the other end over the refrigerator. Surprise matching window trim makes it all work too. The floor is dark, then white base cabinets, then dark countertop, then light backsplash. The contrast and balance all make it work.

I'm actually a fan of mixing metals in a kitchen. I am always explaining this to my clients that it's OK to mix and if anything....BETTER to mix than to have it all the same. Yes, there are some very nice kitchens with all satin nickel everything! (ie faucet, hardware and lighting.) But mixing it up, to me, adds interest. I have a display in my front window with RUST hardware, Stainless range and hood, chrome pot filler....and it looks beautiful. If it were all chrome or satin nickel, it wouldn't look as interesting. In my own kitchen, I have SS appliances, chrome faucets, polished nickel hardware and matte black lighting fixtures.

• live_wire_oak
    9 years ago

Weeeellll, don't hate, but I don't think it does "work", and I like ecclectic. From the elephant in the room of the post to the freestanding bookcase just tucked under the end of the island, to the heavy dark cabinets above the range, there are just too many issues. It's self consciously "collected" rather than unfitted.

Things that keep it from being too kaleidoscope are the use of the brass all the way around the room, the soapstone, and the use of the white all the way around the room. That forms a consistent base for the other elements to play off of. I just don't think that enough ties together the other different elements to really pull it off though. It's too "close your eyes and point" at the colors and woods used.

• elphaba_gw
    9 years ago

I agree with you totally. I LOVE it. But I know I could never pull it off, even with a designer. I wonder what the history of the kitchen is. Perhaps its one of those cases where the owner did the kitchen piece-meal, one section at a time instead of a total design before it was built. Perhaps she (or he) just put in what she loved making sure it fit in with the other pieces at the time.

I kind of think that eclectic might most often come from a "bottom up" approach instead of a "top down" but I'm just guessing. If you have the luxury of adding one piece of element at a time and completely installing it before selecting and adding the next, your end result might look more "organic" (which is a word perhaps used too much these days but I think it totally fits with this design.)

p.s. I think the white cabinets and the lower gray island cabinets might be Ikea "Lidingo". I've got those and I like them because they aren't too traditional and not too modern, somewhere in between especially if you choose the modern hardware for drawers and cabinets.

This post was edited by elphaba on Thu, Oct 23, 14 at 17:35

• marcolo
    9 years ago

There's less randomness than you think.

Look at the proportion of white and blue. You're basically looking at a white room, with accents. The lowers and many (most?) of the uppers are white, the dishes are white, the tile is white. If every color appeared in equal proportion, it would be chaotic.

The brass isn't random, it's a perfect complement to the dark blue.

Plus, every element appears all the way around the room. The white, the blue, the brass--everywhere you look there's a little something; even the reclaimed wood tone reappears in the peekaboo bookcase.

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago

The island cabinets are definitely light blue, not white.

I think the key to making it work is about $80,000. And a lotta white.

• ainelane
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Kompy, here is a link to another view of the kitchen on Houzz. There are some more views of it on that page too. The island looks more grey in some images.

You guys have given such excellent feedback. I'm starting to piece this together in my mind.

Yes, I see how "eclectic" is the right word here. And I agree that it's very tricky to pull off! This is one of the most "mashed-up" kitchens I've seen. I think it's a very good point that the skewed angle of the island helps here, as does so much of a white background. You have all raised such good points.

I'd also love to see a kitchen like this, but less casual. Something a little more dressed up. Not sure if that would work though..... Maybe the casual aspect of it is allowing for the "anything goes" style?

Here is a link that might be useful: [More pics of the Houzz Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/rustic-kitchen-rustic-kitchen-phvw-vp~2972741)

• ainelane
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I noticed in the Houzz link that I just posted that they've titled the kitchen "Rustic Kitchen". In another view of that same kitchen they've titled it "Contemporary Kitchen".

So, the words that would be used to describe this kitchen would be:
    eclectic
    contemporary
    rustic
    casual

Is that right? Any other words?
    When I showed it to DH to see if he likes it, he called it "grungy". Does that apply? What's a better design word for that? I'm sure the designers didn't sell it to the homeowner by calling it grungy? :)

(Forgive me if these questions are stupid! I'm trying to learn)

• elphaba_gw
    9 years ago

Maybe add a little more white, swap out the butcher block and add a backsplash that has some glitter (mother of pearl tile?) and it would be more dressed up. [ from the ikea web site]

• Hydragea
    9 years ago

Just want to add that I think the dark cabs above range might actually be an inky blue (and if they're black, they'd be better as a dark dark navy). The soapstone has blue in it too.
    So it's a tone on tone blue theme.
    Sarah Richardson does tone-on-tone really well.

• bbstx
    9 years ago

When asked the color of the island, the designer responded "The color is actually the same as the cabinets to the left and right of the hood. The difference that we see is the exterior natural light shining on one surface more than the other. It is a color that was matched from a cabinet manufacturer that I have lost the information to. However, I know that the color name is carbon. With some research you may be able to locate it. Good luck, and thanks for the inquiry!"

In this photo if you get your monitor angle just right, you can see that the upper cabinets on either side of the hood are indeed the same as the island.

[Contemporary Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/contemporary-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2103)

And all along, I thought they were black.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

Seeing the rest of the room with more wood like the post makes the post more likable. I like the gray with the white and love the brass. I don't care as much for the wood of the bookcase, but that's a small quibble.

• elphaba_gw
    9 years ago

I don't like the kitchen quite as much when viewed with the rest of the house. It loses a lot of its vintage/eclectic style, IMO. But still nice. And concept of "tone on tone" is quite interesting. I think Lisa Quin does that quite well too. She's a decorator on Livewellnetwork.com

I also like the brass. Wish I would have been brave enough to do brass lights like these over my island instead of white porcelain. I've spent too much for my lighting to swap out now but maybe later. Oh well.

• ainelane
    Original Author
    9 years ago

bbstx (and others who caught this) - I have been obsessing over this kitchen for WEEKS, trying to visualize how I could work some black cabinets into my design and now I find out they're not even black! My mind is blown :) Good research.
    I think I like them better black.

elphaba - thanks for the inspiration pic! I agree with you about really liking that cabinet door style. I'm leaning that way right now.

I don't think this kitchen looks designed from the "bottom up" or "organically", but I certainly know what you mean. This kitchen to me looks like it was designed all at once to have that kind of collected, rustic look. But, like what live_wire_oak alluded to above in their dissenting opinion, maybe it's lacking some authenticity because of that.
    I still really like it but am very sceptical of being able to pull it off. And not just because DH doesn't like it and calls it grungy :)

• allison0704
    9 years ago

I found the first image interesting, but the second image (showing rest of area) changed my mind.

OP said "I'd also love to see a kitchen like this, but less casual."

Have you seen my kitchen? I have three paint colors and one stain, with three counter materials (two are wood) in our kitchen. These pictures (link below) are from when we finished building, 8 years ago.

As far as how I went about designing the kitchen, I had three pages torn from three different magazines. Island is a Chalon reproduction with a few changes. Black hutch was designed with ideas from two pages plus additions. Pine hutch was designed around the double plate rack and the use of chicken wire in the doors. The three different drawer/door hardware was chosen for each piece/section, different companies. Paint is all F&B. Island and pine pieces have black based glaze.

I selected the granite after the pieces arrived from England - wanted to see in person first. It's flecked with black, creme, brown (also used in laundry room with creme cabinets). All three areas (kitchen, hallway where black hutch is located, and laundry room) all have copper (backsplash, hood, sinks, faucets). But then the kitchen sink faucet and fridge handles are ORB. Faucet is a Rohl living finish and the handle is now soft brass from us using since we moved in.

One way someone could go about designing a complex idea such as this, is to make an idea board on your laptop. Grab/save screen images to study, tweak, etc.

I think it would be easier to do (by yourself, w/o KD) if you can visualize. I could look at our house plans and walk through the house 3D. DH could not, but he trusted me. lol

English kitchens are known for having more than one finish. The Workshop of David T Smith designed rustic, country and Shaker kitchens with more than one finish - unfitted style. These suggestions/styles won't be embraced by most KDs as they don't have experience in this style, are not cool with leaving their comfort zone and quite frankly would rather design yours then move on to the next kitchen.

Here is a link that might be useful: more kitchen pictures

• Vertise
    9 years ago

The front of the island, and sides, sure seems to be painted a blue, not the carbon gray color.

I would call it an eclectic contemporary country cottage style.

• Gooster
    9 years ago

I agree with snookums, the island appears to be two tone.

Call me a heretic, but that last photo makes me want to edit out those cabinets flanking the range and let that hood breathe (maybe with a wider hood)

• kompy
    9 years ago

Yep, I figured it was all the same color. That happens a lot when photographing a kitchen without professional lighting. One of my kitchens on Houzz is a golden paint. The uppers look like the true color but all the bases look like an off white! (see pic below. Took it with my old iphone 4)

I still like the grey and white HOUZZ kitchen a lot overall...has a very unique feel to it. Modern, yet rustic. Cool and warm at the same time!

But there are a few things I don't care for.
    1. I don't get the rolling bookcase. Can someone tell me why this is a good idea? Only thing I can think of....is you can roll it away and put a barstool there if you like. I don't mind the splash of wood there....kinda funky.

2. When using a farmsink, I prefer a fully integrated DW with matching panel. It just let's the farmsink stand out more. (also see my photo below....DW is right of the soapstone farm sink)

3. I'm not sure how I feel about the gap between the wall cabinets that are white and grey.

4. And not sure I like the lack of crown molding over the range area.

5. Bugs me that the cabinets flanking the hood are 50/50 split.

All minor details....and I'm sure the homeowner loves it and it's all their own!

But I still like this kitchen even seeing the whole room..
    Kompy

• kompy
    9 years ago

I just glanced at my desk and saw a Showplace Wood Products brochure. This kitchen has similar colors...the white and grey (bluish grey) cabinets. Has a more formal feel to it that the original posters Houzz pic. I really do like these colors together.

You can see more views at the Showplace website. Link Below.

Info is: Door style: Pendleton Inset : Species: Paint grade : Finish: White
    Island: Casual Vintage Smokey Blue

Here is a link that might be useful: http://showplacewood.com/Gallery/002gen/00002/192/192.04.html

• GreenDesigns
    9 years ago

I just can't get over the fact that the poor attention to the lighting lets the cabinets that are the same color appear to be such different colors. And the fact that the very dark color cabinets above the range don't appear to be lit to mitigate that fact that they are so dark in the middle of such light.

I'm also in the camp that would have strongly suggested to spend less on the acoutrements and more on the steel for the structure in order to eliminate the post. I think it's really distracting in it's placement. If it looked more intentionally designed with the cabinet placement, it would bug me a lot less.

I do like the touch of wood in the bookcase, but don't get the rolling aspect of it either. Of course, I don't have to live there. :)

• Vertise
    9 years ago

I don't see how people think the island is one color, the carbon gray. It clearly looks to have the front and sides painted blue, with the legs and other side the gray. The parts in shadow still look blue. I don't see how lighting can paint so cleanly within the lines. ( I now see the shelving is SS. )

I think the blue livens things up and gives it that eclectic look. HO

[Contemporary Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/contemporary-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2103)

href='https://www.houzz.com/photos/contemporary-kitchen-contemporary-kitchen-phvw-vp~2972751-Kitchen-contemporary-kitchen-other-metro'>;

This post was edited by snookums2 on Fri, Oct 24, 14 at 14:01

• lavender_lass
    9 years ago

I don't know, but I just saved it to my album :)

Thanks for posting!

• ainelane
    Original Author
    9 years ago

allison0704 - thank you for the link to your kitchen pics! It's absolutely stunning. I appreciate your design tips. I can visualize pretty well and have been pinning inspirations photos like crazy for the last year trying to piece together how I want the kitchen to look (mine isn't anywhere as grand a space as yours). I think quite a bit of it boils down to having courage and belief in one's own vision.

I really like the kitchens that Kompy posted. To me they are eclectic in a "quiet" way. Very nice.

I was searching on Houzz for "eclectic kitchens" to learn something and I came across this image.
    This is what I'm afraid will be the result if I go with an "eclectic, collected" look in my kitchen! The person who wrote the article on Houzz that this image came from says this room works, but I think it's a total disaster! I mean, does this room have ANY merit? Other than the ceilings. Seeing this makes me want to play it safe :)

If this is eclectic, I need to amend my design vision. Maybe I'm looking for "calm eclectic". Or "eclectic for those over 30".

Here is a link that might be useful: [Houzz[(https://www.houzz.com/magazine/eclectic-style-brave-color-mixes-stsetivw-vs~294554)

This post was edited by AineLane on Fri, Oct 24, 14 at 16:37

• Vertise
    9 years ago

Looks like a shot from a second hand store, lol. Incohesive. And yes, if you don't have a knack for it, that's what you'll get. A bunch of stuff, no conversation.

• bbstx
    9 years ago

That hot mess looks like the apartment of someone who just graduated college and Mom, and Granny, and Aunt Susie all unloaded stuff they had been dying to get rid of but just couldn't quite make it to Goodwill. Surely, whoever posted it was being snarky.

• kksmama
    9 years ago

Love the first kitchen, and Elphaba's inspiration, and Allison's gorgeous space (I'm still looking for something like her bridge medallion for my backsplash). But that last one is indeed the stuff of nightmares. There was a great thread on how people talk themselves from inspiration to disaster, linked below. Great warnings and insights.

Here is a link that might be useful: How did it go so wrong?

• ainelane
    Original Author
    9 years ago

kksmama - thank you so much for posting that link!! I hadn't seen that before. That was a great read.

Here I am worried that I will screw up "eclectic" and end up with some sort of mish-mash, when in reality, I think the more likely outcome would be playing it too safe and ending up with something "fine". Oh, how I don't want to feel the word "fine" after all the money and time is spent!!!

• ainelane
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have learned SO much from this thread. Thank you all for sharing your thoughts and talents.

I was back to my Pinterest boards looking for something similarly eclectic to the first kitchen in this post, but a bit more dressed-up and not so rustic. I found this one that I really like.
    I wonder if this one reads as more contemporary? To me it seems more European maybe?

• marcolo
    9 years ago

This is not rocket surgery. You're overthinking this. What you like isn't really "eclectic."

You want:

- white tile
    - mostly white cabinets
    - white countertops
    - white walls and ceilings
    - wood floors and possible additional accents in an interesting finish or format
    - a few accent black or (my preference) very dark blue cabinets
    - some stainless (appliances, maybe fixtures)
    - aged brass accents and lighting (especially brass pendants)

Ta da. You're done.

• jdesign_gw
    9 years ago

Doesn't totally work. Can live without the dark blue/grey uppers. The dark hood is accent enough. The Island is two toned the light blue part is not right. Walnut bookcase comes out of left field. Brings nothing. What would work better is all the white with the gray weathered beams and a complementary grey Island. If you look in the back ground you see the beams and window color go well.

• ainelane
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Marcolo - thanks for breaking it down for me. You have given me some clarity. I get accused of overthinking on a daily basis :)

I hope I can get some equally useful help when it comes time to choose WHICH white countertops, which white tile and which cabinet doors!

Aine

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

What bothers me about that kitchen is the weird angle of the island and the placement of the post. I did not go to the link, but the mix of colors and materials isn't a huge deal breaker for me. The varying distance between island and perimeter is, though. The bookshelves are easily rolled out of there to accommodate more seating and to erase cookbook clutter. Not a big deal. Wouldn't have been a big deal to construct one that matched the island either, and make it removable, too. As for lighting, photographers' lighting, followed by whatever adjustments were made in website, following monitor issues, and who knows how the colors really look?

• allison0704
    9 years ago

Thank you, AineLane and kksmama.

I almost went with a black island, but changed my mind after deciding it would be too dark for our space unless all the lights were on. We have an interior kitchen (no windows in that specif area), but get plenty of light from the breakfast room during the daytime. Nighttime is another story.

Look forward to seeing what you come up with for your kitchen.