Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scole115

Help! With my refridge/freezer wall!

scole115
10 years ago

Hi All- AS a long-time lurker I am reaching out for help. I like this look here: https://www.houzz.com/s/u=aHR0cDovL3d3dy5ob3V6ei5jb20vcGhvdG9zLzE5MTg0NS9DaHJpc3R5LURpbGxhcmQtQ29sbGVjdGlvbi1ieS1Mb3J0cy1jb250ZW1wb3Jhcnkta2l0Y2hlbi1hdGxhbnRh/t=77

I dont want tthe cabinets to be too symetrical if that makes sense. I just dotn think the wall is balanced and It looks too dense. Maybe an open shelf for a display item? I want to stay away from open shelves where possible. Too dirty for us to keep up. Those are two 27" SZ all freezer/fridge columns - the software is not showing the swings correctly. They wodul swing to the left and right as you woudl expect, not the way they are shown.

But you can see what my cabinet guy came up with. It is a very modern house. The island is 42" away from this cabinet wall. The counters are 26" deep. Hopefully I posted the pictures correctly.

Thanks!

Comments (7)

• scole115
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is the floor plan for the entire kitchen if it helps!

• romy718
    10 years ago

It could be me, but I'm not getting a photo when attempting to copy & paste your houzz link.

• Cindy103d
    10 years ago

The Houzz pictures has counter space on either side of the fridge/freezer. It's hard to tell in your drawing, but it doesn't look like you have that. I'd want that counter for a landing zone for the fridge/freezer, but also for the pantry cabinets. The island is fairly close, but you're going to have a lot of storage in that wall, so the landing zone will be critical.

Having counters will also break up the "dense" look to the drawing.

While I'm certainly not a kitchen guru, I'm not a fan of all the different lines with no sense of symmetry. Too much going on in a relatively small space in my opinion. If you had counter tops, they would align vertically in the middle. You could then stagger the door lines in the bases and tops to give them the asymmetrical look you want without it being overwhelmingly so.

• mlweaving_Marji
    10 years ago

If you look at the [other kitchen photo[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/christy-dillard-collection-by-lorts-contemporary-kitchen-atlanta-phvw-vp~191845) for the inspiration pic you'll see the mother of pearl topped islands. One of those undoubtedly is to act as landing areas for the refrig. Although it's a decorator showhouse so not necessarily set up best for function.

The refrigerator wall is really pretty, looks as if it's a separate piece of furniture, not built in cabinetry.
    You don't say anything about your family and how you'll be using this kitchen. If you have kids or plan to really cook a lot I'm thinking you really need counter immediately adjacent to the refrig.
    If it's just you or you and a spouse you may be willing to sacrifice some function for form. In the elevation drawing it looks as if both doors left hinge. If the stove wall has counter, it's only a step to unload to landing area.
    I'm afraid that if you compromise to put counter space immediately adjacent to the refrig you totally lose the cabinet look of your inspiration pic. So it really comes down to how much inconvenience you're willing to put up with.

Here is a link that might be useful: [originalLink[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/christy-dillard-collection-by-lorts-contemporary-kitchen-atlanta-phvw-vp~191845)

• GreenDesigns
    10 years ago

I'm not loving the actual layout at all. Never mind the fridge wall. It's simply not very functional give the amount of space in the whole kitchen. It confines your working counter space to about 15" on the other side of the DW.

You really need to revisit the layout as a whole, not just the fridge freezer. Those are small issues compared to the whole.

• ControlfreakECS
    10 years ago

Personally, I never take things out of the fridge and look for adjacent counter, I turn around and put things on the counter behind me. So, to me, that is not an issue. My only concern is that a 42" aisle is pretty tight in front of a fridge. I have 46" and am very happy with it. Not sure I would want much less.

I think the cabinet maker's drawing looks even more heavy because we are seeing all the internal pull out shelving and that it won't look as bad when we see the solid slab doors. However, my eye keeps going to the cabinet on the right as if something there is off, and I can't quite figure out what it is.

Another thing I just noticed. The perspective drawing seems to place the fridge/freezer farther away from the corner than the original layout drawing. The farther from the sink and the range you place the fridge, the more of an issue you will have with a barrier island getting in the way. Just something else to consider.

• annkh_nd
    10 years ago

Am I reading the drawing correctly - there are no upper cabinets on the range wall? Or windows? I'm only seeing one little window on the top wall.