Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rmlanza

Tell me about your toaster ovens!

rmlanza
15 years ago

Hey gang. DH wants a toaster oven and I'm trying to figure out what to buy. I just don't even know where to begin. I have convection on my oven, is it neccessary on a toaster oven? What kinds of things do you cook in a toaster oven? My Mom had one, long long long ago but in the 16 years we've been married we've never had one. I guess he wants it for sandwiches and whatnot. If I get a toaster oven, does it replace my toaster or does it just take too long for a frozen waffle or toast for breakfast? We're always rush rush in the mornings trying to get the 3 kids off to school and DH out the door to work.

I realize there is an appliance forum but it seems like they always discuss the big stuff, not little countertop appliances. And you guys are all so knowledgeable about this kind of thing. I guess I'd be willing to spend up to $150 or so.

TIA!

Robin

Comments (38)

• charlikin
    15 years ago

I love toaster ovens! I make toast, of course, but my favorite is grilled cheese sandwiches - without any butter! Just lightly toast the bread, then add a couple of slices of cheese for the end of the toasting cycle - take it out before the cheese melts all over the inside of the oven. Yum!!!

My (slight) pet peeve with toaster ovens is that the doors tend to creeeeak! when you open them. At least the cheap ones do. I found a KitchenAid that has an absolutely smooth opening door - it's pretty retro cool looking too! Unfortunately, the reviews on it haven't been so great, so I'll still be looking... (assuming I ever have a finished kitchen)

Wouldn't live without a toaster oven, though. :-)

• gardenburgher
    15 years ago

Hi Robin,
    We have a Cuisinart toaster oven. I use it pretty much every day, sometimes for every meal. DH works long hours so I'm usually only cooking for me and my 4 year old son.

I use it for waffles, toast, toasted cheese sandwiches, rolls, french fries, baked fish, baked chicken, mini pizzas . . . anything small.

I only use my oven for big meals (like maybe a roast), or for baking cakes and cookies.

HTH!

• rhome410
    15 years ago

We have no toaster, only a toaster oven because it can toast, warm up, and crisp so many things. Ours is also a mini convection oven, but we never, or rarely, use it that way. Ours is a KRUPS and we're very happy with it.

• momj47
    15 years ago

I got one when the kitchen remodel was done and realized, since it's mostly just me, I don't need to fire up the "big oven" for little jobs. I have the Cuisinart convection toaster broiler and I'm very pleased with it. It does all I need it to do, and does it quickly and well.

I was a bit reluctant, since the last toaster oven I had, in the early 70's, was pretty awful, but you can get good ones now.

• rmlanza
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks guys, the Cuisinart is one I was looking at but I'll check out the Krups, too. I'd love to be able to get rid of (or at least store) my regular toaster if I get this thing. Otherwise the toaster oven will have to be left on the counter in the garage, I WON'T be giving up any more counter space!

Any other reccomendations???

• elvisandcallie
    15 years ago

We have a Delonghi convection toaster oven at home. Had it for about 5 years now. Use it for garlic toast, baked potatoes, etc. Don't use the convection and don't use it for regular toast, but still use it every day. At the time it was about 200.00 and my husband couldn't believe I'd spend that much. It's lasted longer than any of my other counter top appliances. The only thing I don't like is that the door isn't removable for cleaning.

At work we have a Hamilton Beach Toastation. Only had it for a couple of years and it only gets used maybe 3-4 times a work, but seems to be holding up.

Here is a link that might be useful: Toastation

• friedajune
    15 years ago

Krups makes the best ones IMHO. Krups has 3 different models, but all 3 have 1600 watts of power. The least expensive one is the Krups FBC2 at $160 on Amazon.

• cdnmuminpa
    15 years ago

I bought the Cuisinart Toaster Oven Broiler with convection back in April when we started our kitchen renovation. It's been a life saver. I've used it to bake muffins, cupcakes, brownies, chicken, baked potatoes, pizza, etc. It also does a great job on multiple bagels and slices of toast.

Our cabinet installation has begun but I'm not sure when my regular oven will be installed. I was initially hesitant to spend so much on a "toaster" oven but it has definitely been worth the money. I'll probably continue to use the oven function instead of heating up the big one when I'm cooking just for me or making side dishes.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    15 years ago

I have a Cuisinart with convection and a electronic temp control. It will crisp up a baguette in no time. It's also perfect for broiling lamb chops. It was around $100-$150 I forget.
    Casey

• Buehl
    15 years ago

I bought the Cuisinart TOB-195 Convection Toaster Oven back in January while our kitchen was out of commission...and it was a lifesaver considering we didn't get our kitchen back until June/July!

It not only does a good job with toast, it also works great for potatoes, pizzas (yes, a full-size frozen pizza fits), and just about anything you can put in an oven that's small enough to fit in the TO.

It is a little more than you're planning to pay ($179 on Amazon).

Here is a link that might be useful: Cuisinart TOB-195 Convection Toaster Oven, Stainless Steel

• caryscott
    15 years ago

It's getting harder to find one that isn't convection (it mostly gets used to make toast, cook frozen meat\dinners or the occasional open face sandwich and we already have a convection oven). I have been eyeing the Hamilton Beach model that actually has slots in the top like a toaster in addition to a small oven because the inexpensive toaster ovens we have had are great for cooking and broiling but they make rather unexceptional toast (they are complete crap with a frozen waffle). Only ever had cheapies and they have lasted far longer than we really wanted. Haven't done a lick of research except Consumer Reports where it was #5 - and very good at toast (better than the top 2) and easy to use but not so good at the rest (not convection but I'm sure it cooks a frozen pizza fine). CR didn't have a best buy but they chose the Cuisinart TOB and Sanyo Digital Convection as the best models. They didn't test the Krups.

I say go one or the other who needs another appliance but I'm not packing 3 kids off to school in the morning. It comes in a 4 slot version.

Here is a link that might be useful: Toastation

• pfmastin
    15 years ago

Another vote for the Cuisinart convection toaster oven. The only drawback is that there's no interior light...that would have been a good feature.

• ljsandler
    15 years ago

Love my Cuisinart convection toaster oven. I only wish it's outer dimensions were smaller.

• caryscott
    15 years ago

My new Cuisinart Cup-o-matic single serve coffeemaker just arrived - love Cuisinart - but if it's a DH toy will he be wowed with the convection? Correction: Consumers actually gives the TOB a very good for toasting same as the Toastation (which again didn't impress as an oven - though the 2 slot is very compact).

• ccoombs1
    15 years ago

Great thread! right now I can't bare the idea of setting any sort of appliance on my lovely granite, but I know that I do want a toaster oven at some point. That Cuisinart looks like a really nice one!

• mamadadapaige
    15 years ago

I put my very ugly (but awesomely functional) toaster oven in an appliance garage. It is by Euro Pro. Cheap, doesn't take up a lot of space, works great.

• suburbanhousemom
    15 years ago

We have an Oster (think that's it - I'm away from the house) convection toaster oven. It's been my second oven, and now is sharing the cooking duties during our kitchen remodeling with a crockpot and the lovely 1950's Sunbeam electric skillet that I inherited from my parents.

We do use the convection, no choice in bake mode with this oven, and adjust the temperature 25 degrees downward. I like it because it helps even out the hot/cool spots better than our previous toaster, which didn't have convection. It cooks everything the big oven does, only in smaller quantities. The one thing not to like is that it browns very quickly. My remedy is to have a sheet of aluminum foil handy to drop loose on top of the food, leaving room for air to circulate around the edges of the cover. Other than that, I absolutely adore the thing.

• rmlanza
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks again everyone. The Cuisinart is probably the one I'll go with and with a 20% off coupon at BB&B, comes in under my $150 goal. Although I wouldn't mind paying up to $200 if it's that good. The only thing that concerns me is the size of this thing!!! The specs say that's it's 20" deep...is that right??? Are they all that big? It will take up almost the entire countertop to the left of my stove (where my regular toaster is now). With the toaster I can set things (and unfortunately, often do) in front of the toaster. With the toaster oven I can't really do that. Also, when I use my toaster I pull it out so it's not heating up the underside of the upper cabinet, will I need to do that with a toaster oven?

Honestly, I don't know how much DH will use the convection, he'd probably be just as happy with a $40 cheapy thing. But it's his birthday on Tuesday and this is my excuse to go and buy a good one, LOL! He's still getting his Live Scribe pen (he calls it Fly Pen for grown ups) and fancy shmancy car floor mats so he can't complain if I get him something that I (secretly) want, can he? Actually our anniversary is this Friday so I could also just tell him it's an anniversary gift for both of us, LOL!

• simoneb
    15 years ago

I loooove love love my DeLonghi toaster oven. It's my favorite appliance. I make everything in there. Toast, bagels, frozen waffles -- of course. But also, baked fish in my mini-pyrex, heating frozen chicken nuggets (actually the vegetarian morningstar farms ones are great), reheating pizza, my artichoke dip, baked potatoes, roasted tomatoes, roasted garlic, etc. etc. It heats up much quicker than the big oven and is so easy!!! My one suggestion is make sure you get one with the crumb pull-out tray -- otherwise getting the crumbs off the bottom is a nightmare!

• trixieinthegarden
    15 years ago

We've got the Black and Decker Infrawave and I have to say, it makes the most perfect toast. It's also loads of fun to watch the toast magically brown before your eyes. We use it for reheating anything that needs to be crispy, and it's great for smaller portions of things like fish sticks, chicken nuggets etc.

• Jim Peschke
    15 years ago

Well let me throw something different into this toaster oven lovefest...lol... Pre-remodel I loved my toaster oven, at least I loved using it, but I didn't love having it sit on the counter. My idea, which I can now cheerfully report worked perfectly, was to use the electric broiler in my range for all of my toaster oven duties. It has worked like a charm. It takes NO counter space. It has virtually instant heat up time (no pre-heating necessary). It's SUPER fast--it's more powerful than any toaster oven on the market after all. I can even use it to keep the food warm if I like. I do still keep a regular toaster on the counter for bread.

- Jim

• bluekitobsessed
    15 years ago

I have the same Cuisinart as gardenburgher's. I paid about $100 for it, and I'm very happy. It's not a convection oven. My Thermador range is a 36" oven, and sometimes it seems silly to use the range for heating up chicken nuggets and French fries.

Note to energy efficiency/environmental types: it's, obviously, far more energy efficient to use a toaster oven than to heat up a 36" range/oven for the small things.

• raehelen
    15 years ago

I have an Oster toaster oven. I use the convection all the time when baking or cooking. I assume it makes things cook faster and more evenly. Mine even has a dehydrator, though I've never used that feature.

Along with our MW, probably the most used appliance in the house. Have to admit, it doesn't make the best toast in the world, though I'm used to it now, and it does seem to take a long time to make toast. But, as we're Bagel lovers, can't beat it for toasting bagels nicely, and for melting cheese on top.

Yes, it takes up the whole counter space, you need the room in front for door to open- so you do have to take that into consideration. I have a 36" section of counter beside the stove just for the toaster oven. That's also where I keep my container of utensils.

• zelmar
    15 years ago

Our toaster oven gets used all the time for toast, bagels, warming up pizza slices, toasting nuts for recipes, making nachos, heating up small portions of food (when a mw won't provide the desired crispiness.)

We used to have the Panasonic infrared toaster oven which I really loved--no preheating was necessary for baking and it cooked/toasted well. Unfortunately, after it died last Dec I found they were no longer made. I ended up with a cheap Black and Decker and am very satisfied with it--almost as good as any other toaster oven I've tried. I'm glad to see trixieinthegarden loves the infrared version. Maybe I'll give my t.o. to my daughter and get the infrared one since I liked the Panansonic so much.

• sadie709
    15 years ago

I bought a toaster convection oven at about $100 for the office and cannot figure out how to use it. (it has a lot of buttons and options and who has time to read the 25 page instruction booklet. so when i bought one for home i bought the cheap $25 one with a dial. light to dark! It works great.

• mildredpots
    15 years ago

I've had a Cuisinart for several years. I love it, and bought it specifically because it was big enough to hold a pie/tart pan, or squareor oval baking dish. At the holidays, I use it as an extra oven for side dishes (as long as they aren't too tall!) Everyday it is used for toast, waffles, or simple cooking. Faster than the big oven for small things, and doesn't heat up the kitchen in the summer. My only complaint is it doesn't have a timer like my last one. Had a Krups a number of years ago, and at that time found it was a good mini oven and a horrible toaster.

• User
    15 years ago

Bought a Cuisinart 4 years ago and moved across country 6 mos later. It's a bit of a space hog, so unfortunately, it's been in a box in the basement ever since. I don't think we've used it more than a half dozen times. :c(

• nanj
    15 years ago

To me the critical performance for a toaster oven is the ability to toast evenly so that I don't have to move the food around. To accomplish this, a larger-sized oven (6 slices they're called) needs three heating elements on top and bottom. The only oven I was able to find with three elements was a Krups.

• caryscott
    15 years ago

I checked the Cuisinart on the way home and it is a bruiser. Too big for my purposes.

• rmlanza
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hmmm, I'll go check them out tommorrow. I know it won't fit in my appliance garage, which is already occupied by the stupid Food Saver that seldom gets used. But I can't really move the Food Saver because then it would NEVER get used and it was a gift from DH's parents. I read on the LNT website that the Cuisinart buehl has is 20" deep but on Amazon it lists it as 17" or so. I'll have to bring my handy dandy measuring tape to the store with me tommorrow. Although now I'm starting to wonder if I should just go for a much smaller/cheaper model and see if we actually USE the darn thing. We can always replace it down the road if it turns out we really love the thing. But then will I get the full effect of how helpful it can be for things like side dishes (we don't have double ovens) or reheating something that needs to be crispy or whatever? Oh what to do what to do?

Thanks for all your advice everyone. nanj, the info about the number of heating elements is interesting as I want this thing to replace my toaster. And caryscott, thanks for the "bruiser" report. I'm thinking I'll go ahead and get it, use it for a week (long enough to get a feel for how well it works but it should still easy enough to clean out if I want to return it) and see how I like it. Is it okay to "test drive" an appliance???

• zelmar
    15 years ago

I wanted a small oven so that it would heat up faster and work as quickly as possible (with the heating elements fairly close to the toast.) It was tempting to go with a larger one so that it could be more versatile but I knew that for everyday stuff the speed was the most important. The other plus is that the footprint is smaller.

• bbstx
    15 years ago

Below is a link to the Cuisinart at Costco for $100. I bought this one 2 years ago for my mom for Christmas. She loves it. As my aunt says, you couldn't run fast enough to give me one. I hate stuff on my countertop! But Mom thinks it is great...both stuff on her countertop and the Cuisinart oven.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cuisinart Toaster Oven at Costco

• susanlynn2012
    15 years ago

I have the Oster Convection Oven and it is nice but it is not the best despite the good reviews and the pretty stainless steel design. I would go with the Cuisinart that has been getting good reviews from members.

• karencon
    15 years ago

Hey Robin, I have an Oster......went crazy trying to find one thats not too big. It toasts okay esp if you toast bagels, but completely adequate for toast. This is where I do my small baking jobs, like meatloaf, biscuits etc, I like to buy these cheap....I can just upgrade or change more often. Good to see that TKO still reigns.
    Karen

• rmlanza
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hey Karen sister! Long time no see.

Well I did it, I went ahead and got the Cuisinart TOB-195. I'm dying to try it out but seeing as it's a gift for DH...and his birthday is not till TUESDAY...guess I can't open it up. Anniversary is tommorrow though, so maybe I'll surprise him with it then.

Got it at BB&B and with a 20% off coupon it came to $144, or something like that, before tax. Not too bad. Linens N Things is now doing their close out sales but they only offered it at 10% off and won't take any coupons anymore. Plus it can't be returned. The lady at BB&B said I could absolutely try it out and if I don't like it there is a no hassle return policy. So I plan on doing a lot of test baking over the next couple of weeks! The kids will be happy.

Thanks again for everyone's comments, suggestions and reccomendations! If y'all (sheesh that makes me sound like a southern girl) have any great toaster oven recipes, feel free to send them my way! ;o)

Robin

• rmlanza
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Update:

Today is my anniversary so I gave DH the toaster oven. He was surprised and happy. But, as I knew he would, he said, "getting a toaster oven for a gift is kind of like getting a vacuum cleaner for Christmas". He hates giving and getting appliances as gifts (lucky me!). So, before he got home, I came up with a list entitled "Why toaster ovens are sexy", which I read to him in the garage so the kids wouldn't hear (and with my hair in a sloppy ponytail and wearing one of his huge sweatshirts over workout pants...perhaps I should have saved that list for later). I'm sure you all can think of a few of those reasons...think heating things up on the countertop...LOL! Anyway, he looked at it in a whole different light after that.

And another thing, he actually stopped by Linens N Things YESTERDAY to see if they had it marked down yet! And although he had not discussed exactly which one he wanted, this is the one he was looking at. How's that for knowing my man?!

Now I'm off to make toast.
    Robin

• pfmastin
    15 years ago

This is the TOB-195 model that I have. I think I paid $179 for it at Lowe's. You were asking about dimensions....it's about 17" wide and 16" deep.

{{!gwi}}

• rmlanza
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thanks pfmastin. That's the same one I bought and it's not as big as the dimensions I had read, thank goodness. Used a 20% off coupon at BB&B.