Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
2littlefishies

Number/Size of Cup Pulls on my Island drawers?

2LittleFishies
11 years ago

Here is the work side of my island. The two drawer stacks are each 30". I was thinking INSTEAD of doing 2 cup pulls on each drawer as shown, doing a 6" or 8" cup pull in the center of the drawers. I thought the 12 pulls lined up might be overkill and that doing one pull may work better. What do you think?

Comments (27)

• localeater
    11 years ago

My old cabinets were shaker inset and the 30" cabinet base had one 4 inch cup pull per drawer. It looked natural and worked fine.
    Imagine yourself opening the drawer, will you use both hands/ two pulls, or one hand/one pull. I don't usually have two hands free to open a drawer so I would prefer a centered pull.

• lalithar
    11 years ago

Fishies --> Would you want a bar pull on the top drawer to hang a towel from? I tried the double pull vs. single centered pull a couple of weeks back. It does depend on the drawer hardware and if you are doing softclose. If you ae, all it needs is a nudge to open and a push to get closed. I think 2 cup pulls look pretty.. too wide cup pulls look a bit too stretched IMHO

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

lalitha-- Good thought on the bar pull for towel. Even if not there maybe someone else. What do people usually use for that? How long would it have to be?

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

I'm still looking for a bar pull to use as a towel bar for the end of my peninsula. I guess I'm picky. I want one that has enough projection so that stuffing a towel in is easy and so that a wet towel doesn't hang so close to the cabinetry. I was planning on using one of my RH Aubry pulls, but it doesn't seem to have enough projection. I've been looking online at bathroom towel bars. They, however, seem to have too much projection for my space. I'm like goldlilocks looking for one that's not too large, not too small, but juuuuuuuust right. ;)

• slush1422
    11 years ago

I struggled with that as well. We ended up doing 2 pulls on our 30 drawers and a single pull on the 24's.

From Beveled Arabesque Backsplash install
    From STILL not finished kitchen

Our island only had 24 drawers so we used singles as well:

From STILL not finished kitchen

• lolauren
    11 years ago

I went with just one per drawer. I don't like the look of too many, and I definitely didn't like the thought of paying twice as much.

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

slush- Thanks for the photos : ) I love your floors!

I definitely like the look of 2 pulls on the 30" drawers (which is something I already knew based on looking at finished kitchens). : )

My post was due to the fact that in the island there are TWO 30" stacks adjacent to each other that perhaps 4 columns of pulls might look like too many in that spot. That's why I was asking if maybe using a 6 or 8" cup pull in the centers might be preferable?

Thanks so much for all of your thoughts!

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

If I do one cup pull for the 30" stack do you think I should do a 6" instead of 4"?

• lisa_wi
    11 years ago

I've got my 18" trash with one, then 27" and 30" drawers with two. I like the way it looks and I don't think it's too much, functionally I might prefer a single on each. These are about 4" wide I think.

• dilly_ny
    11 years ago

My largest drawer base is 27" and I have one pull on each large drawer.

• dilly_ny
    11 years ago

Single pull on island (24" drawer base)

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Dilly! Do u know the size of the pulls?

• dilly_ny
    11 years ago

My pulls are 4.5"L X 1.5"h

• momo7
    11 years ago

I just went through this. Although I quite like the look of two cup pulls per drawer, I have 3 stacks of 30" drawers next to each other so I thought it might be a bit much. Personally, I don't really like the look of long cup pulls.

This drawer is 30" and my cup pull is 3-15/32". There are a few decisions I've made where I wonder if I should have done something else, but this isn't one of them :)

Good luck. Your kitchen is going to be beautiful.

• blfenton
    11 years ago

My drawers are 30" and I have one 7" pull on each. They work really well. I like the more simple look and as others have mentioned I usually only have one hand free when opening the drawers and so only wanted one handle.

OT Breezy- when looking at towel bars have you looked at appliance handles rather than towel bars? Lee Valley carries some and others probably do as well. They should have more clearance than normal pulls and should suit a kitchen better than bathroom towel bars. Just a thought.

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks momo and blfenton!

I decided to try the 6" ones- using one per drawer- and I'll see how that looks
    : )

Thanks everyone!

OH, regarding towel bar... Shaub has a 12" pull with a 2" projection. Do you think that would work? Or, would an appliance pull be better?

Here is a link that might be useful: Schaub 12

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

OT to Blfenton--Yes, I have looked at appliance pulls online. The simply lined ones that appeal to me are the wrong finish; still don't seem like they have enough clearance; and/or are outrageously priced. I'm not willing to do a brushed finish because 1. it doesn't match my polished nickel hardware 2. I plain don't like brushed finishes. I may just have to suck up the price at some point after I've looked a bit more to feel like I've truly exhausted all other possibilities.

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Katieob used the Schaub pulls on this drawer... Is the Refrigerator the same thing but in 12" or do you think it's actually an appliance pull. (I'm thinking she used cabinet pulls.) I don't see anything like that on the Schaub site under appliance hardware .

• pawa
    11 years ago

Hey fishies - You're progressing, I see!
    Well, I don't like long cup pulls either. The non-long are so much cuter, imo.

One per drawer bottom looks good, even though it seems to be less common. It's also cheaper. Really love momo7's cup pulls!

• CEFreeman
    11 years ago

So pretty, pretty PRETTY!

I think sometimes I'm lucky to have to move so slowly on my whole house. I've changed my mind so many times, and have been able to incorporate so many cool ideas from here.

One thing I have learned about myself, is that I use one hand for my drawers... usually. This means my 36" wide drawers are often going back in crooked. The Blums work, but my own handling of them causes them to be off a bit.

When I have the presence of mind to open them in the middle, they move in and out fine.

This, from one who has no pulls yet. I will be doing one, wider on each drawer.

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

You are correct about the Schaub pulls. Schaub doesn't make an appliance pull in their traditional line for that style.

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Do you think they are deep enough?

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

By "deep enough" do you mean projection? If so, enough projection for what?

Schaub lists the projection at 1 13/16". My pulls have a 1 3/16" projection with a handle that seems average thickness. That's probably my minimum for cab pull see of use. My only paneled appliance is my warming drawer with my 8" pull. I'm not sure I'd be happy with a pull of my dimensions on an appliance like a DW or fridge that I open many times a day. 1 13/16" sounds much better.

Here is a link that might be useful: Schaub specs

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sorry breezy- I meant if it were used for a towel.

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

Oh, got it! I think that projection would be deep enough for a towel. I wish that pull worked in my kitchen. Are you thinking about it for yours?

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes I'm using a few of those mixed with the RH Gilmore cup pulls.

I wonder if I put it on my dw cab if that would work?

Sponsored
Longhouse Architects
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Prominent Architecture Firm Creating Cohesive Designs