Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sjhockeyfan325

$7.0 million seam

sjhockeyfan325
9 years ago

This is the seam in the marble in an island in a kitchen I saw yesterday in San Francisco - in a house that is for sale at over $7 million. All the interior work is new. You all wouldn't be pleased :-)

Comments (12)

• Jillius
    9 years ago

Our white marble did this too! You see how there is a lighter line running down the middle of the seam? That is the color they mixed the epoxy to be, and it matches very well, but because of something weird our specific stone, it discolored wherever the epoxy is touching it (almost the way unsealed stone looks when it gets wet?), creating two darker lines running down the borders of each seam. Makes the seam look very wide and darker and bad.

Our guys redid the seam 3 times and couldn't make it stop doing that, and the seam guy was really upset that he couldn't fix it -- more than I was.

• ajc71
    9 years ago

I would bet that the new HO could care less about that seam, will probably never notice

OR

They are going to rip it all out and start again anyhow

• kevdp4
    9 years ago

It's a common problem with white marbles if the wrong procedure and method is used. White marbles cannot be seamed the same way as most other stones.

• Jillius
    9 years ago

How are white marbles supposed to be seamed?

• Vertise
    9 years ago

Why would the new HO not even notice it? Looks like a crud collector to me. I would be placing food around it not on the crack, with special attention when cleaning.

Besides, with that kind of money, their taste and exposure to fine workmanship could very well be quite refined.

• kevdp4
    9 years ago

At Jillius..
    White marbles require a special adhesive that will not bleed into the stone, which is what causes the darker lines on either side of the adhesive, or at the very least a sealer should be applied on the cut ends of the stone that make up the seam to prevent the bleed that causes the dark lines.
    It's hard to say what the problem in the above pic was caused by because there is no scale to show the thickness of the seam.
    A common practice in seaming is to over fill the seam with adhesive and scraping it down with a razor blade just before the adhesive completely cures to create a fully filled and flush seam, with white marble the razor blade will leave dark metal marks making the seam splotchy and dark.
    Fabricators have to learn how to work with white stones to prevent problems.

• hsw_sc
    9 years ago

I think my cousin saw this house within the last couple of days. She emailed us about it today.

• sjhockeyfan325
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Haw, I'd be curious to know what she thought. We saw it when it was on the market before it was purchased and rehabbed, so went to see the fixer-upper once it was fixed. Some things were done nicely, but not all (in my GW-induced hypercritical mind).

• Texas_Gem
    9 years ago

Am I the only one waiting for Trebs comment on this post? He is always witty and generally spot on, I'm curious what he thinks of this seam.

I personally wouldn't be happy with it, but if I were to encounter a seam like this in my price range, it wouldn't prohibit me from buying the house. Still....that's a pretty crappy seam!

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

I'd be willing to bet that a straightedge placed over that seam will rock because the sides are not level or even on plane to each other. That's causing the bottom of the seam to touch before the top, so the seam can never be tight on the top.

I wonder if they charged extra for the two black dots of contamination?

• sjhockeyfan325
    Original Author
    9 years ago

To add to the misery, the island is at least 20' long, so there are multiple like seams (and no breakin the island so you have to walk around it to get out!)

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Barrier Island and San Andreas Fault. Wow!