Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
rolling dough

Posted by sixtyohno (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 4, 12 at 15:44

This might sound silly, but I am perplexed. I have serpentine marble counters which I clean with very hot water. Meat, fish, chicken etc never touch the counters. I always use washable mats for those things. Now I want to roll dough on the marble. Are they clean enough? If I use a cleaner, will it get into the dough? Am I worrying for no reason? thanks for your help. Laura

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: rolling dough

I use a mixture of distilled water with a few drops of liquid dish detergent to clean my marble. Then I knead and roll dough.

o

Laura,

Is your serpentine marble very porous?

If so, then IDK. But if not, I think you'll be fine. People are getting too obsessed with cleanliness, IMHO.

Remember, the dough will be baked. i.e., undergo thermal treatment, for at least 12 minutes, usually.

o

Absolutely roll on it--I'd wipe with a water-dampened cloth to get off any residual cleaners, but that's it. They are plenty clean.

But...serpentine is a bit different from most marbles--I know the stuff I almost got would soak up grease (one reason it was disqualified). So, no worries for health reasons, but test your stone first to be sure you won't get a pie crust shaped grease spot! (Or so you can figure out a way to remove it, if needed.)

o

"roll on me", says the marble meekly, "please, it smells so good"

o

thanks, The dough for a pizza is rising and soon I can roll it out. What a pleasure after broken laminate counters. I used to roll dough on a silpat. I am blown away by how easy it is to clean up the kitchen. There are places for everything and all the surfaces wipe up real easy. I am incredibly lucky.

o

Sounds yummy! I, too, amazed sometimes at how much easier is it to work in my new kitchen compared to my old. There's a difference between learning to make do with a bad layout and enjoying a truly functional space. That's why some of the layout threads get heated sometimes. We that have functional kitchens want to see everyone with an easy-to-cook-in one.

My favorite dough to roll on my marble is my grandma's cinnamon rolls, now a family tradition.

Grandma's famous cinnamon rolls

o

Doesn't count if there's no recipe, and that goes for pizza dough as well as cinnamon rolls!

o

Pan Pizza from Cooks Illustrated
Dough
4 1/2 C flour
1 1/2 T quick raising yeast
1 T sugar
2 t salt
1/4 C olive oil
1 3/4 C warm water
Put first 4 in food processor and pulse
Slowly add the oil and water with the machine on till
dough forms a smooth ball.
Put the dough in an oiled bowl and cover for 1 1/2 -2 hrs

Turn the Dough out on a floured board, counter etc.
Roll into a rectangle that fits on a 16x12 baking sheet with a lip
Sprinkle with Parmesan and bake at 400 till the parm starts to brown. Spread with marinara sauce or any sauce you prefer. Back in the oven to let out moisture.
Then I left the recipe.
I dotted with ricotta, added mozzarella, cheddar and more parm
Bake, cool, eat
It was excellent and DH is going to clean up because he loves wiping the counters.

o

Thanks, Ohno. We've been working on finding the perfect crust here lately and will give this one a try. :)

o

Sounds yummy!

Are you using the dough blade or just the regular blade in the food processor?

Breezy,

Please rise to the occasion and share the recipe. :-)

o

Those cinnamon rolls look wonderful!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here