Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sixtyohno

rolling dough

sixtyohno
11 years ago

This might sound silly, but I am perplexed. I have serpentine marble counters which I clean with very hot water. Meat, fish, chicken etc never touch the counters. I always use washable mats for those things. Now I want to roll dough on the marble. Are they clean enough? If I use a cleaner, will it get into the dough? Am I worrying for no reason? thanks for your help. Laura

Comments (11)

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

I use a mixture of distilled water with a few drops of liquid dish detergent to clean my marble. Then I knead and roll dough.

• eleena
    11 years ago

Laura,

Is your serpentine marble very porous?

If so, then IDK. But if not, I think you'll be fine. People are getting too obsessed with cleanliness, IMHO.

Remember, the dough will be baked. i.e., undergo thermal treatment, for at least 12 minutes, usually.

• Fori
    11 years ago

Absolutely roll on it--I'd wipe with a water-dampened cloth to get off any residual cleaners, but that's it. They are plenty clean.

But...serpentine is a bit different from most marbles--I know the stuff I almost got would soak up grease (one reason it was disqualified). So, no worries for health reasons, but test your stone first to be sure you won't get a pie crust shaped grease spot! (Or so you can figure out a way to remove it, if needed.)

• localeater
    11 years ago

"roll on me", says the marble meekly, "please, it smells so good"

• sixtyohno
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thanks, The dough for a pizza is rising and soon I can roll it out. What a pleasure after broken laminate counters. I used to roll dough on a silpat. I am blown away by how easy it is to clean up the kitchen. There are places for everything and all the surfaces wipe up real easy. I am incredibly lucky.

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

Sounds yummy! I, too, amazed sometimes at how much easier is it to work in my new kitchen compared to my old. There's a difference between learning to make do with a bad layout and enjoying a truly functional space. That's why some of the layout threads get heated sometimes. We that have functional kitchens want to see everyone with an easy-to-cook-in one.

My favorite dough to roll on my marble is my grandma's cinnamon rolls, now a family tradition.

• Fori
    11 years ago

Doesn't count if there's no recipe, and that goes for pizza dough as well as cinnamon rolls!

• sixtyohno
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Pan Pizza from Cooks Illustrated
    Dough
    4 1/2 C flour
    1 1/2 T quick raising yeast
    1 T sugar
    2 t salt
    1/4 C olive oil
    1 3/4 C warm water
    Put first 4 in food processor and pulse
    Slowly add the oil and water with the machine on till
    dough forms a smooth ball.
    Put the dough in an oiled bowl and cover for 1 1/2 -2 hrs

Turn the Dough out on a floured board, counter etc.
    Roll into a rectangle that fits on a 16x12 baking sheet with a lip
    Sprinkle with Parmesan and bake at 400 till the parm starts to brown. Spread with marinara sauce or any sauce you prefer. Back in the oven to let out moisture.
    Then I left the recipe.
    I dotted with ricotta, added mozzarella, cheddar and more parm
    Bake, cool, eat
    It was excellent and DH is going to clean up because he loves wiping the counters.

• Fori
    11 years ago

Thanks, Ohno. We've been working on finding the perfect crust here lately and will give this one a try. :)

• eleena
    11 years ago

Sounds yummy!

Are you using the dough blade or just the regular blade in the food processor?

Breezy,

Please rise to the occasion and share the recipe. :-)

• lalithar
    11 years ago

Those cinnamon rolls look wonderful!