Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Desperately need help on backsplash

Posted by SanAntonioGal (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 9, 12 at 15:40

I have been following your forum for a couple of days and decided to join as I desperately need help.
Finally selected granite, Colonial Cream. My cabinets are oak and I also have oak flooring. I 1st thought I would keep old backsplash, ceramic tile on the diagonal with a center row of tanish tile on cream background but decided to update look. I picked up travertine samples and am just not sure. Thought about diagonal 2X2 or row of 2X6, chair rail and 2X4 subways on up...is that too busy? This is in an off white shade.

Another dilema!!!! What is used to finish off the end of the backsplash (whereas in ceramic you would use bullnose)...the travertine seems to rough not to have a trim piece. Has anyone had problems with travertine on their backsplash?

Time is running out and I can't decide.

Thanks
Barbara

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Desperately need help on backsplash

Hi SanAntonioGal,

I think allof your ideas would work, so I'll just offer my personal experience. I really liked the look of one size/shape of tile, then a little chair rail and something different for the second half of the b-splash, but my designer convinced me to keep it simple.

I ended up going with a simple arched herringbone in all one neutral color, and I'm glad I did. I find that the more simple b-splash is a good background, and I can add whatever decorative accessories (cookbooks, fruit bowl, coffee, sugar, flour, dry goods canisters) I'd like, changing them whenever I like, without getting bored or regretting choosing something more busy for a design element as permanent as a b-splash.

As for the edges of the travertine, I have a lot of travertine in my showers, tubs and bathroom vanities. Most of my ends and edges are finished with a simple travertine trim piece that matches the travertine tiles. A few edges that don't have the trim piece don't have bullnose, but it's also not rough cut--it's basically a polished edge, but straight, not rounded like bullnose.

Good luck!

o
RE: Desperately need help on backsplash

If at all possible, take tile samples to your slab and take a look. Your granite has cream, brown, and yellow in it. Travertine can often end up looking pink next to a gold stone (do a search for travertine on this site - you'll see what I mean). Consider anything else. I have a few examples below that might help.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here