Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Marmoleum - Who has it, who loves it, and would you do it again?

Posted by cluelessincolorado (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 1, 10 at 15:36

I am narrowing down flooring choices for my small kitchen and I am drawn to marmoleum. I have always had wood and loved it, but after standing on the existing vinyl floor for a few months I realize it is pretty forgiving on my lower back. Is there anything I should know about the product? Thanks for any advice and have a great weekend :) Oh yes, the kitchen leads to a mud/sun room that will have the same flooring and the addition of a big dog makes me think twice about wood.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Marmoleum - Who has it, who loves it, and would you do it aga

Me. Me. Yes!

It is only in my mudroom/laundry room/powder room area, but I am in love with the stuff and wish I could have used it more. (My open plan really called for wood in the kitchen.) I am not a barefoot person, but the stuff is just silky under foot.

This is Grenada next to my cherry:

Photobucket

o

We have the Marmoleum Click, which has cork backing, so quite forgiving for backs/legs/joints. We have 8 kids and 2 big dogs, and we don't baby the floor in the least. Our back door and kitchen door both open onto it, so it takes whatever is tracked in, since we are not a shoes-off house. After 2 1/2 yrs, I think the Marmoleum is pretty tough. Maybe not quite as easy to get perfectly clean looking as vinyl (specifically, at an angle smears and stuff can show, as there is no texture or fake shiny surface to hide them), but we have a mottled gray color, so it's forgiving.

o

Yay! Thanks for the responses, and thanks for posting the photo of the wood/Marmoleum border. We uncovered oak floors that hadn't seen the light of day since the 40's in the rest of the house, but the kitchen has a couple layers of vinyl and at least one linoleum. No wonder my back is in heaven... We are a shoes off house for the most part, but not in the mudroom and track in lots of yuck, especially in winter months. I think the dog is trying her best to cover the ugly pink and white vinyl with any substance possible - GOOD DOG!

o

I looked hard at Marmoleum but couldn't find the right color. The same day I saw another type...link below.
It has a lifetime warranty. It just was delivered last week, but won't be put down until early Nov. I had the same concerns as you. Pricing ended up about 6.50 sq ft but it's easy to put down so I'm saving on the install.

I have the Aspen Metallic in Zuni.

Here is a link that might be useful: Starloc floor

o

I love the look of that Aspen Metallic...cool looking stuff! I assume 'resilient' flooring means it's vinyl? I couldn't really find what it was made of.

For anyone not already aware: Beware that 'lifetime warranty' or any lengthy warranty only refers to manufacturers' defects and doesn't mean the floor will continue to look new that long...unfortunately. Longer warranty gives me some comfort, as it usually relates to some more substantial construction, but the claims aren't always as good as they sound.

The downside of the Marmoleum Click style was the limitation in colors, but the sheets have so many colors it'd be hard to choose. We installed the Click ourselves, over a thin pad, so all together, it was about $6/sq ft. The sheet Marmoleum needs to be installed by a knowledgeable, skilled, certified installer, and I don't know the price of the sheet goods or the installation. We are terminal DIYers, so always choose what we can do ourselves.

o

I have the Marmoleum click squares in Silver Birch and Volcanic Ash checkerboard. It was not bad to install ourselves and feels wonderful underfoot. We've had it a little over a year in our sunroom, and it takes a lot of hard use as the pathway to the backyard is via this room and the kids and dog are constantly running through with wet/muddy/snowy feet.

Cleans up well with just water or maybe some windex or vinegar. I have noticed a scratch or two, but only when I'm down low wiping up a spill or something, not too obvious. I agree with Rhome that the mottled colors hide a lot. All in all it's been very forgiving!

o

Forgiving, that's what I need! How does the click hold up to water spills and/or snow puddles? I just don't want to be a slave to a floor any more than necessary and I'm pretty sure that my children's lasting winter memory will be of me brandishing some sort of wipe the floor rag. The path to the backyard goes through the kitchen and then mudroom so it'll get heavy usage.

o

Have it, love it, would do it again (but for goodness sakes if you get sheet make SURE your installer won't need to reinstall it several times).

o

No problem with water spills or snow puddles. The click joint would be hard to penetrate, both because of complexity and the sealed material, and they're VERY tight. I wouldn't want to leave a spill on a seam for hours and hours, but you don't have to panic. I refuse to be a slave to floors, which is why we chose this. I blame the choice of the Brazilian Cherry for the rest of the main floor on DH. ;-) I won't be a slave to those either, but he wishes I'd be more of one. Floors are for walking on, and life happens...spills, muddy dog footprints, kids sneakers and boots, and scratches from furniture legs (not a problem on the Marmoeleum, though). They should take what is dished out!

o

We have Marmoleum Click in our mudroom and absolutely love it. I'd have preferred the sheet Marmoleum, but installation costs were very expensive in my area. My husband installed it himself, and it was a very quick and painless job. Okay...relatively painless. He got bursitis in one knee from installing this floor and our reclaimed white oak all in one month. So, fair warning to all 40+ DIYers out there. Our joints aren't as young as they used to be!

We did a checkerboard pattern with Barbados and Eternity. Those colors complement each other beautifully.

o

Pickle2- I think I should be scared of the floor that ate your husband, but I love it so much I just can't. Actually I love your entire kitchen and am probably responsible for most of the visits to your blog:) I painted the cabinets in my last kitchen almost the same color and loved them.
Rhome410- thanks for all your info, sounds like we are on the same page. I had been thinking about sheet, but didn't realize the installation costs were so high.
Fori, do you have sheet? Was installing it a problem?
Honeychurch, off topic, I think the paint job in your kitchen makes that sink wall cosy!
Thanks Wizardnm for the Starloc info, lots of nice colors!

o

Hi,
I just had Marmoleum sheet installed in both my kitchen and family room. Each room is about 16x18, and we paid about $4700 total for both floors.

Our family room has the sliding glass door to the backyard that is our three dogs' entrance and exit, and we have two dogs with continence problems so we wanted it bulletproof! We got the Shitake color because it looked good with the Craftsman Oak and caramel leather in the family room, with lighter swirls that matched the whitewashed oak in the new kitchen.

I have very bad knees and have to plan on walkers and wheelchairs, so we had a ramp built going down the 6" step to the family room from the kitchen. The new lino was so slippery that the dogs and DH were sliding down the ramp until I put out a carpet runner with non-slip pad underneath. Now no problems, but I am very careful on the bare floor when barefoot or in socks.

No pics yet, but email me from MyPage if you want some when I take them.

o

Nancy & Fori,

Was your installation difficult? Did you do any patterns in the sheet? We have 436 sqft to do and have not gotten an estimate yet. I am trying to figure out what to expect...

o

nancy_in_mich, would you just post the whole thing when you get done? My breezeway needs something. I wasn't thinking Marmoleum because of the cost. then I went to the web site and got discouraged reading the click page. I got confused reading the sheet page so now I'm back to undecided. I have the washer/dryer and mega dogs there. Spills, drips, toe nails and all sorts of things make me think it's not the best choice.

o

I met with the flooring guy about the Marmoleum today. I do not have the estimate yet, but the border alone for the faux rug in our den will be approx $450+. It is only a little over 4' 4" x 4' 4" "rug" but that will be the center of the den and will mean I do not have to buy rugs and or worry about cleaning them/stains. It also is a lot cheaper than trying to do borders in the kitchen because that would be a heck of a lot more linear feet of borders (the most expensive part of the flooring).

The kitchen will be "Click" tiles in a zig zag pattern (not checkerboard) and the den will be sheet Marm with one color as the field and one color inside the "rug". The border has those 2 colors and 2 others. The sheet is more expensive than the Click, so am doing the largest space with Click to keep the price down.
Of course, I have to add labor in for everything, but the Click part is cheaper for that as well.

I will post when I have prices and that may help others guess about their own. The guy said he will "work with me" on price. I made sure to ask if I should put my order through my gc and he said he'd give me the same discount directly. It really pays to ask for the discount, although I do not know how much that will impact the total yet. With the economy down, I think places with wiggle room will wiggle more these days than previously ;)

o

I'm seeing that many of you are using click in kitchens, I thought it wasn't good for places that might get water?

Is anyone worried that a dishwasher leak might cause the floor to be ruined?

Is this a reason to go with sheet or really nothing to worry about?

I'm set on Marmoleum but really can't decide between the Click and the sheet. I won't be doing a self install no matter what.

o

We're doing Click as well, and I asked about the water issue. The flooring people said they haven't really had problems with it, but recommended sealing the edges with silicone and not letting water sit on it for long periods of time (though I guess with a leak, you might not have that option). I was less concerned about the Marmoleum and more concerned about the subfloor if something happened, but from what I understand it hasn't really been a huge issue. I can see how sheet might have an advantage there, though.

o

I'm not really worried about the floor...It would have to sit a long time to be a problem, I think. For another thing (the main one, I suppose), our dishwashers have a leak-stop feature that should help in that instance.

Also, although it wouldn't be fun to do, it is possible to replace pieces of the Click.

o

I also have leak alarms that I will put under the sink, freezer (icemaker inside) and dw. They are fairly cheap and I think the peace of mind is worth it. That covers the hours that someone is home at least...

o

If it's not too personal, why did people choose click over sheet if you did? Was it just cost or was it because you could DIY more easily. I just thought the sheet would be bomb proof, but I see now the click is fairly impervious as well. Having lived through a dishwasher failure on 3 WEEK OLD wood floors, I realize that water can make a mess!

o

We chose click for the DIY factor, I just wish they had more colors (the sheet is extremely heavy and the biggest complaint with sheet is if someone hasn't installed it correctly or made your floor level enough)

We ordered it and Raven was on backorder for 2 weeks (I hope we get the notice that it will ship tomorrow) I have to say that our local flooring place was not very flexible on the price so we saved $600 buying it online. I need to read the rules here if I'm allowed to disclose where I bought but when you do a search online, it pops up right away.

We'll be installing it as soon as it comes in which as long as it's filled tomorrow, it should show up mid-next week (3-5 business days to fill and 2-3 business days for shipping) in 2 weeks I hope we have pictures.

o

oooh - Igarvin - I am so excited to see yours ;) How much are you paying for your Click per sqft? Our floor guy said he will work with us on price, but I'd like to know where the baseline is. Since we need an installer, I think we are stuck with paying a more retail price, but I do not want to pay tons more. There are 2 other certified dealers on the Island, but I'd rather not have to go further and start the process over with each one to see if the price would be better. I hope to negotiate the guy I met with to a decent number.

Clueless: There is more room for creativity with the sheet, but that comes with a higher price tag. It also costs more for the material, both the Marm itself and in our case, the plywood put underneath so that the floors transition well on the same plane (will have hardwood and sheet Click to transition to on 2 sides). I would guess that if you are installing it as a single sheet in a square or rectangular room, it may cost less to install than if you need to work it around things, use several colors and make it more complicated.

The Click is great for certain patterns or for a solid color. There are limited color choices with Click, while the sheet has every color you could want.

We wanted to use a border design to create a faux area rug in our den, but you can't mix the borders with Click, so it has to be sheet there. There are no Click borders.

The Click will be in our kitchen and I am only using 2 colors, because they do not have the 3rd one we wanted in Click. Since that will be nearby in the den design, we will make do and save the money.

o

We did not do any patterns or "rugs" or borders. Just sheet linoleum. The price included pulling up old carpet in the family room, putting down a luan underlayment on top of the subfloor, installation, the flooring itself, and metal edging to transition to the hall carpet and on the ramp. It did not include any baseboard work or even toe kicks. I still have to do all of that. It may be weeks until we have photos, as we are finishing work in the kitchen. BTW, our installer attended and graduated from the official Marmoleum installation school. He says that the flooring store sent him and one other guy, and the other guy did not "pass" the course. Be sure that your sheet installer has the knowledge to work with the stuff. It has "humps" in it from the drying racks and you have to know how to cope with them to do a proper install.

I had click lino in my last kitchen. It was not Marmoleum brand, but was a European product called Nova Linoleum that does not appear to be sold here anymore. We remodeled the kitchen and sunroom there into our "forever" kitchen, then MOVED only two years later. Lino is not well-known around here. I imagine a lot of prospective buyers were looking at it and thinking we were crazy for having an old fashioned floor. The house never sold. It was empty for a year and a half. I had a rent-to-own tenant there for two and a half years, and now have a friend there. The floor still looks great.

The guy we bought our current floor from says that he got the Marmoleum display primarily because it was colorful, he being tired of the brown and beige nature of flooring. I don't know how much of it he sells, but I get the impression that they do not do more than a couple of installations a month, if that. We did not have to wait for the installer to be free.

o

We chose Click because we could DIY it, which made it cheaper. The added advantage is the cork backing. Of course I can't tell how much better that makes it to walk on, as I haven't had the sheet style. Also, at the time we got ours, the Click had a different finish than the sheet Marmoleum...With the Click it was recommended you only use water to clean it, but the sheets were being waxed or having some sort of bottled product applied. I believe they both have the same top surface now.

o

We chose Click for similar reasons---cork backing and DIY ability. The biggest reason, though, is that we have a lovely fir subfloor (well, we hope it will still be lovely once they get the tile up, but it's looking promising!) We aren't using it because our dog would destroy it, but future owners might want to refinish it and use it as the floor. Click is a floating floor, and protects that ability; the sheet is put down with an adhesive and might make it difficult to use the fir later.

The cost difference isn't huge where we live---sheet is a couple dollars cheaper per square foot, but requires a professional installation, so for mid-sized kitchens it's a wash.

Also, if you don't care whether you have Click or Click II (the new one), Click is on sale a lot of places right now. Click II is supposed to be easier to install for DIYers, but especially if you're getting a professional installer anyway, could be a good way to save money by getting the old one.

o

I have sheet in "Eternity". Small kitchen still required a seam. There are 2 types of seams--heavy duty "welded" and butt seams. Nothing will get through the welded, but it's large and needs to be part of what you're after to not look bad. And it needs to be done right. My installers had many issues, one of which was me not wanting a giant seam (that was badly done). So it was reordered and reinstalled with an invisible seam and they had to come back a few times to redo it after that.

It should go in pretty easy. Hahahaha. Just get someone who knows what they're doing.

If you haven't seen it in JGarner's kitchen (from way back when), see if it's on the FKB. She went all out with the border.

o

Clueless, thanks for the nice compliment on my blog! It's my creative outlet in sea of mommy duties. About the Click over sheet question, in our case, it was primarily about budget. We got quoted well over $3,000 for a 10x10ish room for sheet. This included simple tearout of old vinyl. Getting a fun checkerboard pattern was a bonus.

o

Fori, was your new invisible seam done as welded? What was the difference between the first time and the second?

I'll definitely have a seam in the kitchen as well at several room breaks so would love to be better educated on what to look for.

o

My invisible (less visible) seam is not welded. Welding requires a strip of stuff that's about a quarter inch wide between the pieces. Depending on the pattern and color of your floor, it might not be that obvious. Looks like photobucket got weird since I was last there...the only picture I have convenient is now low resolution but here it is (I think when I was disturbed by this seam, Amy posted her invisible seam for me):

o
aha!

Here is a higher resolution picture. I somehow got stuck in photobucket mobile.

My complaint was not only the obviousness if the seam because I had been told it would be invisible, but the burn marks and scratches. But you can see how if you plan your seams they can become part of the design. And how if you have a small galley you won't be wanting this a third of the way across...

The owner of those feet and sibling have done all kinds of things to my floor in a year, especially with dragging and wheeling of things. It's held up well, and it IS possible to get tree sap off it. We do get puddles from time to time (our fridge likes to spit out ice cubes now and then) and neither coffee nor berries stain it. I have a remnant on my baking center because I'm too lazy to go pick out marble and it makes very nice counter top too (although I haven't tried rolling out dough on it).

Here is a link that might be useful: better picture

o

I used the Marmoleum Click panels in my kitchen/mud room areas. I love it! I put Whisper Wool underlayment underneath it, and this is the most comfortable room in the house.
I broke my back 2 years ago, but love to cook, so needed a comfortable floor to stand on. This one does the trick, not to mention it is warm in the winter, so much more so than the old hardwoods throughout the rest of my house. I keep it clean by running my vacuum over it a few times a week, and spills easily clean up with a wet rag. I don't use any chemicals on the floor, just a wet mop with with vinegar water.
The pet's water bowl leaked a few months ago and I didn't notice it for a few days. It appeared the water got between the click and it swelled just a bit, but after a few weeks it dried out without any noticeable damage. I got one large scratch after scooting a cabinet across a piece of dirt or gravel that traveled in on someone's shoe. Granted it was a heavy cabinet, and the scratch is pretty deep, but it is the same color, so I'm probably the only one who notices it!

I'm pretty impressed by how easy to care for it is, and it functions nicely in my home.

o

I have had sheet marmoleum in my kitchen for over 2 years. I went with the sheet because my research showed it was better suited for a kitchen than the click. I'm not sure that is the case. Overall, I am happy with it and would do it again.

In addition to the kitchen itself, the room has doors to driveway, garage, and the backyard, and we have a dog and two little boys. It has held up great to the traffic. Some wear and tear, but as expected. Our seeams were glued and I prefer the look of the the glued to look of the welded seems. Besides, our installer said they would not do welded seems in a residential setting.

I went with "walnut." It does show "spots" when an ice cube falls, melts, and dries until it actually gets wiped up, but otherwise it is very forgiving in terms of dirt and dog hair.

The biggest downside was the installation. Only one store would install it and they did a terrible job. There were serveral bubbles over the part of the floor with a concrete subfloor. They came back several times, made small cuts and added more glue. As you might imagine, it looks like a bubbled floor with cuts and too much glue. By the time they agreed to replace it, I didn't want them in my house. I've learned to live with it.

Overall, I would do it again in a heartbeat but I would only go with a well-known installer.

o

Thanks Fori. I had assumed that the welded seams were less visible than the glued seams, so I really appreciated your photo of the welded seam. I think that unless I was going with a color change, the welded would be more visible than I'd like.

Maybe I could work a color change or band into the design to make the seams less visible.

Acc, would you mind sharing a photo of your walnut?

o

We are considering checkerboard Marmoleum, so I'm glad to see this thread! Can anyone explain what sort of underlayment you need for the click? What we have is a vinyl floor, underneath which is a plywood sheet. Under the plywood is probably either ancient linoleum (like from the 1930s) and then hardwood, or just the hardwood. Could we lay Marmoleum on top of the vinyl floor, or do we need another layer in there between them? Thanks!

o

6.99/sq ft - our local store want $9.50/sq ft and $200 for shipping/padding (yeah, padding the price was my reaction) and they had the same minimum order (26 boxes) their stair noses/etc were also $10 more a piece so all that quickly adds up. I hope this is helpful!

the only underlayment for click is if you have to go over cement - otherwise none is needed. We have cement board over our old linoleum which is glued to the unfinished wood floor which is just like the rest of our house.

o

Igarvin - our local store price is $6.99 & $9.99 a foot (not sure which is Click and which is sheet), but they promised to "work" with us on price. They will have my estimate later in the week, so I will have it all clarified then.
I can't imagine why a local place is charging for shipping...

o

Here are pictures of the walnut. The second is to show you the seam.

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

I am so happy to have found this thread! We are doing a kitchen/family room addition, and I have found all the information on this site re: kitchen countertops, appliances, islands, etc., invaluable. I just found out about Marmoleum when I was doing a search on the web, and I fell in love with the old-fashioned look of the checkerboard pattern. I think you can only get that look with the Marmoleum Click, but if someone knows of a way to do it with the sheets, let me know. I went to a flooring store to look at samples, and the floor guy was VERY negative about using it for my mudroom/laundry. He said that if it gets even the tiniest bit wet it will bubble and buckle and ruin the floor, and he also said that if it gets wet it will void the manufactuer's warranty. He kind of scared me off the idea, and my husband was definitely turned off. Anyone have anything to add about the water issues? I definitely want something durable and practical, but I so love the feel and look of the old-fashioned linoleum . . . . Any and all help and advice is greatly appreciated.

o

dianalo - I have no idea why they wanted me to pay for shipping but when I called them to better their price, they were less than receptive. They were the only dealer in the area, maybe that's why. There were price differences between rectangular click and square - the square was a $1 more from the place I ordered and $2.50 more at the local place.

acc0406 - I love that color! great choice

margcooks - salesman doesn't sound like he knows what he is talking about - was he pushing other, more expensive product perhaps? I've never read a single negative thing about water/linoleum interactions and lots of great reviews on this site alone. I can see if it flooded (you'd have issues with any flooring) but not everyday use.

Linoleum technology hasn't changed too much and has been around a very long time. The asbestos ones we just buried under subfloor were in fantastic shape, almost new for being 50 years old even in the area where there was a sink leak, the tiles didn't pop up at all.

o

Yeah no worries about water unless it gets under the floor and eats up your subfloor and/or the backing on the linoleum (maybe the Clik--the sheet is waterproof through and through. I used a chunk as a placemat for my cat and threw it in the sink for washing for a while). It's solid and it's pretty much impervious to water. Just go to the website and order some free tiny samples and play with them.

You do need a smoooooth subfloor for the sheet. Since I didn't know enough when I ordered mine to specify which seam I wanted, I guess I was lucky that a speck of something created a BUMP that pretty much demanded a redo.

o

They do make sheet tiles, but I imagine they cost more than Click to install.

We are doing the Click 1 x 3' and 1 x 1' in a pattern that will be 3/4 one color and 1/4 the other. It will look like rows of diamonds rather than a traditional checkerboard. It is a little less busy. The 1 x 3s cost less per sqft and there would be fewer seams than if we did all 1 x 1s.

They have all sorts of pics and ideas on their website.

o

Thank you all, so much, for your responses. Very helpful. FYI, I contacted Forbo (the manufacturer) with my questions, and the (crabby) salesman I talked to was dead wrong. According to them, it's an ideal product for laundry/mudroom, and it won't void the warranty. They could not have been nicer or more patient with all my questions, and they are sending me samples so I can see the colors together. (I think we're going with Click.) I'm getting excited about how it will look, and I'll post pictures (if I can figure out how) when it's done. Thanks again.

o

I can't wait to see everyone's looks! Our flooring is stuck in a port in NY - the longshoreman went on strike for 2 days and the backlog is crazy! I have no idea when we'll get our floor :(

o

I have friends who have sheet in their family room\kitchen - back of the house so kids traipsing in and out to the yard all the time. It's been about 5 years, they have 2 kids under 10 and it looks pretty much like it did the day it was installed. Their seams look like acc0406.

o

we started installing our marmoleum click last night in raven and volcanic ash... I am too excited to keep it to myself. I'll have better pictures when we are done with the installation.

Photobucket

Here is a link that might be useful: kitchen blog

o

Rhome--

Did all those kids come from your body?

Amazing!

o

I see that a number of you have had to "redo" your sheet marmoleum. What did that involve? Regluing, or reinstalling? Love my flooring but it is bubbling and the subflooring is begining to show through. We did have the subflooring approved by the certified installers. I'm not sure if they rolled the floor to ensure complete adherence. Just wondering what to do next..
Thanks for any suggestions.

o

I've enjoyed reading all of these posts. We have had Marmoleum sheet product in both bathrooms for about 15 years and it is impervious to the water and wear in the bathroom. Very warm and easy to clean. We're now in the process of re-doing the kitchen in our "new" home and are looking at the Click product because it offers some design fun, and our contractor can install it. The sheet product really requires a trained installer to properly weld the seams, and they can be pricey. One retailer suggested the click tiles would not be good in a kitchen as the seams would get dirty. The rep from the environmental building supply store said they would be great in a kitchen. I trust the latter company because they have sold Marmoleum since the start, while traditional flooring stores often are unfamiliar with the many positive attributes. From the reviews I've read, I think I will proceed with the Click. I'll report in when it's in and the kitchen is done in late November.

o

I had a bad experience with the install and decided we'd not use it anymore because of that. The place that did our install is the only one that 'says' they can do it in this area so we're out of luck. We switched to cork for the remainder of our flooring.

Also, if I was going to do it over, I wouldn't have picked such a dark brown, it really shows every speck of dust. It's a shame because I wanted to have it in the whole house.

o

I went ahead with the Marmoleum sheet last month. It hasn't been down long but so far I spend a lot of time admiring it! My installer was not Marmoleum certified but he's been laying flooring since the 1970s so the linoleum was something he was familiar with. My install went fine. My 12x26 floor came to just over $2,000. I didn't have a border but I did opt for the heat weld seams because of the breezeway with dogs location. Be aware the sheet is only 6.5 feet wide so you will end up with seams but they aren't noticeable. I would do it again. I have vinyl in the kitchen and bath but I knew vinyl would never hold up in the breezeway. I also had a 6.5x9 feet leftover piece. The company sent that much extra. Don't know if that's standard procedure? My installer said when it's the end of the run they often send the whole thing rather than keep a piece that isn't big enough for anything. If I would have to fix it sometime in the future I have a big enough piece to do it right.

o

I forgot to say that Marmoleum will send free samples. I got 8. They're about 5x7 which is big enough to get an idea of how the color looks. My choice was Shell. It's shades of brown, cream, tan, and almost gold. It was hard to choose! I finally took my top 3 choices to my 93 year old friend and the first one that she said was too old fashioned was the winner. I was looking for "old" for my old house.

o

I'm about to have sheet Marmoleum installed--it's scheduled for the 28th. I selected Serene Grey with some accent stripes of chartreuse using the welding rods. Initially, I contacted a local "green" building supply store, and they sent a certified installer. When I got the quote for the product and installation, I asked some questions and never got a reply. Since I'd had to "chase after" the store owner for the original bid, I decided to take another path.

I looked online and found a place with a lower price that included free shipping if the order was over something like $100. I called and asked some questions, but before ordering, I did a little more research. I found another place with an even lower price--it was on sale--and called to verify how long it would be on sale and the amount I needed. They had free shipping, too. The guy agreed to look at my floor plan to make sure so I emailed it. The sheet Marmoleum is sold in square yards, but since it is 6½ feet wide, you may end up with some extra because they're going to sell the whole width. (If how I wrote that makes any sense.) When I mentioned something about finding a certified installer, he offered to send me a list. This place is in California, but he got the info for me for Missouri. (I had found a place on the Forbo site that linked to, I think, a flooring installer union, but it looked like it would be harder to get the info.) So, my KD contacted one of the names (not the one who'd already been here), and this guy was much nicer, gave me a lower bid for doing more, including the welded seams and decorative stripes.

The welded seams are sort of like hot glue, as near as I can tell. After it's applied, the installer removes the excess that's above the floor so it should be nearly invisible. Also, for the warranty to be valid, it must be "installed using Forbo's recommended procedures and adhesives...", so I think it pays to have a good installer.

My kitchen is a galley, overall about 19' x 8', and part of it is an eat-in area of about 8' x 8' or so. I ended up buying 19 square yards. For the Marmoleum, adhesive, and installation, I'm paying about $1466. This is part of a kitchen remodel so the old flooring and underlayment/subfloor or whatever it's called were already taken care of.

So far, my kitchen is looking sooo goood! I'm eager to post photos of it when it's done!

o

The welding strips are actually plastic type 'thread' that the installer feeds through a special heated hand tool. He will pull this thing along the seam and it melts the material into the seam and then carves it flat-ish. If the seam is too tight, it won't work and if it's too wide (our problem) it won't work. Definitely a skill to installing this stuff, which our installers didn't possess.

You got a great price, btw. We paid 2k for one 9x10 bedroom, a teeny powder room and a small hall closet.

o

I have marmoleum click that we installed ourselves in our kitchen in main hallway about 2 years ago. I really love it, but just wondering if we were supposed to seal it with anything after we installed it, or if anyone has any recommendations for cleaners. Right now, I just use water and vinegar, but am open to suggestions. I can say I have two crazy dogs and the floor has held up great so far. I just haven't really found a cleaning process I love.

o

We installed linoleum (Marmoleum tiles) in our kitchen and I LOVE it. It is so comfortable to stand on, we had tile before and that was hellacious if I was in the kitchen for hours on end. My favorite part is how the linoleum feels on my feet, all of our visitors have commented that the floor feels so good--it takes on the ambient temperature and it feels dry and soft on your feet.

Most frustrating for me has been the need to clarify to people that we installed "real linoleum" since pretty much everyone (including floor stores! ACK!) call vinyl, "linoleum."

o

Suburban rancher-I could have written your post! I second every word of it.

o

I'd love to see any black and white checkerboard floors done in this product. I thought I found what I wanted in Amtico but it seems to have been discontinued.

thanks

o

suburbanrancher, the SALESLADY at the flooring store where I special ordered Marmoleum called it vinyl for 3 months. As far as I know she's still calling it vinyl. My parting email to her was to clarify that vinyl is not linoleum. Doubt she believed me. Drives me crazy. And my bill said vinyl install. Makes me wonder if my warranty is good for anything.

o

@sdchps, we also have the Click with one crazy dog and one crazy kid. I actually ended up ordering the Forbo Marmoleum cleaner because I was treating a couple of stains (both from oxygen bleach DH spilled) on our floor, and their instructions called for 100% strength cleaner as part of the process. Since we had so much left, I use it for cleaning now too. (You use it very diluted for regular cleaning.) Our old routine was a vinegar + water 50/50 mix but the Forbo cleaner does seem to work better. They also sell a sealer, which I got because it was the final step in the stain process, but then we didn't use it in the end because our local store had cautioned that we would want to seal the whole floor since the spots would be noticeably shinier otherwise. So we're waiting a while longer to do that. We've had the floor for three years now, and are generally happy with it. Treating the stains with the cleaner was successful (much to my surprise!) We do have a few small gouges in it, so sometime soon I am going to try their recommendation for that too (which involves scraping some of the top layer of flooring off of a spare piece, mixing it with glue, and filling the knicks...sounds crazy but I was skeptical of the stain treatment too, so I will give it a try!) HTH!

ETA: Ha, I just noticed I am way up thread on this one, too, from back before we'd even installed our floor. Wow, it's been a long time! :D

This post was edited by artemis78 on Tue, Dec 10, 13 at 1:12

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here