Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kitchen Layout

Posted by abellvt (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 18, 12 at 15:34

Hello: I am new here, but need help! We have an old farmhouse, which we will be in forever. I cook alot, often for 10-20 people. We are renovating our kitchen, but want to keep the layout roughly the same (i.e., appliances in the same place) to keep costs down. Currently, we have an L shaped layout, with an island. The spacing is so tight you cannot open the fridge door wide enough to remove a drawer. The only major change we are making in the layout is to close off a doorway, allowing a longer counter, so that we can move the range off the existing wall, onto the new wall, allowing the fridge to shift over. Any suggestions on the proposed layout would be welcome.

A couple of specific questions. I was planning an a pro-style range, but would be open to a rangetop/wall oven if that was advantageous for the layout (I can't seem to make it work). Also, I am worried by all the comments I read about the hood/MUA requirements ... how do I know if I can satisfy those things before selecting appliances?

In terms of style, I like a clean, uncluttered farmhouse look. Bead board wainscoting, bead board painted cabs (all will be custom; I have a great master carpenter), some open shelving, maybe concrete C-tops (no granite!). The unlabelled square in the corner of the layout is a sweet little soapstone woodstove with a bread oven.

Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kitchen Layout

I have beadboard and painted cabinets, and a layout similar to yours. My kitchen is in a modest 1920's farm cottage/bungalow. Your layout looks good to me, but I'm not one of the pro's. I hope one of them will see this and comment.

I have an electric range and a DIY hood with low CFMs, so no experience with a pro style range or hood. I've read that you can check the BTUs produced by your burners, then purchase a hood to move sufficient CFMs. IIRC, make-up air isn't necessary for anything under 400CFM. I'm linking an article from the appliances forum--if you have more questions, you can ask for help there, too.

Welcome the the kitchens forum--I'm looking forward to seeing your finished farmhouse kitchen.

Here is a link that might be useful: Commercial ranges in residential kitchens

o

BTW, I ran a search on 'makeup air' in the appliances forum. The article linked above was the first that came up, but there are many threads that address the subject.

Here is a link that might be useful: Makeup air info

o

"...want to keep the layout roughly the same (i.e., appliances in the same place) to keep costs down..."

What exactly are you asking for? You've already stated you are not open to moving appliances around - so there's not much we can help you with regarding layout since the location of the appliances is key to a good layout.

Are you really just looking for aesthetic advice?

One thing to keep in mind - since you're getting new cabinets be sure you have the layout you really want and one that will really work for you both now and in the future. Cabinets are usually the largest single expense in a Kitchen remodel - so do it right the first time! [You say you will be in this home "forever".]

Do you have a basement or crawl space under your kitchen? If so, moving plumbing is pretty inexpensive. Ditto gas, if that's what your cooking "fuel" is.

Moving appliances is usually very cheap compared to other expenses!

Some things to think about...

Are you the only person who ever works in the kitchen? Or, do others help? Do you have children who will someday also be working in the kitchen? [Plan for now and the future...]

If you are serious about asking for layout help, check the "Read Me" thread's "Layout Help" topic. It has a list of questions for you to answer that will help us help you get the best layout possible.

Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: New To Kitchens? Posting Pics? Read Me!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here