Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rhome410

Wolf oven's maiden voyage...finally

rhome410
13 years ago

The Wolf finally made its way from our hallway to the oven cabinet this weekend. It's a beauty, and everything seems sturdy and well-made. I haven't quite figured out the expedient way to move the glide racks around...I'm very awkward and fumbly about getting them uninstalled and installed in a different position...but they're really nice. And the 'regular' racks aren't anything to complain about.

I was surprised that the thermal oven, which is larger, has the same size racks, so you can't really take advantage of the larger oven cavity, but I imagine this leaves room for some air flow, even though there aren't fans.

Speaking of fans, the cooling fans are the loudest of any of the 4 ovens we've had, but not loud enough to be bothersome. Even when at 500 degrees, the oven door gets just warm on the outside and the air that's vented out is just warm, too...Nothing is anything close to hot.

The touch panel is really nice, but sensitive! I can turn something on by brushing it with my sleeve getting something out of the cabinet above. I love being able to punch in the exact temp I want, and not only in multiples of 25:

I will miss having a timer for each oven, and the clock still on when the timers are going that the Monogram had, but I'd rather have good baking than those:

The unanimous choice for our first Wolf dinner was pizza, even though we'd missed Friday by a couple of days. I followed the instructions for the 'Baking stone' mode, which has a default setting of 400 degrees. I decided to first try it their way, then adjust if needed. The book says to use only the Wolf stone for that mode, but I used mine. (Please don't call the pizza stone police!) The ones we have were actually made for putting ceramics in a kiln, so are heavier than normal baking stones, so I should have adjusted for that. The pizzas baked nicely, but took a lot longer than we're used to, and with my tribe waiting with empty plates, we need to produce faster! ;-) Next time I'll try a higher temp...and maybe try some in the thermal oven, too.

It took 12 -13 minutes, but nicely browned on top:

And equally nicely browned on the bottom. Could have been darker, but that, I think, is due to the thickness of the stone:

I hope to bake some hamburger buns/sandwich rolls today, and if I get that done will post more pics of the results. Sorry, Bmore...I haven't forgotten the pie request and I promise to get to it soon. :-)

Comments (78)

• Buehl
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I'm so glad the ovens seem to be working out...finally! That pizza looks so good! And those rolls...I like the ones a tad browner...but that's me!

So, how about loaves of bread? I may not be able to eat "real" bread, but I love looking at it and, especially, smelling it!

Out of curiosity, what is your pizza dough recipe?

• cotehele
    13 years ago

Rhome, It about time you have an oven you love. Enjoy baking with out any frustration! They look beautiful installed.Your DH did a nice job of altering the cabinet.

Interesting there is little difference between the convection and thermal ovens baking breads. Do you think multi-rack baking, say cookies, would work in the thermal oven? The buns baked with convection looks beautiful-evenly brown! Hey, didja forget what that looked like? lol I'm so glad the Wolf manual is better than Monogram's manual. Did it recommend the 25F difference in temp between the convection and thermal oven?

The pizza looks nicely browned and yummy. Do you pre-bake the crust? Let us know your experience using a higher temp for Friday's pies. Are you using both ovens for pizza?

I am so happy for you!!!!!

• susyk
    13 years ago

I am so glad to see your oven and their function. I got these same ovens but in the single form. Three of them. They connected them yesterday but probably won't be able to use them for another couple of days. I am so excited though. The control panel is extremely sensitive. Just brushing by it, changes the setting.
    Good luck and thanks for the input.

• Jbrig
    13 years ago

Wow, sounds like you're making progress in finally obtaining a beautiful, efficient, AND functional oven. Your "experimental" cooking looks delicious--hope y'all will enjoy many, many happy hours of baking in your new Wolf! I'm sure you would love to be able to put this oven/baking saga behind you and move on to a new chapter :-)

• friedajune
    13 years ago

Oh, I have SUCH wall-oven envy. Congratulations! I have a range now (an older Dacor, it's great), but in my "next" kitchen--who knows when that will be--I will have double wall ovens by Wolf (my fantasies about my next kitchen include a fantasy budget too).

When I read your OP, but before I scrolled to the pizza photo, I was thinking when you said they "took a lot longer than you're used to" it must be a half hour or so. LOL when I read 12-13 minutes! Your family must be like hungry lions, LOL again. The pizza looks beautiful. I wanted to reach into my computer screen, and grab a slice.

I really like the looks of the Wolf ovens. And while I always say I don't like a "matchy matchy" look for appliances, I do really like how the wall ovens and your rangetop go together, a nice symmetry.

As to timers, my recommendation is the Polder timer on a rope #898. You wear it around your neck, which allows you to go elsewhere in the house, or the yard or the cellar, and still know when the timer is going off. I am also linking below a thread from the Cooking Forum with a bunch of recs and pics of timers.

Here is a link that might be useful: Thread about Kitchen Timers

• rhome410
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the timer ideas. The one for around my neck sounds like a good idea, since I do wander off upstairs or outside. I could definitely use that when I water the garden so I don't forget to move the hose/sprinkler! I hate extra cluttery, especially chintzy-looking gadgets like timers and such, but to have this oven, I'll make the exception. ;-)

Hungry lions, lol, well, close! 7 of our kids were home for pizza Sunday night, and it takes them far less than 13 minutes to polish off pizza #1 and have plates impatiently ready for pizza #2! ...Or actually, pizza #3, because #2 was the one with (horrors) mushrooms that only a couple of us like. Anyway, I know it may sound silly, but we are used to baking pizzas on the stone for 7 or 8 minutes, 13 slowed down the works. It definitely is far better than the 25+ minutes it used to take, pre-baking stone.

AKChicago, I certainly never intended to match my oven to my rangetop, but here I am now with both Wolf. I actually don't feel like they go together in style all that well. But matchy matchy in performance is OK with me!

Lisa, everyone deserves appliances that work well! :-)

SusyK...THREE of them! Wow, wow, wow. And they'll all be convection, have the probe and their own timers,...NICE. You must bake a ton and/or cook for an army larger than mine? And your kitchen must be sizable, too. I hope you're going to show it to us! I can't wait. I promise to be in awe and at least a bit jealous. ;-)

Yes, Cotehele, the manual said to cut the temp by 25 degrees for the convection. Usually I don't do that, but I didn't want to take chances with too high a heat on the buns. No one likes burned buns! The manual says to use only one rack for regular bake, but I used to do 2 racks of cookies in our old GE range without convection, so I'm thinking this oven could probably handle it, if necessary. I think that on Friday, I will try using that oven for pizza also, and see what the difference is. And the lions won't get so restless!

I don't pre-bake my crusts...although I will next time DH brings the cross-country team over and I have to bake 20 pizzas in a row! Anyway, usually, I don't. My recipe is very simple. Sunday night I made 5 pizzas. For those I used
    3 cups warm water
    1 Tbsp SAF instant yeast
    3 Tbsp sugar
    1 Tbsp salt
    enough flour to form an elastic, non-sticky dough...Maybe 7 cups? Mostly this is all-purpose flour...But since I grind my own whole wheat flour, it goes against my grain (haha) to make anything out of all white flour, so I mix in 2 or 3 cups of whole (hard white) wheat and the rest is unbleached all-purpose.

I make it in my Bosch bread mixer, but also used to in my KA with the dough hook. Way back, I did it by hand, but I am lazier now. haha I put all the ingredients in together, mix and knead for about 5 minutes.

After it's kneaded, I take it from the bowl and divide it onto pieces of parchment, form it into balls, spray the tops of the balls with Pam, and let them rest while I mix up the sauce and prep other toppings. Then I spread the dough out, top them, and bake 'em. I once tried a crust recipe that took all day, or even a couple of days (I can't remember for certain), and it seemed no better. I can start this dough at 4:30 or so and have pizzas baking by 5:30 or 6:00.

Bread will be coming, Buehl! Won't need it for a day or so with the buns to keep sandwich makers happy. I've also been meaning to create a sourdough starter so I can make more interesting breads. Now that I'm hopefully past the oven dramas, I can get back on track with that idea. Although, my Alaska Sourdough book tells me it takes a year for it to be really good...So I'd better get it going!

• segbrown
    13 years ago

I'm going to copy a post I made on Appliances some months ago when someone asked about convection; you probably know most of this, maybe it will help some -- I thought the percentages were informative ... and congrats!
    ----------

I took a little course put on by the Wolf distributor here ... it was very informational. They didn't recommend using straight convection for anything that has much of a side on the pan, because the side blocks the air circulation, which is how the food is being cooked, so the top will cook faster than the inside. But it's fine to use convection with cookie sheets and broiler pans, or at least try to use the lowest side available. Also, don't cover food if you're using convection.

They recommended convection bake for pies, not straight convection. And, if you are using straight convection, flavors will not transfer (eg, it's okay to bake a tray of bacon-wrapped scallops on one rack and cookies on another).

They also said to turn down heat 25 degrees and reduce time 20 to 25 percent with convection, which matches what I've heard elsewhere.

Here is the percentage of oven element used for each mode (this is for Wolf)

Bake stone = 40% broil, 60% stone
    Bake = 10% broil, 90% bake (the hidden element on bottom)
    Convection bake = 90% fan, 10% bake
    Broil = 100% broil
    Convection broil = 100% broil, 100% fans
    Roast = 25% broil, 75% bake
    Convection roast = 25% broil, 75% fans
    Convection = 100% fans

• rhome410
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Segbrown...The percentages are interesting and helpful. I like to know where the heat is coming from and how it's distributed when making decisions about which mode to use.

I did know the rest, but maybe others didn't. I thought it was interesting that their 'convection bake' is pretty much just for pies. Pies are important, though, and it's nice to know the oven is especially engineered to do them justice. :-)

• plllog
    13 years ago

I've been using convection bake on my Gaggenau for roasting and braising. I suppose with smaller cuts it could be crockpottery. Yesterday, I made a whole brisket in my small, graniteware roaster (the pan (not including lid) is 8 qt.). Sliced onions, carrots, celery, in the bottom, then a good sized brisket, covered with sliced onions, carrots, celery, garlic, and mushrooms, with snap peas and tiny potatoes filling the sides. No liquid (other than what was in the veg) or seasoning since most of the meat will go in burritos. 5+ hours on 310 degrees, covered--no peeking. I only threw the peas in because they needed using and they did get a little overcooked. The rest was perfect.

I think the convection really helps. I don't know from a physics standpoint why this should be true, but I've been doing a lot of braises with convection bake, and they've been coming out amazingly well. I did chicken a couple of weeks ago (spatchcocked) with Korean teriyaki sauce, spices, shallots and peaches which was stupendous.

The manual is a great starting place, but once you feel comfortable with what your new ovens actually do, branch out!

• rhome410
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh, yes, certainly will adapt to make the oven work the way I want it to. That's why it really helps, though, to know specifically from which ways the heat is coming, and not just guess, based on my own trials. Should mean fewer trials and, perhaps, shorten the learning curve.

• lascatx
    13 years ago

Hello again -- you may have had a result on the probe iin the other thread but I may have missed it. Doesn't matter -- you've got one.

Yes, I have 3 broiling pans and have never used any of them. I only kept them because they match the ovens and they stack easily to not take up much room. I feel like I should keep one, but I sure don't need 3. You are welcome to one or two -- I only wish I could deliver in person. I feel a certain kinship with your kitchen and can almost smell the baking.

BTW, the boys use the default 400 bake stone setting for frozen pizza (yeah, I gave up with the 4th or 5th meal of the day -- like 11 pm, midnight or later when we get home from a football game, they are starving and every place is closed -- DiGorno is not all bad), but for homemade, we use 450 to 500. I have also tried a second stone in the middle of the oven and the crust doesn't bake as well (the cheese browns first). I have wanted to try it on a convection cycle and longer preheat to see if that makes any difference. Will let you know if we find a way to successfully bake more than one large pizza at a time in a single oven. We might do a half dozen or dozen but 20 is impressive!

• loves2cook4six
    13 years ago

Rhome. Wow you got Wolf's. I know you are going to love them!!!

I am so happy for you to have high performance ovens. Come on over to "cooking" now and share :)

• rhome410
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Lascatx, I wish you could deliver in person, too! I feel like you're one of my oldest friends here on the forum. :-) (Maybe I should say 'one of my FIRST friends' instead!)

Thanks, Loves2cook. I visit "Cooking" every once in while. I don't usually feel up to the cooking caliber there! So much knowledge and so helpful, though.

• loves2cook4six
    13 years ago

LOL, you'd easily fit in to the "cooking calibur". No one there is too pretenious but there is a lot of knowledge and a lot of friendships and a lot of fun.

• morgne
    13 years ago

Rhome,

I'm a technogeek on some level so I don't know if this would work for you or not but I don't use the timers on my ovens... I use the alarms on my phone.

I have my phone on my 24/7 so I know that I'll hear it in any room in the house... because it's with me. And I can set the alarm to sound any way I like so I know what the alarm is for. You can even put a note on the alarm like "oven 1, turn" or "oven 2, remove".

Save yourself the money of buying yet another dodad!

• rhome410
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Interesting idea, Morgne. But I don't have a very high-tech phone and getting to the place to set an alarm and setting it would be more time than it's worth, besides making the notes in T9 word. ;-) (DS laundered my QWERTY keyboarded phone with his baseball pants!)

• morgne
    13 years ago

Lol! Yes, I could see that as having a problem. I have a newer touch screen phone (the hero with sprint) so I just have a shortcut on the main page. One touch and I'm there.

Still, not everyone is as technogeeky as me so it might be a hassle to deal with it upfront even if you had an expensive phone.

• susyk
    13 years ago

Lol, well, I have six kids and usually cook/bake every week for over 16 people (hence three ovens).
    I'm excited to use them and your blog has made it even more exciting. The tiny, old, old (26 years old) ovens i have had for the past four years have been a disaster so it makes it even more exciting.
    Just waiting for all these workers to finish and leave :).
    Keep up with your baking and pics!

• mindstorm
    13 years ago

Oh whoa! What happened that got you to give the boot to the old ovens?! Gorgeous ovens these, however. Just look at that pizza and the rolls! Really splendid!

I am very surprised to hear you say that the fans on the Wolf are the loudest of the armada of ovens you've tried. When I was playing around with ovens, the Wolf was hands-down the quietest blowing oven. But as long as they work well, eh? Gauging by the pics, these chaps work stupendously.

Congratulations. I do so hope you can find a new signature tune! :-)
    Visually, I think these are the best looking of the bunch. Best performing, too, we hope.

• rhome410
    Original Author
    13 years ago

You are very fortunate, SuzyK! I used to bake for the 10 of us in a 30" electric range, so I feel pretty rich with the double oven now. Sounds like you've paid your dues in ovens also. Still can't wait to see your kitchen.

Mindstorm, the Monogram was SO quiet. The convection fans on this one are really quiet, too, but I can hear the cooling fans on this one. I have to take it back that they are the loudest, because the F&P may have beat them. It's a different sound. The Wolf fans are more of an air movement sound where the F&P had more of a mechanical hum sound.

I'm not sure what the exact ticket was that got GE to give me a refund. Whatever it was didn't happen for Cotehele who has identical complaints. Somehow with pictures of half white and half brown pizzas and thermometers with temperature variations, long and detailed emails documenting different problems...including conversations between Cotehele and I proving it wasn't a lemon problem, but an oven engineering issue, and a little bit of input from the store where I bought it, it happened. Even the guy who was contracted to pick up the oven and give me my check was surprised. I will certainly be happy to sing a different tune. :-)

Yesterday I made granola and followed the Wolf instructions to use Convection Broil to roast pieces of chicken. Both turned out well.

• mindstorm
    13 years ago

Mmmm. Chicken-granola ....

(Mercifully I'm vegetarian and don't have to espouse an opinion on that one) :-p

• rhome410
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yuck..The mere idea makes me queasy.

• newcastlemom
    13 years ago

Hip Hip Hurray for Rhome! I'm so glad. Those buns look amazing. I had the maiden voyage of my convection oven this morning; heading off to the post office to send brownies to the college kids. Still warm.
    I'm so happy for you Rhome. You deserve this to work perfectly for a long, long time.

• lascatx
    13 years ago

My original oven was louder and the one I have now the quietest, so they can vary a bit. If it bothers you, aske them to come check it and make sure nothing is restricting the air flow.

I had both ovens on last night -- one at 350 and one at 450. I wonder if it blows harder with both ovens and/or high temps or if it was just that I turned the vent hood on because something was smoking off the pizza stone I left in the one oven. I'll let you know if I come to a conclusion on that one. ;-)

• rhome410
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh, good point! I think I noticed the cooling air movement sound most on the first day when I'd done the burn off. So both ovens had been on, not at once, but both to high heat.

It's not really bothersome and doesn't seem to sound constricted or impeded.

• marmoreus
    13 years ago

Congrats on getting your new (and hopefully, final) ovens in, rhome! The pizza and the buns look great and I appreciate you posting the pizza dough recipe. Can't wait to try it!

• rhome410
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Dough making pics to illustrate the recipe instructions above:

Tried the oven at 500 this week. Still not quite right. Might be the stones that are made for firing clay in the kiln...Might be too heavy. But will try 525 next week. According to the manual, the "Stone" mode is only available in the top oven, but it let me choose it for the bottom one, too. It doesn't have the fans, but seems to work about the same.

Now, bread for Buehl and Trailrunner:

And pies for Bmore! Hope it's OK that they're chicken pot pies instead of something like berry. The first one was baked on Convection Bake, the mode that's supposed to be for pie. The crust edge was too brown for my taste, so the 2nd one baked mostly on Bake. The convection one cooked at least 10 minutes faster...but I'd usually rather have the lighter crust.

The 2, side by side:

So far, so good. No complaints!

• plllog
    13 years ago

Yum!

• sherriz
    13 years ago

Congrats on the maiden voyage. I can't wait to use our new Wolf in about 2-3 months. The countdown should begin soon. I could be wrong here, I think I see tin foil in the oven but not sure if it's on the bottom or not. Wolf advises NOT to use tin foil on the oven floor as it can burn directly onto the beautiful blue oven and not be able to removed. Just looking out for you...

• cj47
    13 years ago

Lovely!! Congratulations, it looks like these are winners!!

Cj

• rhome410
    Original Author
    13 years ago

No worries, Sherriz, I would never put foil on the oven floor...But thanks for the concern. That particular stone had some clay left on it and dh insisted on wrapping the bottom of it so it wouldn't come off in the oven...so it's only between the stone and the oven rack...Not touching the oven cavity. I hope your timeline stays on track and you get to try your oven soon!!

• Susied3
    13 years ago

Ahh Rhome, it's so nice to see you finally at peace with your ovens... Or at least, let's hope so! I think with this choice you can't go wrong, your bread, pizzas, pies look magnificent and I wish we didn't live cross country, you may find a beggar at your door while doing without an oven!
    Have you roasted anything in it yet?

• rhome410
    Original Author
    13 years ago

We cross-posted, Cj...Thanks for your continued moral support!

Susie, I was going to roast some chicken pieces, but looked in the manual and they recommended using Convection Broil for the thighs (had bones and skin) and just Broil for the skinless, boneless breasts I had. So I followed their directions instead and everything came out great...and quicker than with my former roasting method. Of course, I often have more than one pan of chicken pieces per oven, and the broiling methods wouldn't have worked for multiracks. I will probably try a whole chicken in the near future. Maybe a turkey, since they'll be available for good prices soon.

• motherof3sons
    13 years ago

Would you please come to my house in Illinois? I would love to have someone bake for me. :-)

• kaysd
    13 years ago

Oh man, do those chicken pot pies look good. I would happily eat the one with the darker edges if it is a "reject." ;)

• rhome410
    Original Author
    13 years ago

You both are so nice. My baking is really the 'anyone can do it kind.' I don't have the patience to do anything complex! ;-)

• puppeez
    13 years ago

I'm with kaysd...I'll take your rejects! I like em a little browned, same for the pizzas. I gotta ask on those pizza crusts...how do you get them so 'perfectly' round?? And you cut the parchment to match! When does the next session of baking101 with Rhome begin? See?...I need that blog!

• kateskouros
    13 years ago

congratulations! everything looks wonderful. here's to many happy meals. and of course, hoping all remains well!

• rhome410
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Just to let those interested know...I have FINALLY started the blog. I promise to try to get a pizza lesson on there soon, Puppeez! I missed your question before, about how to get the pizza crusts round, so hope you see this...I just push them from the middle out and keep going around so they stay evenly round from starting in the round ball shape. I'm afraid that's not a very helpful explanation?! I think I have some pics of the shaping process, so I'll locate them and try to get them on the blog.

Thanks for all the encouragement!

Here is a link that might be useful: RHome410.blogspot.com

• artemis78
    13 years ago

Okay, so this is pretty pathetic, but---clicking through to your blog and reading the intro is the *first* time I've figured out how to parse your user name (in spite of having all of the necessary information long ago...) D'oh!

At any rate, welcome to the blogosphere! :) Can't wait for some good recipes to try oh-so-soon.

• breezygirl
    13 years ago

Hooray for the blog! Your bucket list made me chuckle. And a big cheer for the oven performing up to expectations.

LOL Artemis! It took me a couple of months before I realized that she wasn't Rhome as in "I can't spell Rome", but R-Home. And I thought maybe 410 was her area code!

• rhome410
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Funny, but I'm not surprised...It seemed more obvious when I signed up and there were 'cases' in our user names, so it was RHome410 instead of rhome410. I guess I should have used some spaces!

Buehl tells me that any browsers that use ad-blockers can't click through my links or the Amazon search box, so you'll have to disable them just for my page if you want to use those things. That explains why my Amazon gadgets just show as white lines on my PC with Google Chrome ad-blockers, but show just fine on my Mac with Safari.

• breezygirl
    13 years ago

Good to know about ad-blockers. I'll remember that when I got through your site to Amazon.

Looking forward to more entries and yummy food photos!

• artemis78
    13 years ago

@breezygirl, me too for a while on the area code---except I know 410 country (my mom grew up there!) and at some point realized that wasn't the connection. :)

@rhome410, your links actually work fine with my ad-blocker---it's just the Amazon search that mine tries to block, but that can be allowed universally in most ad-blockers, I think. (I'm using Adblock Plus on Firefox for Mac.)

• rhome410
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh, good...Thank you for letting me know. I still don't know why my PC won't even show the Amazon search box or the Amazon ads across the bottom. I haven't tried to disabling the adblocking feature on Chrome to see if it helps.

• puppeez
    13 years ago

OH BOY...The blog is here!! Thanks Rhome for the explanations...I wondered why you went to the trouble of cutting the parchment to match the pizza size. I probably would have started a fire in the oven because I wouldn't have thought about the reason why you trimmed the parchment. I saved your recipe for the pizza dough so I can try my hand at make those luscious 'perfectly' round crusts once the kitchen is put back together...probably not until after the holidays. Great job on the blog, Thanks!

• kitchenkrazed09
    13 years ago

Rhome - I love seeing photos of the delicious-looking things you are baking with your new ovens and glad to hear the ovens are working out. I was wondering, is your oven cabinet the standard 24" depth? Did you have any trouble with the install? The installation instructions mention something about needing a bigger cabinet, I think if you want a flush install. Also, are your ovens from the "E" series? Thanks and looking forward to more photos!

• rhome410
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Kitchenkrazed09,
    The interior opening of the cabinet for the standard installation, which is what we did, needed to be 24"...So a standard 24" has to be backless. The flush/inset install requires 25"...Which can also be done with a standard cabinet that is backless, but away from the wall an inch. I seem to remember that they also recommend a wider cabinet for the inset look. We have a 30" frameless cabinet.

Let me know if you have more questions, or if there are specific photos you'd like to see. There will be more photos on the blog I just started (linked above on Nov 20 post) than I usually put here, but they're not all oven-related.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wolf E-Series installation guide (PDF)

• kitchenkrazed09
    13 years ago

Thanks so much Rhome, that's very helpful. I've been getting a kick out of your blog, by the way. :)

• rhome410
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks! :-)