Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kathec_gw

What do you do with 6 inches...

kathec
13 years ago

Base cab that is. I think it may be unavoidable in my small kitchen next to my range, so I was wondering if you have a 6" pull out and can share what you keep inside. I saw rollie's with a knife block and utensils. Very clever, DNK if it's 6" or wider. I don't really need more spice or oil storage, probably more like pot holders and/or utensils.

I'm trying to get ideas.

I'm very visual, so pictures will help... a lot.

Thanks!

Kathe

Comments (14)

• rhome410
    13 years ago

In our previous house, we had an odd 6 inches and just put a full height door and kept a folding step stool in there. It was one of my favorite details of the remodel. The step stool was so handy, but out of sight.

• markb
    13 years ago

I saw the title of this thread and I thought...... Never mind

• kateskouros
    13 years ago

well, i had three inches and the cabinet maker was able to do a pull out for me to hide a step ladder. i think i must have stolen this idea from rhome!

• plllog
    13 years ago

Six inches is also big enough for a spice/oil pullout if it's near the cooking or baking area, or a cleaning doodads pullout if it's near the sink.

Some people leave it open (finished inside) and put in a telescoping towel rack. Pull out, drape towel, push in. If your kitchen isn't very humid you could even put a door with an open grid to hide the towels, and if you wanted to get fancy you could run a lever so that when you open the door the towel rack automatically pulled out.

You could also use it as is for cutting boards.

Just don't do as I had in a previous kitchen and put in a shelf. :) Talking about useless! (That house was built when shelves were permanent, so the cabinet went unused.)

• rococogurl
    13 years ago

It may sound odd to say "leave it open" but it's very practical. 6" is a good storage "bin" width and if left open you could slide big things like oven racks, sheet pans and anything that's up to 33" tall in and out easily.

These aren't as popular here as they really should be but I think they just haven't been shown a lot.

Here is a super fancy kitchen that used dowels as dividers but it's the same idea -- scroll down to the third photo and look to the right of the peninsula cabinet.

Here's a way more rustic kitchen (a real one in Tuscany). There they leave a lot of the bottom cabinets open -- this one has two open areas to the right of the range. The second one looks to be about 6 inches. They aren't finished as nicely in the Tuscan kitchen as in the other one but it's the same idea.

• lyvia
    13 years ago

You could put cans or boxes, cereal or pasta, in a six inch pullout. Or maybe a place for tin foil, saran wrap, bags etc. Or hang utensils, but that seems fussy to me. I would have an upper section with cans and/or boxes, and a lower section that pulls out a board with hooks on it for towels and such. Actually in my house, towels needs more air to dry, and more protection from dog hair. In my house, if there is storage, stuff will come ...

• marytwit
    13 years ago

I think this is more like 9 inches. The top drawer is great for utensils and the bottom has a vertical partition. I use it for trays and platters, but could also use it for cookie sheets, etc.

{{!gwi}}

• homey_bird
    13 years ago

I have a tall cabinet, 6" wide, between my wall and the refrigerator. We store brooms, step stool, Aluminum foil, plastic wrap, trash bags etc. I'm sure that if we were a bit creative with the organization with more hooks or shelves, we'd be able to store a lot more! It's very handy. Just make sure you do not have to bend out of shape (literally!) to access it.

Hope this helps.

• gillycat
    13 years ago

can't find the exact one i am thinking of but this is a general idea of it.
    basically you have a steel pegboard and can hold cooking utensils
    6 inches is quite a lot of space.

as above you can also use it for step-stool/ladder, pans and cookie sheets

Here is a link that might be useful: peg board idea

• txpepper
    13 years ago

Markb....I just snorted all over my computer screen. LOL

But to answer the question, I'm going to try and use this pegboard storage system in my reno:

Here is a link that might be useful: Rev-a-Shelf Pegboard 434 Series

• theresse
    13 years ago

Hahahaha - well you got my attention anyway!

Katekouros - tisk tisk - only 3 inches! You poor dear! :-p

• contemporganic
    13 years ago

My current plan has a 6-inch pull out on either side of the cooktop, similar to buehl's. I was thinking one can be for oils and spices and other can be baking supplies(sprinkles, vanilla, etc.)

Although, given that I am vertically challenged (5' 2"), I am thinking I should only have one as a spice pull out and keep the other as an open cab or with door to store a step stool...

Not to side track from OP, but is it overkill to have two 6" spice pullouts (not a big spice/ oil user)?? Better to use one of the two 6" spaces for step ladder?

• kathec
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I might be leaning toward something like the RAS peg board. My spices, oils, etc will all be in a countertop cab within a few inches of the range. I think it might be a better arrangement for me.

I've already designated a space in a 24" wide cabinet for all my frequently used sheets, pans, stones, etc. It's right at the prep zone, so I don't have to reach up high for them. My wheels are already turning on that storage too. It's currently a cabinet, probably the only one in my kitchen besides the pantry and uppers. I might see if DH can make it a pull out like warmfridge's (only wider)

I'm 5'2" too. I've already got a stool painted in a bright color. I'm a bit attached, so it's getting it's own parking space in the gap between the banquette seating and run of cabs.

The only things I can think of to store there are maybe utensils, hanging potholders and small sauce pans. I'm thinking the peg board will give me some flexiblity to reconfigure as I need to.

As I was examining my potholders yesterday, I realized that I'm going to need to factor the cost of new ones into the cost of that cab LOL. Mine are looking pretty shabby and several are from 1997 when I got married. I think my last oven mit died when DH left it on the still hot glass cooktop. Oy Vey, I'm glad that's outta here!

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!