Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fshine

New Cabinet Doors - European Options?

fshine
9 years ago

Hi all - I've been an active reader of the forums for ages and have finally found the need to post as I am not sure how to proceed with my situation. My home is contemporary and we purchased it several years back. The kitchen was reno'ed about ten years ago and the prior owners did a nice job and had custom cabinetry made. However, the doors are all in cherry and not the color scheme that we would like. I have done 3 or 4 Ikea kitchens with custom made doors from Semihandmade in the past, but for this project, given that the cabinets are all wood and custom sizes, I'm not sure this is an option. The main reason being that we're looking for a color palette of gray and white, which is very common amongst the European manufacturers, but is hard to find from any cabinet refacer including Semihandmade. I'm not sure I want to go down the painted path vs. some sort of laminate or veneer and am just generally confused about the best way to go about this given the complexity of retrofitting something existing including all the trim pieces, etc.

Any advice and thoughts on suppliers? I have called the likes of the Poggenpohl's and local kitchen designers and none of them will do a project like this without providing the cabinets as well.

Thanks!

Comments (11)

• homepro01
    9 years ago

Maplecraft. They have some gorgeous laminates and acrylics. The link is below. Best of luck! Their prices are reasonable and they make any size you want.

Here is a link that might be useful: Maple Craft Acrylic

• _sophiewheeler
    9 years ago

Cherry can be very modern. I'm not sure I'd downgrade that and jump on the all too common pop bandwagon of gray. It lacks the staying power of natural wood. It's like giving up Princess Grace for Anna Nicole Smith.

• fshine
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the replies. Maplecraft seems like a great option - thanks for the tip!

I looked at the cabinetry more closely and the doors and drawer faces are actually laminate or foil, while the boxes are wood. Makes me feel less guilty about changing them (and while I am sure Cherry can be a modern color, it just doesn't go with the palette in my home). Welcome any other options that may be out there!

• GreenDesigns
    9 years ago

Most Euro doors will be laminate. Or thermofoil. That's what's normal for the frameless upper end makers. The boxes are also usually maple look laminate particle board as well. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that construction. Just don't expect any wood replacements to be an "improvement". They're not.

Show us some pictures of what exists, and of your inspiration.

• fshine
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is a pic of one of the cabinet banks in the kitchen that shows the color palette pretty well.

• fshine
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is the pic of the inspiration...

• GreenDesigns
    9 years ago

I really like what's there. I do think that just changing out the countertops would work to update the look. A white marble lookalike like CambriaTorquay, or maybe a white white quartz. You're not going to get your inspiration picture without changing out a lot more than just the cabinet doors. Floors, counters, lighting, and, especially, the architecture are just wrong to be able to achieve that.

You can work with what you have to get a warm zen modern look, and it would be fabulous. Or, you can rip out the whole kitchen and start over to get the cold gray look, and spend a lot more money. Are you prepared for the extensive changes and budgetary expenditure that your inspiration demands?

• melle_sacto is hot and dry in CA Zone 9/
    9 years ago

I'm going to try and encourage you to keep the cabs and work with them, they might surprise you! What you've shown is so pretty, has a modern look/feel, and I think it can look more in line with what you're liking even though they are not white or gray.

Have you considered paint colors and countertops? Do you absolutely dislike the color, or is the contrast w/the walls and the dark of dark cabs/dark counters?

Otherwise I don't have a specific supplier recommendation; my advice would be to find a local carpenter who can make you exactly what you want to fit the custom sizes etc.

• ajc71
    9 years ago

Jdesign:

I would like more info on the doors that you are showing, I am assuming these are acrylic, so there is a banding? Or are they truly polished (or matte) lacquered?

What is the country of origin?

• jdesign_gw
    9 years ago

They are not Acrylic. They are painted.