Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Will wall mounted hood look weird w/o full backsplash?

Posted by laureng_123 (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 2, 12 at 15:27

If the wall mounted hood needs supports in back to attach it to the wall and I'm not putting in a backsplash all the way up to the hood, will the bottom back edge look weird sitting ~3/4" off the wall? If anyone has pictures of such an installation, I'd appreciate seeing them.

Thanks!!
Lauren

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Will wall mounted hood look weird w/o full backsplash?

I'm having trouble picturing the supports. Is this something that comes with the hood and is meant to mount on the wall, then the hood mounts to the supports? Because 3/4" seems like a lot of space for even a backsplash to cover.

Or is this just the blocking (plywood, usually) necessary to hang it safely?
If it's just the lumber blocking needed to hang it securely, that should all be done behind the wall, in the framing of the wall.

If this is something that has to go in front of the wall, perhaps you can have a carpenter craft a small "frame" around the back of the hood to hide the supports. You could paint it the color of the wall and it should fade away.

Can you attach a picture or a link to the hood and it's schematics?

o

Do you mean just a stainless hood?

Photobucket

Mine doesn't have any blocking; it attaches directly to the wall. I do plan to tile the wall eurosplash style though. Even if I didn't, I don't think tile would look funny near the hood.

Maybe your hood is different?

o

Sorry I really didn't do a good job of explaining my situation the first time. When installed flush against the wall, the top corner of the hood is set back almost an inch from where the cabinet trim will end. I'm attaching a picture of what it looks like now.

I am considering having the hood pulled forward an inch from the wall so that the top corner is flush with the trim. I'll have to put 1" thick wood behind the hood to mount it to the wall, but I can't figure out how that is going to look underneath the hood along the back wall. And my installer wants an extra $150 to modify it, so I'm not sure if it is worth it.

Should I leave it as is? Anyone else run into this situation?

o
Will hood look weird if not flush with front of cabinets?

I changed the subject line to be more accurate.

o

You cannot change the title of the thread once you've posted it. Your title change only applies to the individual post in which you change it.

Thanks for the further clarification. I would leave it as is. Make sure to cleanup the paint job on the sliver of drywall showing between hood and soffit. Once the whole room is done and you're not nose to nose with that area, I doubt anyone would notice.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here