Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mtimmer_gw

Silgranit color?

mtimmer
10 years ago

Hi, I'm new here, but after going through various posts to determine if we should install a cast iron or stainless steel sink, everyone here has talked me into a Silgranit sink. Now I'm hoping you can provide some advice regarding the color.

We're looking at either the biscuit, biscotti or truffle color and looking for advice on what might be easiest to keep clean and look fresh. Based on what I've read, can I assume the darker colors are the easiest? That would sure point me toward the truffle (particularly since I don't want to go darker than that.)

Based on our granite countertop choice of Crema Pearl (sold under the Sensa brand), the biscuit would be a lighter contrast, the truffle would be a darker contrast and the biscotti would be close to an even match. It's probably futile to ask for advice on such a subjective thing as color, but if anyone has any thoughts about contrasting the sink color with the granite, I'd love to hear that as well.

When I've looked at the sinks in person, I personally prefer the biscotti, but I'm also trying to think about keeping it clean and new, as well as how it may match the countertops. Thanks all!

Comments (24)

• kksmama
    10 years ago

Try to see the sinks in person if you can. I went back and forth between cinder and metallic gray, and eventually decided on cinder because I thought it would disappear/blend while the metallic gray would be prettier and draw more attention. I'm pretty happy with it, but think I'd have been happy with metallic gray too. Cinder was a little warmer than I thought. Given that you like biscotti best, and you think it would blend best, I think that is a great choice. You can only have so many elements competing for attention, maybe the sink shouldn't be one of them?

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    10 years ago

Better get used to the idea of permanent scratches in your sink, the downside to the "granite" sinks.

• sixkeys
    10 years ago

I thought that Silgranit was very durable?

Anyways, I am far from an expert but I am going with a Silgranit that blends with the countertop color.

• kksmama
    10 years ago

I did extensive testing of my Silgranit sample, and had to take a saw tooth knife to it to make a scratch - which even then rubbed out to be unnoticeable. Others have done the same.

Here is a link that might be useful: another thread on silgranit durability

• Mrs_Nyefnyef
    10 years ago

Trebruchet is wrong about Blanco Silgranit sinks, which should not be lumped in with what s/he terms "granite" sinks.

I've had two Blanco Silgranit Super Single sinks in two kitchens (in anthracite). Lots of use, traffic, pots and pans banging, careless kids. I've had no scratches. I do not know if that is the case for other brands' granite composite sinks.

I like the darkness of my Silgranit in anthracite cause it shows nothing and looks fabulous in contrast with my light granite. But you are considering lighter colors. I've seen Biscotti and Biscuit IRL. Biscotti is quite yellow; I think that'd be a harder combination. Biscuit is a creamy neutral and goes with everything.

Mtimmer - you should call Blanco's customer service, and they will mail you color chips of the colors you are interested in. You really need to see the colors in your kitchen before deciding, and also hold them up against your granite. It is not that realistic for anyone on this forum to advise you about sink color without seeing your Crema Pearl granite. Can you post a pic?

Edit in response to Heidihausfrau's comment 4 posts down: As I mentioned, I have had two Silgranit sinks in anthracite in two kitchens. Both homes had hard water. The sinks never showed spots (unlike my previous stainless sink which I'll never have again). So, my experience has been that the dark anthracite color showed nothing, not even hard water spots.

This post was edited by Mrs_Nyefnyef on Sun, Oct 13, 13 at 11:10

• dermnp
    10 years ago

I have the blanco diamond sink in biscuit and LOVE it. Super easy to clean with once a week wipe down with the magic eraser sponge. I did buy the grates for the bottom which I would suggest doing, since my kids throw knives in the sink and we wash a lot of pots & pans, it protects the sink and I like how they look too. My granite is the giallo ornamental so the biscuit matches nicely. Go with which ever color looks the best to you, I don't think any would be a "safer" choice in regards to cleaning.

• Gracie
    10 years ago

I have had Biscotti for over a year and it looks brand new. I have to remind myself to clean it with a little Bon Ami or baking soda. Never a stain and never a scratch, and I keep knives in it all day until we handwash them after dinner.

I wouldn't call Biscotti yellow, more of a light tan. I can't say I'm wild about the color, but it matched our "greige" quartz counters very well. We considered Biscuit but it looked very chalky against our warm counter.

• cookncarpenter
    10 years ago

Anthracite Silgranite for eight months of very hard use now....not a scratch, and never really need to clean, just wipe down... or I just can't see the grime?

• heidihausfrau
    10 years ago

I have biscotti. LOVE it!!! I am not gentle with it at all. Sometimes it has dirty dishes in there for 2 days, including coffee spilled all over. (never had that when it was brand new ;). To clean it, I use a little bar keepers friend and my ikea scrub brush. Most other days I just give it a rinse with water or a quick swipe with some dish soap.

I chose not to go darker, because we have really hard water and I thought the spots would drive me nuts.

This picture shows a daily shot after a rinse. Little bit of water still by the drain.

• friedajune
    10 years ago

Mtimmer - what color are your cabinets? I googled Sensa Crema Pearl, and found photos. To me, this counter is crying out for contrast, and the Silgranit anthracite would look great with the granite's black markings. Plus, anthracite won't need Magic Eraser or any of that. Of the light colors you mentioned, I am certain biscotti would not be right.

This post was edited by akchicago on Sun, Oct 13, 13 at 10:26

• friedajune
    10 years ago

Heidihausfrau - on my monitor, your sink looks like the biscuit color. The biscotti color I saw in a showroom looks much deeper like in this photo which is why I didn't think biscotti would be the best choice with the OP's counter.

• Gracie
    10 years ago

Biscotti.

• mtimmer
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow...we very much appreciate all the responses. And while I was fumbling around trying to figure how to post a picture of the granite, akchicago already did it!

If I could sum up what we think we're learning here is, that there doesn't seem to be a strong connection with color and keeping it clean and shiny, although the anthracite would probably mean we wouldn't have to use a Magic Eraser.

Re color, I know that's a hard one to give advice on, but we do appreciate everyone's thoughts. Truffle was mainly on our list since it was darker, without going too dark. That said, there doesn't seem to be a lot of truffle out there on GW (from what I can tell). We have seen the product in person, but we will definitely follow up and ask for the samples--and we will include anthracite in the batch.

This has been so helpful!

• mtimmer
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow...we very much appreciate all the responses. And while I was fumbling around trying to figure how to post a picture of the granite, akchicago already did it!

If I could sum up what we think we're learning here is, that there doesn't seem to be a strong connection with color and keeping it clean and shiny, although the anthracite would probably mean we wouldn't have to use a Magic Eraser.

Re color, I know that's a hard one to give advice on, but we do appreciate everyone's thoughts. Truffle was mainly on our list since it was darker, without going too dark. That said, there doesn't seem to be a lot of truffle out there on GW (from what I can tell). We have seen the product in person, but we will definitely follow up and ask for the samples--and we will include anthracite in the batch.

This has been so helpful!

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

I agree on the contrast - I initially was going to go with truffle and my DM said - yuck - you need some contrast - I went with Cafe brown with mine

I am over a year with mine - no scratches and easy to clean.

I think the only down side - don't drop a heavy weight into it - it could crack (per consumer report but take them with a grain)
    I think SS would dent majorly and porcelain would be toast as well.

As with anything - take a bit of care and it should take care of you - get the sink grid - I don't store it in the sink but use it when washing heavy pots as a precaution.

• Mrs_Nyefnyef
    10 years ago

Just regarding the above comment about Consumer Reports and Silgranit. I know CR indicated that the Blanco Silgranit sink was damaged when they dropped a 5-lb. weight on it from a height taller than any person. A2gemini mentioned but I want to emphasize that they did not perform that same test on a stainless steel sink, which would have dented, on enameled cast iron, which would have chipped, on fireclay, which would have cracked. But because Silgranit has not been around for the last 40 years, CR was "looking for a reason" to downgrade it. That CR kitchens issue also had a lot of errors and misconceptions about countertop materials and other things that anyone who hangs out here on the Kitchens Forum for a couple of days would know.

• alwaysfixin
    10 years ago

I have to agree with the posters recommending contrast. We have cherry cabinets, not much sunlight, Alaska White counters, and a Silgranit Super Single in anthracite. Our counters have some similarity to the OP's except the OP's granite has some red/garrnet spots. The Alaska White granite is a cream background with splotches of taupe, gray and black. I was worried that a sink in anthracite would be too dark, but it looks stunning. When deciding, I looked at the biscuit and and metallic gray colors, but they somehow detracted from our counters and looked ho-hum with the kitchen. Sorry I don't have pics. Also, so true that the anthracite sink never looks dirty.

• bookworm4321
    10 years ago

I bought a Brizio faucet that looks like a swan, and bottom half is cocoa brown. It is exact match for the Silgranit sink. Brizio s/s cocoa bronze Vuelo. The soap dispense could be mixture, or just SS (I got the latter).
    I ordered faucet in the smart touch, which the men around me will like, cuz of the cool technology.

I'm not suggesting you buy all 3 pieces, but I like the look.

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

I agree with Mrs_N
    I always take CR with a grain
    At one point, they rated bicycles and downgraded some because they were lighter - duh - anyone who rides knows that a lighter bike is generally preferred on the road....
    I just wanted to point out - to take precautions regardless of the sink material...
    I love my Silgranit sink!

• alex9179
    10 years ago

I've had a Silgranit in metallic gray for a few years. No scratches - at all. I don't have a grid and it's a workhorse in my kitchen. Durability is exceptional. We have hard water and build up does happen over time.

It does need a scrub with BKF now and then from a build up of stains. I also fill it with water, add a bit of bleach, and let it sit overnight once in a great while... 2-3 times a year.
    I think any of the lighter colors may need some extra attention now and then if coffee/tea/soda are regulars, but it's hardly a deal breaker. I usually use a touch of dishwashing soap after the evening clean-up and it looks great.

• momto3kiddos
    10 years ago

Best way is to get the color chips from silgranit and put them next to your actual granite. It was clear to me between truffle and metallic gray once I did this. I went with metallic gray and LOVE it! No stains, scratches or even hard water marks, I just wipe it down with dish soap/washcloth weekly. Also, I have the super single.... cannot say enough good things about it. I LOVE having a huge sink. With 3 kids and lots of home cooking, it is nice to have a place for dishes to hide while DW is running and emptied.

• mpagmom (SW Ohio)
    10 years ago

I agree with others that you should get the color chips to decide on color. It seems like truffle would be nice. I wouldn't go with super-contrast like anthracite.

I have anthracite and it never looks dirty, but I'm sure it is. My fastest/favorite way to clean it is to spray it with vinegar and wipe it out with a magic eraser.

I don't think the CR sink that cracked was installed, and I'm sure it makes a difference. I've heard of sinks cracking during shipping, but never after installation. Nevertheless, I got the sink grid for extra protection. I love the grid for draining pasta without the backwash and it's better for stacking dirty dishes (cutting boards can stand up vertically). Not my favorite thing to clean, but I don't clean it that often.

I also love the super single sink!

• heidihausfrau
    10 years ago

Just another vote for a super single.

And I checked with my KD--my sink is biscotti. I don't know why the color onscreen looks different than May flowers.

• mtimmer
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm calling in for the color chips today and I'll let everyone know what we decide. The single sink would be great, btw, but unfortunately it doesn't work for us since our house is sans dishwasher, so we use the large side of the sink to wash and the small side to dry.