Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
salonv

Anyone used LED Tape lights for under cab?

salonv
9 years ago

I did not put in Under cabinet lighting when I re-did my kitchen a few years ago. I would still like to do that, more for the ambiance although it could sometimes at night use a boost- I do have recessed ceiling lights and pendants over the small island so there is adequate lighting.
I have a backsplash already installed.
I am really unsure what to do. (and I am not capable of doing it myself, and don't want to spend mega$$). One contractor suggested LED tape lights. and another suggested the battery LED pucks.
Does anyone have the tape lights? I am wondering if they will provide enough light. If anyone has either please post your opinion/experience and certainly PLEASE if you can post pix. thank you!

Comments (35)

• jakuvall
    9 years ago

I use Hafele tape lights on every job. Usually the 2015 for under cabinet which are plenty bright and come in multiple color temps. There is one brighter and one lower.
    You need an outlet to plug in the driver, ideally in a cabinet. Get someone to lay it out right and you usually need only one driver.

• ck_squared
    9 years ago

We have ucl tape lights on a dimmer. Up high, there is more than enough light for tasks. Down low, they offer a nice ambiance at night.

The photo shown is before we added the 1/4" light rail to hide the lights.

This post was edited by ck_squared on Sun, Oct 26, 14 at 16:27

• salonv
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks- definitely going to have someone lay it out... I have a layout similar to Ck squirrel.
    How are the ikea ones? I googled because I thought hafele sounded like idea but it is not.

• bbstx
    9 years ago

Below is a link to a GW thread on this topic. It might have information helpful to you.

Here is a link that might be useful: UCL LED

• salonv
    Original Author
    9 years ago

very helpful bbstx thank you and ck squared I totally apologize for botching your name!!!! lol. hope you got a good laugh out of this!

• MizLizzie
    9 years ago

I have Hafele tape lights. One driver. Love them. Yes, lovely ambient light at night, and plenty for countertop work. With any LED light, choose your color carefully. Our warm lights turned our creamy yellow backsplash light green. Ugh. Recently swapped out for cool. Major color change.

• gr8daygw
    9 years ago

I used the peel and stick puck type battery lights in my laundry room:

and the peel and stick strip type in my formerly wood panel cabinets that I changed to leaded glass some time ago:

They aren't all on in this picture but they look pretty nice when they are. They only thing I don't like is that they give a sort of blue light whereas I would prefer a warmer light, but it's possible that they come in a choice. You just press on the light itself to turn on and off. I also put a couple of these in some closets that didn't have a light. Pretty handy little things, take AAA batteries. I would prefer hardwired lights but in a pinch these are fine. They do not show when standing straight on but I took the pictures a little from underneath so you can see them. Good luck!

• crcollins1_gw
    9 years ago

I also used InspiredLED. I emailed them my cabinet layout, they prepared a list with everything I needed. When I was ready to purchase, called the guy and ordered over the phone. It was here in a couple of days, with pretty simple instructions. Don't try to figure it out on your own! They were great about helping.

• ci_lantro
    9 years ago

I'm using some inexpensive LED tape light from Amazon.

HitLights High Density. Dimmable. I got the cool white; the light is definitely on the blue end of the spectrum. I prefer a white light so I may end up switching them out to a different color temp later on.

Very easy to install. Inexpensive. Satisfied with the am't of light. Would buy them again.

• marykh
    9 years ago

Be sure to try it out in varying depths of the cabinet underside (close to the wall, close to the front edge. Ours was installed by the wall and cast unattractive shadows on the dimensional tile backsplash. We'll be pulling it forward.

• ardcp
    9 years ago

i got some battery operated led puck lights from lowes and they burn out very quickly! i use them maybe 10 times for no more than 30 min a time and the batteries are dead! such a horrible pain!
    i went back to lowes and got plug in led lights called "basic bar" led light and they are great. you can daisy chain them so you only use 1 outlet for up to 3 bars (i think) they are by utilitech and well worth the $. they are also very easy to install; you just drill two little clips to hold the light bar.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

They were great about helping

Not only will they help with the layout, but when we decided on arrival and physically laying out the lights that we wanted to change the direction of one strip, he just worked with my DH to come up with the right replacement parts, and gave us a credit for the parts we had (we mailed them back).

We did install ours near the front of the cabinets. Because we don't have a light bar, and ours is a very modern kitchen, we hid the strips with Shluter trim (the type that's made for edging tile).

• tinker1121
    9 years ago

We used Quoizel tape lighting (on Amazon for $20) and best thing we found after bringing home dimmable led fixtures, ordering and returning fragile Inspire tape lighting ordered online and really impressed.

It sticks very well, is encased in a heavy type plastic like the type used for rope lighting and we installed an outlet behind the valance above the kitchnen sink to plug them in and on the other side ran the thin wire with plug up into the cabinet where the microwave plugs in.

Easy breezy, just stuck them inside the front lip of cabinet facing the backsplash and they also come with an on/off switch you can easily mount anywhere under the cabinet out of view.

Seems almost too easy and inexpensive but I spent hours online and brought others home and again, this just worked the best for us.

• tinker1121
    9 years ago

Link to the tape lighting.
    Try it and you can always send it back. Looks like a lot of glare in my photo but they are a nice warm light.
    You will see the dot of the LED on any shiney granite but I don't nice it anymore.

Here is a link that might be useful: Quoizel Q1252

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago

I also used inspiredled and was very happy. The layout totally worked. I hardwired to a switch but you can get the plug in type easily with a remote control.

I didn't get colored ones because I was REALLY into warm white (I hate blue white lights) but my husband kinda wanted the color changing ones.

Some of my counters are shiny. On these ones I mounted the lights on the bottom light rail of the cabs facing the backsplash instead of pointing straight down on the counter.

Installation was a TOTAL breeze.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

Also (just responding to something tinker said), they're really not fragile. They're not encased in anything, which makes them thinner and less obtrusive.

• hsw_sc
    9 years ago

We have the tape lights in warm white in our entertainment center and our new kitchen cabinets. Love them.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

Oh, and yes, warm light. I had the 5000s in my hallway and it looked like a hospital at night. Horrible.

• Cadyren
    9 years ago

I've been looking at the InspiredLed lights for 2 years. My problem is the smallest strip will probably be too big for 2 of my cabinets with the connectors. The Quoizel tapes look interesting, but how does it connect? Not quite understanding. Does it run in a continuous strip?

• tinker1121
    9 years ago

Springer, yes it is a continuous length and you cut it to fit. You will need a set for each section of cabinet and each needs to be plugged in.

In the pic I posted we drilled small holes in the lip where the cabinets butt each other and applied it to the front facing the backsplash. That side is one set that is flexible and fit on the corner cabinet and all the way across. It is plugged into the outlet in the cabinet by the microwave.
    On the sink side we used two sets and installed an outlet behind the valance above the sink.

Each set has it own off/on switch and must be turned on separately. The adhesive is very strong and sticks well also.

The Inspire LED site was very helpful and a good product but as someone said, the thin strips are not covered in anything so much be careful cleaning around them is all.

• Cadyren
    9 years ago

Thanks Tinker. So once you cut them, you can no longer string them together on the cut end? Did you just run the light tape through the little holes where your cabinets butt together? I was also looking at Sylvania Mosaics & that tape comes in 2 foot lengths. You can make them smaller, but someone said you cannot hook them together then even with the connectors. That set seems like you could run a connector from each one of the uncut ends (extra connectors sold separately), and use a 3 way connector, but that is a lot of extra wire. Not as nice as just stringing them together. That's what makes the inspired LEDs nice, but I have 2 really narrow cabinets, so they would probably be a problem also. The Quoizel has to be strung to the plug in one length, there are no other connectors correct? That's why you used 3 sets? Sorry for being so dense.

• tinker1121
    9 years ago

There are no connectors available with the Quoizel. At one end is the thin black wire about 3 feet long that has the plug on it so you have some leeway and start it near an outlet.

You cut the tape light to the length you need and use one continuous piece for as long as you can go. As I said, we drilled holes where the cabinets butt together and stuck the lights along the front lip and through the holes.

What I did was order a set to see how it would work out, liked it then ordered two more sets once I saw how easy it would be.

Maybe you should order some of the Inspire and a Quoizel set to see what would work best for you.

• bbtrix
    9 years ago

I also used the Hitlights that Ci_lantro used. Their website has lots of info for different ways to use the lights. I bought a roll and the connectors, power supplies, etc. and the install was a breeze. I plan to purchase more to do cove lighting above my cabs. They have sample kits so you can test the light colors.

• Cadyren
    9 years ago

Thanks. At least now I understand. Will look at Hitlights also. I was think I will order some different ones & try see what might work.

• salonv
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I was curious so we tried some tape lighting and it's funny because in day light it looks like hardly any light- I didn't think I would like it. But boy at night, it sure does shed a nice light.
    I am going to try the battery ones because the price for the labor (given that my backsplash is already in) is so much for the electric ones. I will see if the battery ones will be good as well. I know it wont be as convenient as a switch to light them all up, but money being money.... I hope tomorrow to get some lights to test with the battery ones.
    anyone use those battery ones?thanks

• westsider40
    9 years ago

salonv, take a look at october 27 post of ardcp where she posts about her negative experience with battery lights. of course, ymmv.

• salonv
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for pointing that out---- I think I had mistaken the life of the bulb for the life of the battery. I am disappointed because the battery one would be so much less $$. I am not sure now if I will spring for the under cabinet lighting. It sure looks nice, but not sure about spending the $700 or so.
    I did not get a chance to bring the battery one home to see it and how it would look anyway........ oh well.

• TxMarti
    9 years ago

tinker, is your microwave cabinet the end of your run? I need to put the plug in the middle of the counter and can't figure out if the Quoizel will work for that if there are no connectors.

• schicksal
    9 years ago

I went with LED tape, installed inside a diffuser and routed in to the bottom of the cabinets. Wires are run in a space left behind between a false bottom and the actual one. It came out great and I'll post pictures once I get home.

• _sophiewheeler
    9 years ago

Who spends $700? You can do a whole kitchen in Hafele, which is a high end, consistent high quality diode light, for around $300. Lower end lights can be had for half of that, even though they aren't as consistent in each diode's output.

• Mags438
    9 years ago

I made a lot of my kitchen selections a few years back and decided on hafele cabinet and UCL lights back then. I don't remember them being $300, but I do agree with holly that they are *really, really* nice light and great quality. I would purchase again in a heartbeat.

• Debbi Branka
    9 years ago

Holly - are the ones you refer to dimmable? We have dimmable tape lights. They were $500. We installed after-the-fact, so we had an electrician put outlets (3) above our cabinets. We also had to buy a special wall-switch for the dimmable feature (the switch was $60-70). I don't even know the cost for the electrician as he was wiring for our pendants at the same time.

We love them and use them almost all day and night. I leave them all the way dim every night. Now that I'm used to them (had them about 2 years), I find the counters are too dark to work without them. So they are on constantly.

• live_wire_oak
    9 years ago

I did my whole showroom in Hafele. Did the install myself. Simple to do. They are dimmable. You plug a dimmer controller into the driver. Simple.

Warm White lower wattage for up lighting, warm white higher wattage for under cabinet. Drivers inside corner cabinet, hidden by basket. Warm white higher voltage also hidden behind face frame of corner cabinet to light it. The electrical outlet is underneath the right side of the corner cabinet, and the occupancy sensor switches are under the corner cabinet. They aren't pretty. But, they have to be visible to detect motion.

[Traditional Wine Cellar[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-wine-cellar-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_755~s_2107) by Other Metro Kitchen & Bath Designers ProSource Memphis

Cool White, except under glass cabinets, which is warm white. Controller/dimmer to left of sink, right where the electrical outlet is that powers the install. Driver on top of cabinets. Wires run through cabinet interior, hidden by face frame. Glass cabinet tape lights hidden behind face frame to light cabinet interior. The outlet and driver for this section is on top of the wall.

[Transitional Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/transitional-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2112) by Other Metro Kitchen & Bath Designers ProSource Memphis

Warm White, dimmer controlled underneath cabinet to the left next to oven, where the power originates. Driver is in top glass cabinet, with control wire run through cabinets hidden behind face frame.

[Transitional Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/transitional-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2112) by Other Metro Kitchen & Bath Designers ProSource Memphis

• gpraceman55
    9 years ago

Here's details on our UCL install, using LED tape lights. Total cost was $161.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0620295110811.html

{{gwi:2139608}}

This post was edited by gpraceman on Mon, Nov 24, 14 at 13:03

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz