Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gwannouncements

GardenWeb needs your feedback!

gwannouncements
11 years ago

Hi everyone,

As you may have noticed, we've been sprucing up the site a bit. Among other things, we've added new ways to upload photos and email notifications of post replies. We are still cleaning out cobwebs and weeding some areas of the site, but we are also working on some bigger projects like a better search engine (yay!) and a mobile app. We'd also like to get some feedback from you. What enhancements or additions would you like to see? What do you love? What do you hate? Think big and small!

We can't promise the moon, but please know that we will read and consider every one of your ideas and suggestions. We appreciate your loyalty and dedication to our site and we know how important your community is to you. Help us make it even better!

Please use this post to offer your feedback. But, as always, you are welcome to contact me directly by clicking on my profile page.

Best regards,

Tamara Amey

GardenWeb Community Manager

Comments (60)

• sjerin
    11 years ago

And yet another plea for help finding my posts. It's very time-consuming to plow through the (incomplete) list looking for a post I started or commented on, because they move quickly. At least can we have them in chronological order?

• gwtamara
    11 years ago

Liriodendron -- and anyone else who is having an issue with the Sherwin Williams ad:

Your concerns about the ad are very important, but because I'd really like to keep this thread on-topic, would you mind doing me a favor and dropping me an email with some specific information about the problems you are having with this particular ad? Tell me which browser you are using (and the version) and your operating system (Mac, XP, Vista, etc). A brief description of what happens when the ad loads on the page would be helpful as well.

Also, just because you might post on the forum about it, doesn't always mean that we see your complaints. To get an immediate response about any issue, please email us using the 'Contact Us' link found at the bottom of every page. Or, you can email me directly using the link found on my profile page.

Thanks very much.

And, the suggestions you've all been making have been terrific. Keep 'em coming!

Tamara

Here is a link that might be useful: Contact Us link

• bcafe
    11 years ago

A way to go to the first unread comment in a thread would be great! The really long threads take a long time to scroll through, trying to remember where you left off.

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Thanks for making this a fun and educational site - my kitchen is so much better - even if I was late in joining!

• lalithar
    11 years ago

1) Some indicator of profiles for the users shown in the post itself would be great.. things like member since 19XX, Favorite forumXX.

2) Ability to "like" users, posts. Some "favorite" post indicator for posts that a lot of people like.

3)Ability mark threads/ users as spam.. This will allow users to help with the site management

4) Identify users representing vendors as supplier vendors (people like Trevor, M.tex, Rachiele sinks etc.)

5) The gallery section is completely useless now. We have one of the members doing a GW Finished kitchens gallery.. It would be great if it is on the site.

• soibean
    11 years ago

ditto on finding your own posts
    ditto on making it easy to add multiple pictures to a single post

Also, similar to what someone else said, have an easy way to skip to the end of a thread. It's especially difficult and annoying to have to scroll through an entire thread on a mobile device just to see the latest post.

• rosie
    11 years ago

Hi, Tamara.

1. I really see very little flaming and would prefer a quiet little link at the bottom of a thread, not one right up top like a political forum. Keep it gracious.

2. Ability to edit our own posts. Open-ended. If that would be a problem, an auto notation that editing has occurred would be preferable to locking them.

3. Super simple picture posting with some extra, desirable functions. Would it be possible to move pictures around, overlapping and underlapping, making larger and smaller? If so, people coming to design forums would have a WHOLE lot of fun with that. Anything that would allow designing on site would enhance the forum. Ability to store on our GardenWeb page.

4. Ability to navigate a long thread more easily, including jumping to our own posts.

• deedles
    11 years ago

I'd like to be able to have a record of posts I've made without searching. Or an easy way to search for them, as stated above.

Ditto a2gemini's comment, I think it's a great site... thanks!

• gr8daygw
    11 years ago

1. being able to edit or delete your post as in how many posts are showing up three times in a thread lately.

2. be able to like a post. That would save a lot of posts saying just that!

3. this is a great website and extremely helpful due to the people who post here and give their time and experiences freely. Thanks to all.

• mjher1
    11 years ago

In some other forums, when you hover over the title, you can see the first line or so to know what the subject really is. Some of the subject lines are confusing here.

• bellsmom
    11 years ago

I have come to love GW.
    I do find one thing I would LOVE to be able to do.

I wish I could easily search for threads STARTED by a given individual, not just all threads that that individual has contributed to.

Thanks again for making it work more smoothly.

Sandra

• marcolo
    11 years ago

Agree that we should be able to find threads that we ourselves started, as well as those started by others.

I'm hating the liking. HATING it. Someone said upthread that kind of thing is more in tune with political forums where people are trying to win or score points or amass mojo. We don't need that here.

I also agree with limited-time editing and an edit stamp.

And this:
    I am not sure I like the new ability to post on old threads.

It's OK to post on old threads, but probably not to bump up conversations that are more than a year old. People don't look at the date stamps, and suddenly every other front page post is talking to dead people. Most of the bump-ups come from spammers, confused newbies whose timely questions will now be overlooked, and from well-meaning souls who think the discussion is "good to read," like your boss who thinks that every meeting is "good to attend."

• beekeeperswife
    11 years ago

I would like to see on the front page of each forum not only the who and when the thread was started, but who posted and what time was the last post. It might make it easier than remembering what post number you left off on a thread.

Also, when you do improve the search engine (yipee), can you do a partial search for a member's name? there are so many people who are "Mary42231" that you might only remember "Mary" and not all her follow up numbers.

thanks!

• CEFreeman
    11 years ago

This isn't annoying and trite Facebook and that "like" thing irritates me because this isn't a popularity contest. And I hope it doesn't become one. The ability to track a user's contributions if you enjoy their outlook is another thing.
    I think "follow" would be less offensive. To me.
    Other boards, for YEARS have had the ability to edit messages. And I'm talking more than 15 years. There is no reason whatsoever that we can't have that here. OTOH, what Women.com became after iVillage took over (I was a PAID mod there on 4 different boards) would very much cause me to leave Gardenweb, despite my 2004 membership.
    Better searching.
    Searching for ME (Another years' old ability)
    A spam button -- but with moderator approval. Too many people, particularly newbies are too quick with that. Remember when everyone new with a computer, who had NO idea what they were doing, but called their own ignorance and (current) incompetence a "virus"?

Stop the darned problem that comes up with "system error" (or something like that) which makes people think their post is lost, so the reenter, reenter, reenter (stop me) and we end up with a zillion dupes. Frankly, some of these people should have figured that out by now, but equally frankly, this is a stupid, unnecessary system failure. Of all the changes you call improvements, get back to basics and fix the simple functions that make a board work.

bee, you can do a partial search. Just type in "Mary" and weed through 20 years of Mary posts.

Can you at least figure out how many of these really ANNOYING ads are earning you money and GET RID of the ones that don't? I, for one, won't buy a single thing from a pop-up or mouse-over. I'm not funding things that interfere with my browsing. It's bad enough this site is so laden with ad trackers it takes forever to load. Show a little concern with your members vs. ad money.

BTW. I appreciate how quickly you got rid of that bottom banner ad that prevented us from even seeing what we were typing in. That was just plain ridiculous and should never have been implemented. I hope you fired the nit-wit who doesn't use the boards, who thought of this. And I mean that with loving kindness. Ok. Not even a little bit.

• Rainwood
    11 years ago

My top three would be 1) limited time editing; 2) better searching; and 3) easy way to post multiple photos without having to link to a photo hosting site (I don't use one).

• oldbat2be
    11 years ago

It would be lovely to be able to know when the OP adds to a post (vs. anyone else). Also would love to be able to get to the end of the post via a link at the top (takes forever on an ipad to scroll down). Thanks!

• localeater
    11 years ago

Let me say that I love GW and am very happy that I found it. I get such helpful information and advice, I get inspired to try new things with the confidence that my GW friends will help me out if I attempt something new.
    I really think it would be helpful to be able to find threads started by someone specific. Changing the label on the initial post from "posted by" to "originated by" would enable people to do this via a Google search.
    I think it would be great to find my own posts, differentiated by ones I started, I think this actually belongs on my member page under a heading like "My recent threads" "My recent posts".
    Along the same lines, when I start a thread it would be nice to be able to clip the post right then and there.
    I do think a moderated spam reporting feature would be beneficial.
    When you pull up a post a few post navigating features would be nice; jump to bottom, jump to my last post, jump to originator's last post, jump to image. Similarly if you are posting a message it would be nice to be able to "jump to top", "jump to OP's last post" "jump to last image"
    Until the image file upload is modified to allow multiple images to be added, please display text that says "if adding more than one photo .......". People who don't know how to add photos are adding many posts each with one photo which is not helpful.
    The ability for the poster to resize, move and rotate photos within the post would be spectacular.
    Next to a users name in a post, it would be nice to see something like "member since 2004'
    Thanks again for the great site, and for soliciting our opinions.

• deegw
    11 years ago

I'd like the ability to easily quote a prior post in my response.

The ability to block or hide a user's posts. It's not a big issue in the kitchen forum but might come in handy in some of the more controversial forums.

The ability to get search results in either threads or individual posts.

As mentioned many times, I would also love limited editing and deleting.

• drewem
    11 years ago

I also do not like the ads on the site. When you first come to the page, you have to wait for the ad up top (currently target clothes) to drop down. Then you have to wait for it to pop back up. If you don't, then when you go to click on kitchens, the text moves, and you end up some where else. It is annoying. I do have Norton 360, but it doesn't block everything. That chip it to win it ad, is also annoying. It pops up at random times, but first makes the screen different, so you know it is coming.

I also second the idea of knowing when the OP has posted in the thread.

• mpagmom (SW Ohio)
    11 years ago

1. Upload multiple pictures. Then we wouldn't have to depend on external sites - often people move around or delete pictures on the external site and they are lost in the thread.

2. I know this is asking for the moon, but a "like" button would be great. Then you could show your support for a post without actually posting.

3. Limiting a thread to 150 posts is random and probably not necessary.

I like the recent improvements and look forward to more!

• debrak_2008
    11 years ago

Have a complete sticky for new visitors so we don't have to have another "new to Kitchens" thread maintained.

Ditto Ability to upload multiple photos.

Ditto better searching.

• kai615
    11 years ago

"I am not sure I like the new ability to post on old threads."

I agree with marcolo, I like that people can still post, but maybe not get bumped to the top of the thread. I just got great advice on refinishing a floor from a thread added onto slowly over 4 years. It is great that that info is all in one thread.

I would also like to see a bit of general info if people are willing to give it in a profile. What type of home, square footage, rual/suburban/city, area of the country. I often find myself wondering when given or reading advice where it is coming from and what their experience is. What is normal in New England is not normal in LA.

Also, I love the site, it is great and even better that you are trying to move forward.

• chiefy
    11 years ago

Mine are repeats, but you'll know multiple people want the same thing!

- name/time of the last person who contributed to a thread
    - "flag" threads of interest
    - jump to the last unread message in a thread
    - designation that you've already commented in a thread

• doc8404
    11 years ago

Other than the good suggestions upsteam, I only have this:

Just a nit - Please have your software gurus make the appropriate changes to have GW identify each of us accurately as a man or woman for advertising purposes.

I honestly do not need products from Poise or need to be invited to "a new conversation about menopause".

I've had enough conversations with menopausal women to last a lifetime thank you very much. :)

Doc

• annettacm
    11 years ago

I actually have no problem with a "like" button or an "agree" button. I get tired sometimes of scanning down a thread that has everyone saying, 'I agree with XYZ"... lots of posts that could be simplified by "liking" the person who said "xyz" to begin with. Plus, most of the time, I agree with xyz, but don't want to have my own personal post saying so.

• hobokenkitchen
    11 years ago

Adding my vote to several already mentioned.

Ability to post multiple pictures

Better search functionality

Ability to edit posts

Ability to quote a specific comment

Thank you for this forum - it reallty is invaluable.

• gr8daygw
    11 years ago

Well, I like the likes. What I don't like is a million posts that all say the same thing, if you could like a post that supports exactly what you think and you add your like to it then I believe it supports the person's either question or opinion. I have never thought of it as a political thing and certainly not as a popularity contest. I've always thought of it as supportive and way to save tons of storage space in a domain. BTW, I'm not on FB. If you don't want to call it likes then call it something else at least people know their thread was looked at and if they are putting up different pictures you can just tick the one you like instead of wasting space and saying the same thing over and over which takes too much time to read through if all it says is something like "ditto" or "I agree" that sort of thing.

• catkin
    11 years ago

Bring Spike back.

• onedogedie
    11 years ago

"Hurray! I'm for the other team." I don't mind old posts getting bumped to the top. In fact I like it. Some people are bothered when new posters don't realize it is an old post, so maybe find a way to indicate the Past Due status.

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

Y'all are gonna think I'm a wackadoodle, but I like this site soooooo much better than the couple of others I sometimes frequent (One is a Disneyland board for planning our trip to DL. I'm here now!!!) so I have the following reactions to the previous suggestions:

1. I do NOT want the "like" feature. I am not posting for a popularity contest. I don't care if you like me or not, but dislike seeing silly thumbs-up or thumbs-down on so many discussion sites. It DOES turn into a popularity contest. If you agree with what 99 other posters have said and don't want to actually post yourself with your agreement, then just don't post. Move on.

2. I do NOT want avatars, signature lines, location info, join date, etc to identify posters. Seeing sites with those items in different colors, fonts, quotations everywhere, pics, emoticons with waving arms jumping up and down give me headache. I do NOT need to know these things to get help planning my kitchen.

Example: in researching DL, I ran across the DISboards site. Visually, it was a huge turnoff for me for those reasons I just mentioned. I couldn't get past the WAY the info was presented to FIND all the useful stuff so I clicked off. It looks amateur and silly. Fast forward a few months to me asking over in Home Dec for DL rec's and the DISboard site was mentioned as the best place for research. I sucked it up and tried the site again because I was desperate to plan our trip. Its a wealth of info, but every night when I click away and back to GW I breath a sigh of relief for the simplicity here.

3. Being able to quote someone leads to far too much over-quoting, which in turn leads to very long threads, leading to lots and lots and lots of scrolling through repetitiveness to find only a sentence or two as the only new addition. DISboards do this, and I dislike it.

GW changing to using items in my #1-3 above would cause me to leave GW.

4. The ability to edit can get confusing. A handful of people comment on an OP only to find the OP goes back to change a bit of info? I've seen editing get out of hand. Yes, it would be great to correct your glaring spelling error, but how to draw the line?

5. Advancing the search function would be helpful to search by poster, etc.

6. Being able to find the last posts on a thread since you last read it would be helpful, especially with very long threads.

I had other comments, but now I'm exhausted so I must sleep before an early alarm for Disneyland!! First trip for the kids. I gave into the greedy corporate monster. ;)

• plllog
    11 years ago

I agree with a lot of what Breezy said.

One thing that makes this site better than many others is that we don't have much of a culture of "read the archives". Because the old threads slide down, we answer the same questions over and over, but in different ways, often linking good old threads, but always addressing the newbie with the old question. That's what makes it dynamic, and constantly fresh. Therefore, I'd hate to see a more organized thread system.

Agreed on hating the liking thing, but it would be nice if particularly helpful or amusing threads could get voted into a kind of hall of fame (or **gasp** archive) to be read through at later dates, rather than just hoping that someone still has a copy or link.

What I'd most like to see is a way to mark threads one is following, and maybe even members one is following (to see all of that member's new posts). It's so easy to lose a project one has been interested in.

Also, bulletin board code in the messages would prevent bad code in a message from flowing out and screwing up the pages.

My other request would be to have a way to open a thread but toggle off loading the images. Doing it at the browser level is too clumsy to be useful, and some picture heavy threads just aren't worth opening because of the loading times, even though there's good text to be read. Even better would be if recents are recognized, to be able to toggle to just recent images.

• idrive65
    11 years ago

There isn't much that bothers me about the GW forums. I like the simplicity.

One thing I really love about them is the ability to see an entire thread without hitting "next page" dozens of times.

I don't care for blinky, photo-heavy avatar pictures and signatures that take up inches of scroll space.

Also don't need 300 ways to make a cartoon smiley face.

Would like the ability to follow a particular thread or poster.

Would like to be able to see the thread when I am previewing a post. Sometimes there is something else I want to address, and I have to open another window to look at the thread again.

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

I definitely agree with Breezy's main points. Don't fix what ain't broken.

• kai615
    11 years ago

Let me clarify my wish of info. When I say I would like to know a little general info about people IF they want to give it, I don't mean it has to be given in every thread, next to every comment, like Facebook. It seems we all have "home" pages that contain very very little info. It makes me wonder why it is there. I assume that this could be branched out to contain a little basic info, maybe even links or photos to finished rooms or works in progress- again, IF people want to share. I am not talking avatars with waving arms.

• marcolo
    11 years ago

Glad plllog weighed in. She's noted before that despite some obviously-needed tweaks, GW's archaic nature is part of what makes it work.

The webs is full of forums with all of the features requested, and
    many more. In many of them, your experience includes
    - Viewing a front page where all the threads started in 2002, each one having at least 1,797 posts
    - Opening the thread that seems closest to your question
    - Suffering an epileptic seizure from reverse blinking video avatars
    - Trying to page through mile-long flame wars where people fight over uprating or downrating
    - Finally identifying a conversation that dates from this decade
    - Rereading the same post seventy five times, each time it is quoted in full, then requoted in full, then re-requoted in full, every time someone responds
    - Posting your question
    - Getting no attention whatsoever
    - Posting a new thread to get some attention
    - Being told, "READ THE EXISTING THREADS!"
    - High-tailing it out of there

No, thanks.

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

Posted by marcolo (My Page) on Fri, Oct 19, 12 at 14:29
    Glad plllog weighed in. She's noted before that despite some obviously-needed tweaks, GW's archaic nature is part of what makes it work.
    The webs is full of forums with all of the features requested, and
    many more. In many of them, your experience includes
    - Viewing a front page where all the threads started in 2002, each one having at least 1,797 posts
    - Opening the thread that seems closest to your question
    - Suffering an epileptic seizure from reverse blinking video avatars
    - Trying to page through mile-long flame wars where people fight over uprating or downrating
    - Finally identifying a conversation that dates from this decade
    - Rereading the same post seventy five times, each time it is quoted in full, then requoted in full, then re-requoted in full, every time someone responds
    - Posting your question
    - Getting no attention whatsoever
    - Posting a new thread to get some attention
    - Being told, "READ THE EXISTING THREADS!"
    - High-tailing it out of there

No, thanks.

That's exactly right, Marcolo! I agree!

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

ROLFLSHIC!!!!!!! Angie--that's EXACTLY what I was talking about last night!! It's ridiculous, if you ask me. That's what turns me off of the DIS Disneyland board. If I was on that board, I'd quote what Angie said and add a "thanks!" at the bottom with more waving arm smiley face icons! ;)

Off to enjoy World of Color!

• Alice Johannen
    11 years ago

I'm not on GW as often as others, but just today reading through these comments, I found myself wishing I could "like" certain ones that I agreed with. I can see how it could become a popularity war, but still, it is annoying to read through a bunch of posts that simply agree with so-and-so, and then have to go back and try to find what so-and-so said. What about having functionality that allows you to respond to someone's comments, i.e., comment on a comment. That can get confusing but at least then if someone has a grand idea that others want to elaborate on, it is all in one place.

I completely agree about being able to post pictures perhaps from your own PC instead of having to put them somewhere online first. Way too many times I've been dying to see what someone posted (yes, maybe 2 years ago), but the image has been moved and is no longer available.

I would love to be able to go to a person's profile and find three things: (a) threads they started; (b) pictures they posted; (c) threads they participated in. I say this because there have been some folks whose style is so similar to mine, or whose kitchen is just like what I'm trying to do, or who has given me (and others) such great advice ... I would love to be able to find their comments easily.

• chris11895
    11 years ago

1) Ability to edit a post.
    2) Ability to attach multiple pictures.
    3) Spellcheck
    4) Ablity for OP to mark their question as "answered" so people don't keep replying to someone who doesn't want more feedback.
    5) Usability testing opportunity for people on the site before you roll out a bunch of changes.
    6) How about a polling feature? So if you want to ask "which tile do you like better?" people can just vote on it.

• TxMarti
    11 years ago

It seems most of of agree that a better search engine is #1. I was just doing a search for a photo someone once posted and while I got a lot of hits, I had to open each one to see if they had photos. You can add that to my wish list.

• TxMarti
    11 years ago

And after posting that last one, I have another wish.

Eliminate the preview screen, but have an optional preview button for those who want it. And put us back into the forum instead of taking us to a screen where we have to click back into the forum after posting.

• iroll_gw
    11 years ago

Another vote for having a list of one's own postings; your profile page would be a good place, and is currently underused anyway.

It would also be helpful to have the USENET protocol of the choice between collapsing and expanding threads, wherein you can see the names of all posters to a particular thread and the dates of each of their posts (but you'd have to click on the name to read what they posted). This is another way of "following" posters whose comments you are particularly interested in.

Yes to a better search feature; Google currently works better than GW's.

Yes to previews appearing at the end of the thread.

No's to liking, quoting and signature files.

• steph2000
    11 years ago

I would like my account to have lists that I could reference, including:
    a) threads started by me
    b) threads I have commented on
    c) threads/comments that I have "starred" without adding to my clippings

I would like an improved search engine.

And, I would love a way to easily upload photos directly into the thread. Not sure if that is possible, though, or it creates privacy issues when done from a home PC.

Otherwise, I agree. Keep it simple.

• ae2ga
    11 years ago

There are a number of good suggestions here, but the thing I would like most is to be able to just go to the next thread without having to return to the front page. A next post button would be excellent.

I am also confused by the clipping. Posts that I've clipped int he past seem to disappear with the thread. Not sure what's happening with that.

• dixieman
    11 years ago

I've wished for the ability to limit search results to posts with pictures.
    Provide for a link to "my kitchen" so people can find the kitchens associated with GWers more easily (If GWer wants to post the link)
    Ability to add tags to photos so I can search for pictures tagged with a certain brand name or image (stainless, single bowl sink)
    I do like the thumbs up or down option - easier than simply repeating comments
    Perhaps a voting button option - for folks who simply want to get/give voting feedback
    Option to follow threads/notified when thread is updated either by anyone or by OP

Thanks for asking.

• Brent B
    11 years ago

Yes, a good search engine would be great.

Please keep the site jewlery to a minimum, I come here for facts and offer help, I don't need nor want glitz.
    For example, some people on some other sites where I used to post, get carried away with number of posts (or credits) to wear like some sort of badge. Then, a frenzy starts and posters post just to increase their post number.

In addition, I have to sign in most every visit to this site, and I've never received a notice of response to my post when I was the OP.

Thanks for the good job you've all done to the site.

• jenswrens
    11 years ago

A real archive. So that we don't have to do an advanced google search to find old threads that have fallen off.

A real archive. Because sometimes even google doesn't work for old threads. Some disappear forever. I'd like to be able to find threads from 2006, 2008, etc.

A real archive. Available through the GW site.

But please don't change the look of GW. It is clean with great white space, and easy to read. So many other forums out there have a UI that is small and cluttered and ugly. I'd hate to see my beloved GW turn into one of those.

• chiefy
    11 years ago

Ooh, dixieman makes a good point. Maybe adding a POLL feature? So many times people here are asked to vote on OPtion A, B, or C, having a poll feature would help that tremendously. People would still be able to comment to add additional feedback.

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

Yes, Jenswrens!! It's the white space that I love! The site might look plain, simple, and old-fashioned compared to many forum sites nowadays, but that's what makes it easy to read and to navigate.

Please, please, please don't change the white space!

• gwannouncements
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi everyone!

You asked and we listened. Today we are very excited to be debuting our newest feature -- post editing! To use this feature, go back to the post you wish to correct and you'll find the link under the 'My Clippings' links on the right side of the page.

I want to give a special shout out to all the testers who tried to break the editing tool. ;) Your feedback was insightful and invaluable. Thank you!

You may have also noticed that we adjusted the login cookie awhile back so that you should not have to login repeatedly.

Stay tuned -- we have more cool things in the works!

As always, please let us know if you have any questions or concerns.

Best regards,
    Tamara

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz