Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lainer105

WANTED-Backsplash ideas

lainer105
11 years ago

These are the countertops for our new kitchen...arabescato quartzite. SS appliances. Backsplash thoughts were: mosaic stone tile in either pencil shape or squares in a variagated dark grey/slate coloring. Please send all thoughts and ideas this way...thanks so much!

Comments (16)

• remodelfla
    11 years ago

I would pick a soft smokey taupe glass based on how the color of the veining is coming through on my monitor. Gorgeous stone!

• ellendi
    11 years ago

What color are your cabinets? When the counters are in you will get a better idea of wha direction you want to go in.

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

Sweet stone!

• Susan
    11 years ago

gorgeous stone--what was the question?

• eam44
    11 years ago

What feel do you want in your space, do you want to add color, and what is your budget?

Sure, you could do something like this

but there are so many other more contemporary options. A variation on the same theme in glass might be stunning

Have you considered using something more composed,since your stone movement is so large and free-form?

You could also add some visual texture while keeping the shape simple with a glass metallic leaf tile like the one here.

• Ivan I
    11 years ago

EAM44, I love the bottom 2 - so unique.

• eam44
    11 years ago

Thanks - they're both from Artistic Tile.

Here is a link that might be useful: Artistic

• drewem
    11 years ago

I've also chosen Arabescato White Quartzite for my counters! I'm interested in what you are choosing for bs. We haven't gotten to that point yet, the house is just getting ready for framing now. Good luck!

• drewem
    11 years ago

I was wondering, is your Arabescato honed or polished? Were you able to get a sample of it and test it? Thanks

• lainer105
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It is polished. Yes, we have a sample, but I do not know what you mean by test it? Please explain

• drewem
    11 years ago

I meant for etching, or staining.

I wanted ours to be polished also, but the place where the builder gets the granite can only get it honed. The choice I can get polished is Super White, but I like the look of the Arabescato better.

• lainer105
    Original Author
    11 years ago

They had both there, but we liked the polished better. We we told that it holds up better than granite. I didn't hear anything negative regarding the staining factor. I'm not too worried about staining since I tend to clean things up immediately. Is there something that you know that I don't about this stone????

• drewem
    11 years ago

I posted a thread a little while ago asking about quartzites, and found a few people have been having issues with etching/staining. I haven't been able to get a sample to test it out for myself, and was just wondering if you were able to. I tend to clean things up right away also, but we currently have formica.

Good luck in your bs search! I'm leaning towards a marble subway,with an accent by the range (Artistic tile, Chrysanthemum Calacatta Gold With Mother of Pearl) But who knows. It will all change when the counters/cabinets etc are all in place.

• Madeline616
    11 years ago

Hi Lainer105,

Awesome slab!!!

I have Vermont Olympian Danby, similar look, and I went with Sonoma Tilemakers Arched Herringbone in Blanco. I love it. I'd recommend checking out the Sonoma Tilemakers collection, it's amazing, a lot of really beautiful and unique selections.

I had to be careful--and you might also find this-- when selecting, b/c many whites looked yellow against my slabs, and many light greys and even very soft greens read as very greyish compared with the slabs.

Ann Sacks also has a cool glass tile that's a little iridescent. GW member I_am_fletcher used it in "Ice" for the b-splash in a kitchen with counters, finishes similar to yours.

My b-splash:

• Madeline616
    11 years ago

Here's the Ann Sacks Glace tile, from Christopher Peacock's kitchen:

• wolfgang80
    11 years ago

Can you use slabs of that same quartzite for the backsplash? I can't imagine something being nicer than that.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!