Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please help confirm my fridge selection

Posted by phillyfeet (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 14, 13 at 15:17

My original designs included a 42 inch fridge, but after looking at the choices, I realized i'd prefer a 36 inch bottom freezer. One of my main concerns being, if the 42 inch needs to be replaced someday, it will be harder to find a replacement than finding a 36 inch.
So now that i am in the 36 inch category, to maximize budget and fridge space, I was thinking of getting the 72 inch tall Jenn-Air counter depth fridge. But since again it seems like appliances aren't built to last anymore and i plan to be in the kitchen for the next 40 years (!), should i not be going for the taller fridge? Would it be easier to replace if i went with a more "standard" height fridge or having that extra space at the top may help in the long run?
Oh and as an aside, would i be able to put a TV above the taller fridge (standard 8 foot ceilings)
I am asking this in the kitchen forum and not appliance forum because i thought this is more a design question rather than a question regarding the actual appliance performance.
Any help would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please help confirm my fridge selection

I have a 70 inch fridge with 8' ceilings and I would not enjoy watching TV above it.
I think you will see more and more streaming devices over TVs in the kitchen in the future. Also - the newer flat screen TVs are so thin, they could pop on almost any wall space.
You also lose great storage for vertical items that need a deep space.
I did see one cool idea - I can't remember who it was but they put an onyx frame around the TV on a wall.
Others can comment on fridge sizes - I bought mine before I even heard about giant fridges and re-used it with my remodel (Elux)

o

my frige (arrived today) is GE Cafe, over 70". If I had stayed with CD, I liked the Jennair too. Hard to decide between those and Elux. Final choice came down to how one used the frige.

I added the picture to show the narrow space above, which is too high for a TV. Excuse the fact that frige is wrapped and not yet pushed back (needs water line).

o

Thanks for the photo, it helped a lot. Btw, you have a very pretty cabinet color. I was hoping to put tv there because I thought it wouldn't be a spot for frequently used items and the seating is on opposite end of kitchen so everyone could see it. But now I can see that the space jyst isn't tall enough to fit a tv.

o

there is about 2' above that space, but would be extremely awkward to see from below .

thanks for the compliment on maple cabinets. I think I am the only one on GW to use maple (with brown glaze). They are definitely not a trend.

o

Sorry, duplicate post

This post was edited by phillyfeet on Mon, Oct 14, 13 at 20:44

o

Bookworm - lovely picture and lovely cabinets.
Philly - I think you came to the right conclusion - Let us know what you figure out as it might help someone else along the way.

o

When I was looking for a fridge this summer, I considered the Jenn-Air but they seem to have a lot of negative reviews. That said, every model of every fridge has a negative review somewhere. Ask for Jenn-Air owners to weigh in in the title of a new post, or do a google search for Gardenweb and Jenn-Air to see if there are older threads that might be instructive.

I would consider the cd 42" Kitchen Aid. Good luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here