Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anube

Farmhouse Sink Install Trouble

anube
9 years ago

We are in the final stretch of our kitchen remodel and had our sink installed over the weekend. We are scheduled to have the countertop template done this week and hit a snag while talking to the fabricator.

We are doing a 2cm Ceaserstone (this is what is readily available in California) with 5/8" plywood underneath and a standard eased 1.5" edge. Our fabricator is saying that the sink needs to be the same height as the plywood and they need to raise the sink to do so. If we do this we then have to do some kind of molding or drip ledge which we didn't want. I asked about doing the 1.5" all the way around the sink and they said they could do this by doubling the counter (4cm) but they don't recommend it as the hot/cold water can cause it to eventually separate. So I turn to the experts here, any suggestions on what we can do? Is it likely the countertop will have issues if we don't raise it?

Here is a picture of the sink as is:

Thanks!

Comments (9)

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

The sink needs to be raised. I would also move it a bit forward.

• Terri_PacNW
    9 years ago

I'm planning an apron/farmhouse sink too, and everything I've read it's level with the cabinet top. I am a little confused how they are supposed to finish the edge beside the sink too. How is the counter going to be level on the little bitty edge?

• dcward89
    9 years ago

Our apron front sink was installed as an undermount. The sink specs indicated it should be installed completely level to the cabinet tops, front to back and side to side. The counter then is installed on top with no shimming necessary. If the sink is lower than the countertops, you will have a large gap to fill with sealant to prevent any water from getting into where the sink and countertop meet...large gap is not good. You want the bottom of the countertops to sit right on top of the top of the sink. The sink needs to be raised and I agree with Errant that it also needs to be pulled forward a little bit. It looks like there is not enough room behind the sink to install your faucet...could be just the perspective of the pic though.

• anube
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you so much for the feedback. I'm going to ask about a 3cm, they said last time they couldn't get it anytime soon.

As hollysprings has it, that is my understanding as well, it has to be level with the plywood substrate if you use plywood, if no plywood, it can be level with the cabinet top.

In the photo, the open space is the dishwasher and then more cabinets, we don't have the plywood on yet as we were trying to figure out what to do. We are so close to be doing done, it is frustrating to hit this bump but thank you all for your help!

• GreenDesigns
    9 years ago

Or, you can do 2 cm without a plywood subtop, and with no edge buildup. You may need to do solid tops interior to the cabinets, but that's one solution that works. It gives you a more modern, Euro look.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

It won't be difficult to bring the sink up to plywood level. Maybe you can have the fabricator do a drip edge with leftover counter material.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

Leave the sink flush with the cabinet tops, but pull it forward a bit if you prefer. There is no reason they can't laminate the sink cut out when they laminate the edges. Insist that they use epoxy, not polyester, and that edge will stay laminated after a nuclear attack, let alone some sink splash.

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago

We had a different situation but ended up with a little piece of molding to even out some counter heights. It bothered me to no end to think of that molding having to go in there but now I don't notice it, don't think of it, and it has made zero difference to the look of the kitchen. So if you had to go to let's say a drip rail you might not mind it at the end of the day.