Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
coleen3201118

Pretty much finished kitchen...

coleen3201118
16 years ago

I am as close to done as I will probably be for a while... This was a kitchen/family room addition/remodel. I'm still thinking about window treatments, but we're going to have to live with it for a while before I make any commitments - then again, I may leave them as is. As is the case with so many others on the GW, NOT ONE of my decisions was made without the input of everyone here. I'm really happy with the way everything turned out. Our whole family is really enjoying the space. Hopefully, this link to the photos works.

http://s243.photobucket.com/albums/ff215/coleenmills/

Comments (44)

• rmlanza
    16 years ago

Wow, really beautiful! Can you give us the details? And FWIW, unless it's a privacy issue, I wouldn't add window treatments...I love the openess of those big windows! I'll post your clicky link.

Here is a link that might be useful: coleens GORGEOUS new kitchen!

• glad
    16 years ago

lovely kitchen; very crisp/fresh looking!

• rosie
    16 years ago

I love it! Especially that wonderful open counter with all the windows instead of cabinets. The dark counter grounds it very nicely. What a light and pretty place you've created for yourselves. Happy cooking.

• cat_mom
    16 years ago

Oh Coleen--it came out great! Your Capitol range looks right at home in your beautiful kitchen!

I vote for no window treatments if you can get away with it, too. Gorgeous window and view--don't cover them if you don't have to.

• mindstorm
    16 years ago

Oh wow! Simply lovely. This absolutely must have universal appeal. Gorgeous. And I agree, no window treatments. Not even that frilly thing on top that some folks put up - I don't know what they're called. Congratulations on completion - it looks amazing. But details would be nice!

• remodelqueen
    16 years ago

Wow!! Just gorgeous. Very close to what I want in my own kitchen. Great job!

• soigne
    16 years ago

Love it! I have many similar elements in mine, but yours is bigger and has the awesome windows and range.

• malhgold
    16 years ago

Looks fantastic. Your layout is very similar to what I'm "thinking" about doing. LOL!!! Haven't nailed it down in the 9 months I've been working on it. Congratulations!!

• raehelen
    16 years ago

Really well done!

I've added a pic of your backsplash to my idea's file- what an effective way to add detail without overpowering!

• coleen3201118
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the nice comments, everyone! I'm glad there are votes for no window treatments, because that was my initial reaction. You can, however, watch TV from our back yard!

Here's the details:

Cabinets: Omega/Dynasty - Williamsburg - Oyster Maple and Brookside Square cherry Nutmeg antiqued
    Counters: soapstone and honed carrara marble
    Range: 48" Capital with griddle
    Hood - VentaHood
    Refrigerator - Thermador built in 42"
    Microwave - Sharp 30" drawer
    Sink: Franke pro (prep sink is Elkay); Ladylux plus faucets
    Backsplash - Sonoma tile

I think that's everything. So far I'm really happy with all the appliances. Knock on wood!

• athomewith3
    16 years ago

Just one word..........GORGEOUS!!!! Your whole home is beautiful. Enjoy......

• oofasis
    16 years ago

What a wonderful kitchen! Your bank of windows is just perfect -- don't add anything to them! Your cabinets and your beautiful counters are gorgeous. Great details in the spaces - I love it.

• rileydog
    16 years ago

Congrats on some great planning! It is beautiful all put together. Enjoy the view out of your lovely bank of windows. Consider it to be a piece of art ~ realism art! Hope you have many happy gatherings around your wonderful island.

• lmhall2000
    16 years ago

Absolutely beautiful!!!! I love it!! I really am turning green about your pantry cabinets opposite your eating nook...You'll have sooo much storage!!! How do you like your lady faucet? I have the same one and wonder if it's going to splash alot when I turn it on...mine's not hooked in yet...what a beautiful job!!!
    Tara

• dianalo
    16 years ago

Hey,
    This kitchen has such balance and grace. I would love to cook in it and just admire it as well.

I agree 100% about not putting in window treatments unless there is a privacy issue. It is a beautiful view and the natural light must be fabulous.

I bet it took a lot of work and planning, but the result is relaxed and serene. It is the right amount of pretty and function and would make any guest feel welcome.

Bravo!

• deegw
    16 years ago

I have been on these forums since 2001 and I have to say that your kitchen is one of my absolute favorites. It's wonderful and I'm completely jealous!

• malhgold
    16 years ago

Curious as to how much space you have on either side of your range? Is it enough for you?

• coleen3201118
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks again everyone for your kind words. I was really trying to think of one decision I made without the input of this forum and I couldn't think of one! Although also because of this forum, the wallet is a lot lighter!

lmhall - I like the ladylux plus - it splashes some, but really only when I turn it on full blast!it's tough to remember there is a stream between nothing and everything. It has really great reach too. The sink is 9" deep, which is plenty deep for me (I'm 5'5").

malhgold - I have 18" of counter to the left of the range and probably 30 or so to the right (although it's more shallow b/c of toaster oven and cabinet in the corner) but it's plenty of space. I guess it depends on your perspective - my old kitchen had I think 18" at the most, so this is more counter space than I ever dreamed of. It's really nice because now my 2 kids can help make cookies without fighting for space!

• seascrapper
    16 years ago

Beautiful! OK now I want your backsplash instead of mine! Love it. I agree- no window treatments. You did a great job!

• theresab1
    16 years ago

it looks fabulous! wow what a great job- love it. I have kept my kitchen windows open with no window coverings and like the look. Enjoy!

• kitchenkelly
    16 years ago

Colleen, That is such a lovely kitchen. You did an amazing job. LOVE the backsplash and I am so envious of all those windows.

Congrats!

• catbird
    16 years ago

Beautiful!! No wonder you're enjoying it. We have large sliding windows like yours in our breakfast area. When I get around to it ;-) I'll make some fabric Roman shades mounted on the sheetrock above the windows (not inside the window frame) so as not to cover up any of the windows. That way we can have privacy at night and cover up the black holes the windows turn into at night, yet still have unencumbered windows during the day. Your problem with window treatments may be stuff splashing from the sink, but you could just leave them up a little way when you're using the sink. If you google "Roman shades" or "make Roman shades" you'll find places to order or directions to make them if you're interested.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to make Roman Shades

• marthavila
    16 years ago

Ditto to all the words of praise and congratulations above. Marvelous kitchen! Wonderful kitchen! Ya done good!

• vicnsb
    16 years ago

Wow it turned out perfect!
    Your Capital range looks awesome..(you have inspired
    me to go Capital).

Keep the windows free, it looks great!

• julier1234
    16 years ago

Coleen - stunning!! I adore the backsplash and the counters. I agree about skipping the window treatments. You don't need them - your view is lovely. The soapstone is a perfect complement to the marble. Wow - just wow.

As a fellow Capital owner, of course, I think it looks bee-u-tiful!

• malhgold
    16 years ago

I was wondering if you could tell me the dimensions of the range wall and the sink wall? Thanks so much.

• antiquesilver
    16 years ago

Drop dead gorgeous! It's one of the VERY few kitchens I've seen that makes me wish I'd done some things differently.

I'm in the minority that says to go for a window treatment. I would consider a simple, tailored "eyebrow" (never can remember the correct name), perfectly proportioned to the windows in a dark shade complementing your paint color, maybe with a small pattern. Or Not - it's perfect either way!
    Hester

• coleen3201118
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I truly appreciate all the nice things everyone has said; only GWers really know what goes into this! Forgot to mention the Monogram fridge drawers in the island (that were a Godsend while we were waiting on the built in!)Oh and the old Kenmore Elite DW that stayed from the previous kitchen - although as soon as it kicks, I'll be replacing with one that's quieter (not that it's so bad, but it's in the same room as the TV, so...)

vicnsb - I'm happy you decided to go Capital! I really love it. It's wonderful to cook on. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

malhgold - I have to amend what I told you earlier - the counter to the left of the range is 24", not 18" and to the right, it's 52" (I don't know what I was thinking!)
    THe dimensions you asked about are: the range wall is 10 feet; the sink wall (to the fridge) is 17 feet.

I think I might need a window treatment in the breakfast area (along with cushions for the bench) but I'm leaning towards leaving the large window as is. Only problem is morning sun for those eating at the island. I'll put off any decisions on that for as long as possible!

• dmoh
    16 years ago

Wow! Just beautiful. Quick question, where did you get that rectangular (or is it square?) pedestal table for your banquette area? I keep finding round ones & I'd really like a square or rectangle to better fit my banquette space.

Thanks,
    dmoh

• coleen3201118
    Original Author
    16 years ago

dmoh - the table was custom made - we got extra stain from the cabinet guy so it would match. I looked everywhere for a table before we had to resort to that but there weren't any to be had. Ii did later come across a website for an Amish company that made tables in different sizes, but I think they were oval. We definitely needed the pedestal for ease of access.

• sagni
    16 years ago

Great Kitchen--almost exactly what I want for mine. I showed your photos to husband to get him to relax with my crazy choices. I love the soapstone--where did you get it? Do you love it?

• dmoh
    16 years ago

That's what I was afraid of :( It's a gorgeous table. I too have looked just about everywhere for a square and/or rectangle pedestal, without much luck. More and more it seems like we'll need to go the custom route ourselves. Oh well.

Thanks so much for replying so quickly. That's what I love about this board. Enjoy your gorgeous kitchen!

dmoh

• brutuses
    16 years ago

coleen, absolutely gorgeous. Does anyone sit anywhere else in the house besides those stools looking out into the yard? Wow, those windows are something else. You talk about cooking and cleaning not being a chore. In that kitchen everything would be a joy!

Did you mention your wall paint color? Sorry, if I missed it.

Great job!!

• debsinthepink
    16 years ago

Coleen, I found your kitchen! Thank you for the direction. All I can say is wow! This is pretty much exactly what I want. I spend hours checking out all the great kitchens @ the "Finished Kitchens" blog. See the link below (you really should be posted there) I find some great ideas there but when I try to explain what I liked to my DH and all he sees is the big picture not the stone or the expance of open counters. Ya know what I mean? Then, low and behold I found one picture of your kitchen here @ the Kitchen Forum "the Soapstone-needs a coordinating countertop for" link and Eureka, he gets it! Thank you!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Finished Kitchens Blog

• sleepydrj
    16 years ago

bump!
    I love your kitchen!

• starpooh
    16 years ago

May I archive your kitchen in the Finished Kitchens Blog? If so please submit the FKB Category Checklist. Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Finished Kitchen Category Checklist

• coleen3201118
    Original Author
    16 years ago

starpooh - I submitted the form a couple of days ago. Thanks!

• houseful
    16 years ago

Not sure how I missed this the first time around. That is one gorgeous kitchen! I'm shocked because my floorplan is almost identical to yours - from the placement of the banquette and appliances right down to the posts coming down onto the island. I've seen pics of posts like that in magazines, but seeing yours really helps solidify my idea. Yours is much more elegant than mine will be, but I'm still excited! Beautiful job, Coleen!

• coleen3201118
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks - I like it even more now that we've been living in it for a couple of months now - and am finally comfortable with where everything is. We were going to put some mouldings on the columns to make them appear more "finished" but we nixed the idea - they would have just looked too busy. I prefer the cleaner line.

brutuses - it was a while ago and I'm sorry I forgot to answer your question - the paint is BM "Weekend Getaway" (where do they come up with these names, anyway?)

• starpooh
    16 years ago

Thanks Coleen! Your kitchen is now in the FKB.

Here is a link that might be useful: Coleen's kitchen in the FKB

• creekylis
    16 years ago

That is a really great space. Congratulations on a job well done.

• huango
    16 years ago

Coleen: I keep returning to your kitchen. That settles it: your kitchen is now my inspiration kitchen.
    That picture of the whole wall of window pushed me to re-design my layout so I can have a wall of windows also.

I hope you can help answer a few questions:
    - if you didnÂt have your island sink, would it feel like your main sink is too far from the range? (because I canÂt fit a sink into my island)
    - do you get South sun through those windows? I donÂt intend to put up any window treatments either; we have plenty of privacy. Does it get too warm in the summer (IÂm in the NorthEast)?
    - how do you think your kitchen would look/feel if you went completely opposite in terms of color: meaning DARK cabinets, but lighter counter-tops, and a light color island? (weÂre doing espresso color cabinets, like celticmoon, and thinking of a contrasting island)
    - what kind of flooring is that beautiful floor?
    - where did you put your trash cabinet?

I am sorry for so many questions.
    Thank you VERY much for your help,
    Amanda

• shannonk
    16 years ago

I absolutely love your kitchen and have actually looked at most of those appliances and those actual cabinets. I am wondering about the soapstone maintenance. If it stains or is hard to maintain?

• coleen3201118
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, Amanda and Shannon for your nice words! We are really enjoying our new kitchen.

Re: the prep sink - I never had one before, so I actually had to "train" myself to use it. I was always going tothe main sink and slowly I've started using the prep sink more. I think even if I didn't have it. I wouldn't feel the main sink is too far from the range. It's really only like two steps.

The kitchen gets morning sun - it's shining in there now. I don't recall it being too warm in the summer - it wasn't really done until fall - but then we'd just put on the A/C.

THe floor is just white oak and the trash is in the pullout right next to the sink. THAT, I love - we used to have a can out in the middle of the floor. I do wish we had a foot pedal on it, though.

I think the kitchen would be fine with the oppposite color scheme; I love our cherry/marble on the island and I think the dark would be great on the perimeter. I just happen to be a white cabinet person.

Shannon - the soapstone is just terrific. THere's a reason why so many people are "stoners" here on these forums. It doesn't stain at all and as far as the maintenance is concerned, all you do is oil it (I use a beeswax oil, which is like a paste) every once in a while. I don't consider it a chore AT ALL, it's very therapeutic for me, in fact.

Hope I answered your questions!