Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Typhoon Bordeaux granite is in!!!

Posted by robinfromphila (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 14, 08 at 15:11

Finally, after months of trying to agree on a granite, we chose typhoon bordeaux. It was installed today. In person it is not as dark as it appears in the first photo. I love it!! Backsplash ideas welcome...
From Kitchen progress
From Kitchen progress
From Kitchen progress

Here is a link that might be useful: more photos

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Typhoon Bordeaux granite is in!!!

Wow! that is a gorgeous piece of stone you have!!! Love it, and it works so well with your cabinets, very pretty. You must be elated!

o

Awesome!

o

Oh WOW! I was not a big fan of granite, and you just changed my mind. It is simply beautiful.

o

LOVE IT! Kinda reminds me of Yellow River which I also love. Now for a backsplash.... now I admit I'm partial to the color, but... I'd love it with a soft blueish gray glass subway. Something to bring out that color in the stone.It would also add some contrast and a cool color balance to all the wonderful warm neutrals you have in there. Something like this?

Though I have to say that contrary to what I said about a contrast... this might look great too if you like glass!

>

o

That's beautiful! I swear this looks just the granite we chose for our kitchen except ours is called "Golden Caramel". So glad to see it in an actual kitchen. The granite company emailed us a photo (I, of course, forgot my camera the day we chose our slabs...). I wish I could figure out how to post the photo...

o

christen, if you open a photobucket account you can import your emailed pic to site. Then you copy the html code and just paste it into your forum message. It'll first appear as code but when you submit the picture will appear.

o

christen7, I practiced here yesterday.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to insert a pic?

o

WOW!!! Your granite looks YUMMY...like the caramel sauce they dribble over the whipped cream at Starbucks. It goes so well with the warm color of your cabinets. Congratulations, you must be thrilled to be able to look at that beautiful rock every day!

o

Thanks remodelfla!! Here goes...

Photobucket

o

*Love* the granite!!! It's just warm and lovely and stunning all at the same time, especially with your cabinets!

Very nice choice. :-)

o

remodelfla, where did you see those tiles?

o

someone on this forum had posted about them and I bookmarked it.

Here is a link that might be useful: tile source

o

I agree, beautiful piece of stone. Can't really advise about the backsplash, except to say that I would keep it simple and let the granite take center stage.

o

You have one gorgeous hunk of stone! So, so pretty! Your kitchen is turning out beeeuuuuteeeeeful!

o

Yeah another Typhoon Bordeaux kitchen! I am still obsessed with mine several weeks after it was installed. I often find myself affectionately stroking the granite. We went with a simple off white subway tile with a crackle glaze for the backsplash. I didn't want anything to draw attention away from my fabulous granite. Enjoy yours--it looks fantastic. Here is a link to some pictures of our backsplash.

Here is a link that might be useful: Backsplash photos

o

Thanks, paigeysmom. If you look up my later posts, my elation has faded, since the the fabricator/installers put a different curve on our upper island than what we had chosen. We are waiting to hear back from them (we withheld our final payment, and they still haven't returned our calls!!).
I still am in love with the Typhoon Bordeaux, though, and hope we can rectify this situation.
They did an all around sloppy job - seams are very rough to the touch, over hangs are greater than they should have been, etc.- but we can live with everything except the big error - which we may have to anyway:(.
We also have the Electrolux range - it does stick out a bit, but not more than we expected, and so far we do really like it - how's the GE cafe? That was our other choice.
PS, my DD's are 11 and 12 and did the same with our boxes!

Here is a link that might be useful: http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg1008462528860.html?13

o

Robin,
Beautiful kitchen! I also just installed Typhoon Bordeaux. I was wondering...did you choose your backsplash yet? Any ideas to share?
Thanks
Melanie1121

o

Hi Melanie,
Still mulling that one over!! (We move pretty slowly). Tomorrow, the granite co. is coming back to replace the top level of the island - they had not followed our measurements when they came to template, refused to come and re-template, went ahead and used their own measurements - it's costing us a bit extra to have it re-done - but less than a lawsuit. After that is completed, then it's on to backsplash - I would love to know what you are considering.
Robin

o

It beatiful ,you couldn,t have made a better pick with your cabinets.

o

Hi robin,
Which backsplash to pick..that is the question!
My kitchen is similar to yours. I have Cherry Pecan cabinets with Typhoon Bordeaux counters. I've been to several tile places and have had some good advice from the Garden Web.
My thread on the subject: http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg1118100213573.html?22

So far I brought home three types of subway tile:
1. A beige-like brushed and polished marble Botticino (recommended by Bill from the Garden web).
2. A porcelain cream colored tile which faintly resembles marble without all of the inconsistencies and maintenance.
3. A bisquit (off white) crackle subway tile. Photos below:

1.beige-like brushed and polished marble Botticino (bottom four tiles on the black board)
Photobucket

2.porcelain cream colored tile (daytime photo)
Photobucket

Same tile as above (porcelain), nightime photo (tile looks darker at night):
Photobucket

3.bisquit (off white) crackle (sideways because the board wouldn't fit underneath the cabinet). Disregard the darker tile:
Photobucket

I like all three however my concern is that the marbles may be too busy looking once installed, and the crackle tile may look too plain and will not "marry" the cabinet with the counter.

Atill undecided. What are you leaning towards for your kitchen?
Sincerely,
Melanie1121

o

I like either of the top 2 photos - they have nice color and depth. The porcelain tile has a nice look at night too!

o

Robin,

Good luck with resolving your granite issue. The stone you chose is gorgeous. I'm also finding myself drawn to Typhoon Bordeaux (and Delicatus, and Silver and Gold and Golden Beach . . . this is going to be a difficult choice . . .)

Do you mind sharing which granite co. you worked with? I'm also in the Phila. area and am selecting my granite co. in the next few days. I've been out to European Marble and Stone in the Trooper/West Norriton area and Marblecrafters in Boothwyn/Chester.

Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here