Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best caulk for backsplash(limestone) / countertop(granite) joint?

Posted by mratner (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 20, 11 at 15:08

In their infinite wisdom, the contractors who were putting in the limestone tile backsplash used the same (sanded) grout for the inner corner joint with the granite countertop.
That grout is now falling out, presumably because it is not designed to bond to granite.
I read somewhere yesterday that they should have used caulk instead of grout - is that correct? In your experience, what is the best material to use for such a joint? Specific product names would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best caulk for backsplash(limestone) / countertop(granite) jo

The best caulk to use is the sanded caulk that matches the grout that they used from the same manufacturer. Caulk should be applied at any change of plane, such as the corners and where the tile meets the counters. Apply a thin bead of that after you scrape all of the grout out of the joint. Never apply caulk over the grout.

o
RE: Best caulk for backsplash(limestone) / countertop(granite) jo

Home Depot has a pretty good selection its not with caulk its with the grout, usually. Look at the big ends of the tube usually some has smeared and dried, there you can get a good idea of the final color. You should be able to get something that will go nicely. To keep it from smearing into the grout on the wall i put a strip of blue painters tape along the wall about 1/8 " away from the joint. I prefer thinner caulk lines you could go a little further away if you wanted a wider line.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here