Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
baileyandbella_gw

My $2,500 black and white kitchen...finally!

baileyandbella
13 years ago

We are 99% done....still have some touch up paint to do, some moldings and we only have one glass cabinet door up...there was a small crisis....LOL

Here are the pics and I will add the details this afternoon. We are thrilled with our cottage kitchen

Before....

.....and after

Comments (30)

• hsw_sc
    13 years ago

It looks great! Very pretty!

How do you like your Kraus sink?

• chris45ny
    13 years ago

It's very pretty and you did it for $2500!!!! I normally don't go for painted over wood but in your case it really looks so much better. Can't believe how many changes you made with your budget. Details please.

I'm assuming you used your existing cabinets and just jazzed them up. Was it hard to cut out the middle to put in the glass?? How did you do that?? Could you offer some details on that process?? Thanks.

• hilarymontville
    13 years ago

It's just beautiful, enjoy it! I love the drawer front detail - nice touch.

• baileyandbella
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Details

Granite counters... Black Pearl $1900

Cabinets...I painted myself with Cabinet Coat, color BM White Dove

Sink....Kraus from Faucet Direct $200

Faucet...Delta Leland eBay $100

Knobs...black matte rope design eBay $1.00 each

Glass for cabinets $65 each

Shelf above window...Michaels Craft store $15

Other small shelf... Goodwill $3 (both shelves painted with cabinet paint)

Beadboard backsplash...Graham and Brown wallpaper painted with cabinet paint $30

Island...Ikea (from Craigslist) Painted and stained myself $100

Ooops...I forgot to factor in paint and supplies. Probably $100-$200.

• kitchenaddict
    13 years ago

Hi bandb..

It looks fresh and pretty...Such a new look for such a small amount of money..I would be proud of myself if I were you!

KA:)

• jakabedy
    13 years ago

Very nice job on a small budget!

• honeychurch
    13 years ago

I think it's awesome you painted those cabinets by yourself--you are much stronger than I am to take that on!

I like your shelf near the sink and your little bell too!

:-)

• atd_oc
    13 years ago

The before photos didn't show. But, the after are beautiful!
    You sure did quite a bit for not much money; a little bit of paint does wonders.
    I had to go back to find the bell. How cute, a dinner bell.

• flwrs_n_co
    13 years ago

I wish we could see the before pics, but you certainly have a happily ever after ending!!! Very nice transformation!! I love the island and the granite! The valance is cute and I love your shelves. Enjoy!!

• plllog
    13 years ago

It looks great! Your island table came out beautifully.

• rookie_2010
    13 years ago

It looks beautiful! Congratulations! I love the way the floor and butcher block add so much warmth to the black and white scheme. The island table looks gorgeous, well done!!!!!

• Gena Hooper
    13 years ago

Beautiful! I love what you were able to accomplish on a tight budget. Warm, with lovely touches. Congratulations!

• baileyandbella
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I fixed the pictures.

Yes, I love my sink, especially the grids. One draw back is it takes forever to fill it up, it's like a bathtub....LOL. The water spots are a bummer, but I guess that is normal with SS.

Abut the glass cabinets. I called a glass shop and they recommended a cabinet maker to router out the wood, then after that, I took the cabinets to the glass shop. Removing the wood panel was $50 each and the glass was only $15!

• Happyladi
    13 years ago

I like it very much! Sometimes a black and white kitchen can look cold but yours is warm and inviting. You did a great job.

Tell us more about the cabinet painting. I'm considering doing my laundry room cabinets.

• dianalo
    13 years ago

The funny thing is that one of my favorite changes is your Goodwill shelf and the curtain nearby ;) Your black and white came out warm because you did not forget to put in the charm.

The kitchen really looks like a new but homey kitchen. I even like how you did the bb top (and color) to tie in the floor as well. I bet you get a lot of joy seeing and working in it!

• shelayne
    13 years ago

Oh B&B, that looks so light and bright and so very charming! Don't you just love it?

I also have black and white gingham in my design. I absolutely LOVE that look, and it is just perfect in your bright kitchen! How do you like the Graham & Brown wallpaper? Was it easy to put up? It looks great!

What an amazing job you did! Major kudos to you!

• baileyandbella
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I LOVE gingham, too. I have had that valance for about 10 years. It's part of a set of 4 I bought at a garage sale, it's THICK Waverly.....all 4 were only $1.00 :)

The beadboard wallpaper is awesome! It's dimensional, you can feel the grooves. I saw the stuff at Lowes and it was junk, IMO. I just washed the wall and then used wallpaper paste, super easy. Then I painted it with the Cabinet Coat paint. I just need to add some molding where it meets the granite.

I am glad my kitchen looks warm, that is one thing that freaked me out when I first started painting. On the top of my cabs, I added some twigs and hydrangeas and that helped warm it up, too.

• baileyandbella
    Original Author
    13 years ago

~~Painting tips~~

Products used

Zinsser 123 Bulls-eye primer

Liquid sandpaper (for crown molding at the top of cabinets)

Cabinet Coat paint

BM High density 4" foam roller

Purdy small angle "Cub" brush

Sandpaper

TSP substitute

Tack Cloth

Heavy duty paper plates

I set up our ping pong table in the garage, this worked AWESOME! I layed each door on upside paper plates, this lifted them enough that I could paint the edges. You can see in the picture.

I wiped each door with the TSP, then lightly sand, tackcloth, then prime.

I did not sand between coats. I waited 8 hours before second coat of CC paint.

My doors are recessed, so I painted the inside edge with the brush first, then the rest was all done with the foam roller. I painted one half of a door first the other half. It would look all funky and stipply, but dried smooth and beautiful! Cabinet Coat is awesome paint. I would check back on each door about 5 minutes after I did it. If I saw any drips, I touched it up very gently.

I hung them back up after 24 hours.

Hope this helps.....

My "home away from home" for 3 weeks in the garage....LOL This was after the coat of primer.

• baileyandbella
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Bumping for happyladi.....

• noellabelle
    13 years ago

Beautiful Job! Your kitchen looks amazing!!!

• susanlynn2012
    13 years ago

I love the udpated look and the BM White Dove paint on your kitchen cabinets. Thanks for letting me know the primer and paint you used. I wish I had full doors like you do that don't have the frame showing so my cabinets could look as nice as yours. I love the new counters also. I also love the knobs and can't believe that you spent so little making me think that is the way to go with the knobs. Thanks again for sharing. Enjoy your beautiful updated kitchen!

• baileyandbella
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks!

• amck2
    13 years ago

Kitchens like yours, revived and refreshed with more elbow grease than dollars, are my favorites on this forum.

Very nicely done - Enjoy!

• sabjimata
    13 years ago

Nice transformation! Normally not a fan of the valance, but it works so well here, tying it all in. Enjoy your clean new kitchen!

• doraville
    13 years ago

Great job! And even better a small budget! You must be very proud of your great work.

• kathec
    13 years ago

Great job! It looks wonderful. I bet you love going in there everyday.

It reminds me on a kitchen I saw in a magazine. The Fall 2009 issue of Kitchens from the editors of Romantic Homes, Victorian Homes and Cottages and Bungalows. It was the cover kitchen.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchens magazine special issue

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

There's lots to like in this remake. Imagination and vision were very important, but so were serendipity and ... discipline. Congrats, BaileyandBella!

Am delighted to learn about routing out center of an existing cabinet door and how easily it worked for you.

The "Modest and Quirky" thread filled up, but there was a second installment begun recently. I'm sure that readers would love a posting that links to this page, hint hint. Having a modest model is so very important in helping us keep perspective and work within our means and our good sense. --F.

• rhondamom3
    13 years ago

Baileyandbella! It looks awesome! I love the dark countertop with the white cabs. Looks amazing! Do you want to spend your whole day in there cooking now?!?! LOL

• breezygirl
    13 years ago

What a transformation! Congratulations on a great looking kitchen. Just goes to show you what a little paint and some freshening up can do. Enjoy it!

• baileyandbella
    Original Author
    13 years ago

>>>> The "Modest and Quirky" thread filled up, but there was a second installment begun recently. I'm sure that readers would love a posting that links to this page, hint hint. Is that a thread on this kitchen board? I haven't seen it.