Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bath ? Steel tub

Posted by ineffablespace (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 31, 13 at 15:06

I have to use an inexpensive steel tub in a small bathroom unless I change the door from 28" to 24" (allowable where I live) and squeeze down the tub--toilet floorspace to near minimum, because no one makes a small alcove tub in anything but enameled steel anymore. American Standard just discontinued its okay enameled steel tub, and now I am pretty much limited to something that would be put in a trailer.

While this bathroom is in a basement and the tub/shower will only get heavy rotation while other house renovations are going on, I don't want it to be cheap feeling. (Long term it's going to be the family powder room and tub used as a utility item mostly)

I would put a cast iron tub in if Kohler still made one this size, though but nobody makes anything that is both small and good quality at the same time anymore. On the other hand I don't want to use Duravit with applied flanges for the alcove and get really expensive and tricky either.

Would it work to use Dynamat for sound attenuation and insulation on the back or would this be pointless.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bath ? Steel tub

What size do you need? And did you know there's a Bathrooms forum here?

Here is a link that might be useful: bathrooms forum

o

27" wide. (Bootz, Duravit, Kaldewei and Kohler Soissons: drop-in 28", $1100, and specifically not for alcove installation per Kohler)

The bathroom forum is rather slow, thanks though.

o

Have you considered a claw foot?? We found a 4.5' clawfoot on craigslist that was in near perfect condition. We removed the exterior paint, painted it all white (alabaster to match). Got it for $70!! The tub seems wider than a narrow drop in. Its cast iron which was something I was looking for.

Jen

o

I know this would be an option, but it's not really good for the situation, which is mostly going to be showers. There are a number of reasons why it can't be just a shower though.

I have noticed that many many houses in the neighborhood who have renovated the older bathrooms no longer have a bathtub anywhere in the house, because there is not enough room to put a 60 x 32 tub in most of them. These are small houses that had narrowish, 48"-54" long tubs or the square Princess or Mayflower tubs, most of which are no longer made, so they are replaced by showers. I am going to juggling space and taking a bit out of a bedroom to get at least one full sized tub space upstairs.

I am surprised that nobody really caters to the smallish urban house or apartment anymore, they still exist. Of course the New houses on my block are 3x the size and 4x the price of mine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here