Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mommy2nk

Kitchen Renovation Ideas?

mommy2nk
11 years ago

I came on here a year ago just before we moved into our house. We were looking into redoing the kitchen but decided to hold off until we lived in it for a bit. We are now ready to move forward with a Kitchen Renovation plus new carpet and flooring throughout the whole house. I am very excited to update the kitchen but would like some input on a few things. This is a new cabinet, new appliance, new counter kitchen upgrade. There will not be anything major done like moving walls, windows (new sliding door though) etc. There are are a few outlets and things that will need to be changed but really it is more of a facelift. We will not be getting a counter depth fridge. I know that design wise it would look better but I need the fridge space. Hubby doesn't want to have a second fridge. So, the fridge is going to stick out. It has for the last year and I don't really mind. The fridge I will be getting is French door and is about .50-.75" bigger in depth (with handles). We considered recessing the wall but stairs are on the other side. The soffets can not be removed, they have plumbing from upstairs, and venting. I am attaching pictures, I don't have graph paper but I did draw out dimensions of my layout. Minus the island you will see in the picture.

This is an eat in kitchen. We do have a dining room but never use it. My husband wants to have the table attached to the island but I want it a stand alone. We will be replacing the island in the middle. Making it a bit smaller width wise and it will not have the bar level. It will be built in. It currently has a pony wall and electricity. I am wanting to remove the wall and just integrate the outlets in the cabinets. It is very important the area functions as our family eating area. I use the island as my prep area over the other counters. I thought we could make the island longer and have seats around it but my kids are 6 and 5. I don't think it would be comfortable. This is where the idea to step down the island to a table height is being considered. I just don't know what would be better, stationary island seating (table height) or just a regular table.

We will be getting a new sliding glass door and the opening will be opposite of what it is now. I know last year a few people thought the table would get in the way of the path, but we have lived with a table there for a year. It hasn't bothered us at all but none the less will we will switch the opening

I am generally the only cook in the house but we entertain a lot and the kitchen/family room is our gathering place. My kitchen does become busy during those times.

I will be getting the NXR 36" Range, a range hood, apron front sink, new dishwasher and new fridge. I have a pantry to the left of the fridge, so I don't need pantry cabinets.

I am wanting more deep depth drawers on the bottom.

I need ideas for the whole kitchen with regards to it looking nice but functional. I would love input on some ideas for the fridge side of the kitchen. The cabinets over the fridge or just useless, I can not reach them. Thought of maybe building out the soffet over the fridge and then stepping back over the other cabinets but I don't know. The microwave will be moving to the fridge side.I would really just love some input, ideas in general to make my kitchen work.One last thing, this will be a white kitchen..

Thanks so much!

Pictures: (sorry for the messy kitchen, I polished my fridge after seeing them..haha!)

{{gwi:1963832}}

{{gwi:1963833}} {{gwi:1963834}} {{gwi:1963835}} {{gwi:1963836}} {{gwi:1963837}}

Comments (4)

• beekeeperswife
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

What's behind the wall with the fridge? A lot of people have scooched the fridge back into the wall cavity behind the fridge to gain a little room. Even if you have to just cut out the drywall on the kitchen side, remove the studs and push it back. That alone has helped out in a lot of kitchens.

You can get cabinets for over the fridge that will come all the way out to the front of the fridge.

Also, have you considered a 1 level island? It will give you a lot more room to work. A lot of people also use wood for their island, add seating on 3 sides at the end and use that as their only family/daily dining spot.

Have you looked at the Finished Kitchens Blog? Check it out and look for some ideas. See what appeals to you. Also look on Houzz.

Can't wait to see your project start!

Bee

• mommy2nk
    Original Author
    11 years ago

beekeeperswife, your first kitchen is saved in my dream kitchen ideas and your new kitchen is just amazing to me!!
    There are stairs on the other side of that wall. We thought there would still be some room so we made a hole in the wall to see. We had someone peek and he didn't think it would be possible. There is some sort of backing that makes him think it has more to do with the stair support. So, that is out. I was thinking of doing the 1 level island but I read a post on here that made me reconsider. It basically pointed out that while your sitting down to dinner you are also sitting down next to the prep area mess. I know generally I prepare dinner and clean up afterwards. The other thing the post pointed out was that the island might be less of a intimate family area. I am not sure how comfortable it would be for the kids to not be able to touch the floor either. So I am really up in the air about it. I have looked at the FK Blog often. There is much that appeals to me look wise. I think I just need some help with the aspect of the island as well as optimal functionality of the kitchen (organization etc.)..
    Thanks so much!

• camphappy
    11 years ago

I would have a builder check out the space behind the refrig. We moved ours back into the wall. It only added about 3 inches but makes all the difference - well worth it. Our outlet and water hookup behind the refrig was placed in the upper cab.

Our cabinets over the refrig come all the way out to the front of the refrig. It truly looks built in but it is actually one of those behemoth french door ones.

I doubt your kids would have a problem climbing up into counter height chairs. Our chairs have a wood piece toward the bottom you can rest your feet on. I love to have family sit at the same level where I'm working.
    Maybe you can get in the habit of taking the prep clean-up items over to the sink once finished. The meal serving dishes would just stay at the counter with you. I know I am learning to work differently in my kitchen than I have in the past.
    On the other hand, my friend has a table that is attached to her island. It is "T" shaped with the island being the top of the "T". She loves the design and prefers to sit at table height.

• dennyloren
    10 years ago

Well as you have deleted those images its difficult to judge your kitchen, but even we have recently renovated our kitchen installing maple kitchen cabinets and it looks awesome now.