Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
does thicker granite mean shorter cabinets?

Posted by michoumonster (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 27, 12 at 15:05

Hi all,
i want a mitered edge for my granite. i love the thick slab look and was thinking 2 inches would be nice. Does that mean I should order my cabinets to be shorter than standard? will this affect how the dishwasher or range line up? my head is spinning with all the details! thanks for any advice!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: does thicker granite mean shorter cabinets?

2" is not that thick. Mine is 2.5"

I have seen 3.5" mitered edge in person and what appears to be thicker in pictures.

My range and dishwasher have adustments to raise or lower appliance. Not sure if all do though.

In the install specifications my appliance gave a range the countertop height could be.

o

HOw tall are you guys? For someone super short like me the height difference would impact comfort level. If you're taller... it may actually work better for you. All depends.

o

It's a backsplash issue not a cabinet one. Shouldn't be a problem

o

It's a backsplash issue not a cabinet one. Shouldn't be a problem

o

Standard base is 34.5" + 2" granite is 36.5. That is 1/2" taller than normal. For code (many places) the wall cabinets to the side of the range must be 18" above above counter height. SO you can live with it all raised 1/2" if your tall. OR cut down the base cabinets by 1/2" if not- at worst you end up with 3-1/2" toe space- or do custom.

o

thanks everyone! i guess i can order the standard height cabinets then. I am on the short side at 5'2, but i would think an inch or two wouldn't bother me.
i just checked the specs for my range and dishwasher and it looks like it is ok.
thank you, one less thing to worry about!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here