Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
muskokascp_gw

Vote for your favorite quartzite slab

muskokascp
12 years ago

My stone yard is expecting two different shipments of white macabus (quartzite). Woot woot!!

I have white cabinets and will be using the quartzite on both the counter run and backsplash. The backsplash is only 6", because the windows come to this level, and it will also go behind the cooktop and range hood. I have a large island that will have soapstone on it.

Which slab to choose...decisions decisions!! The slabs are arriving several weeks apart and will be scooped up quick so I won't have a chance to compare then side by side.

Voters vote now :)

Slab 1

Slab 2

Comments (34)

• MIssyV
    12 years ago

first one!

• badgergal
    12 years ago

My vote is for slab 1. I like the movement in that one.

• mmhmmgood
    12 years ago

Both are lovely! Without knowing what your soapstone is like I'll vote for slab #1, but #2 would might pair better with my soapstone so it might depend on the combo. Pretty quartzite!

• bahacca
    12 years ago

Another vote for 1

• davidro1
    12 years ago

there is potential for greatness in slab 2.

In slab 1 the two counter runs might cut through the center squiggles in a way that reduces their visual impact instead of enhancing it.

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

Hey!!!! How great to see progress for you! This is exciting! You've been very patient.

My vote is easy. #1 wins hands down. Not a fan of the linear movement in the second one. Can't wait to see it installed!

• suzanne_sl
    12 years ago

I prefer 1 also. Lovely stuff!

• Cloud Swift
    12 years ago

Definitely 1. I like that the veining is more consistent throughout the slab. 2 has straightish thin veins running right to left and then mostly one other more varied vein running across so I don't think it will look as nice as 1 when cut into counters. With slab 1, all the counters will have some nice veins.

• bigjim24
    12 years ago

"OOOh pick me, pick me!" says #1, "#2 is too linear and I am gorgeous."

• chiefy
    12 years ago

Slab #1 - assuming you can get those gorgeous horizontal veins to actually be prominent on your countertop and not hidden in the back. I'm not a fan of the vertical runs in the second slab.

• westtoeast
    12 years ago

Another vote for #1!

• jgopp
    12 years ago

I like 1 as well, love the flow of the veins in it.

• lala girl
    12 years ago

Both gorgeous - but #1 wins for me - lovely!!

• mpagmom (SW Ohio)
    12 years ago

You can't lose! I would definitely pick #1.

• juniork
    12 years ago

davidro1, you're spot on! I initially was drawn to slab 2, but I wanted to see more. I wouldn't pick it based on what I see currently. There's also potential for tragedy. :)
    Slab 1 is safer, more uniform in its patterning. I vote 1.

• remodelfla
    12 years ago

and another #1

• dilly_ny
    12 years ago

#1 appeals to me.

• sochi
    12 years ago

It is difficult to choose as the quality of the first picture seems better, 1 is portrayed better in the pictures. I'd like more shots of 2, but I assume you don't have them.

I'm in the minority and am leaning towards 2, but remember that I do like quartzite with linear movement, so I'm biased I guess. I'm also contrary and I tend to prefer what others don't! - but regardless, I'm with Davidro - 2 could be fabulous.

Will you be able to get samples of both and test them? That may decide it for you. I think both are lovely.

Congratulations - you have been soooo patient.

• willtv
    12 years ago

Another vote for slab #1.
    It may just be the picture but, slab 2 seems to have some large swirls that look almost like like saw marks.

• dianalo
    12 years ago

#1 for me.

• muskokascp
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks all - seems we agree. Slab 1 it is.

sochi - I think slab 2 could be fabulous too but for a few concerns -there is a large discoloration on the top right area of the slab ( could be dirt , could be rusty inclusions) there are also a few more possible circular rusty spots on the left edge midline region. I like the whiteness of the slab and I do like the grey linear lines but I would prefer more veining. This slab is arriving in November, a full month after slab 1. There are only 6 slabs of the first one. I don't think I can take the chance on waiting to see slab 2 because I believe slab 1 will be gone gone gone and I have waited farrrr toooo long for counters.

I can't even contemplate my counters may be installed in the next 3 weeks!

• thornhill
    12 years ago

Is it possible to let me know which yard you found these. I love them.

• muskokascp
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thornhill, the slabs were in Halifax at Nova Tile. They only had 6 slabs which were gone the day they arrived. They said they are trying to get more but it does sell very quickly. Good luck!

• mindstorm
    12 years ago

Which one will look more like the "negative" of your soapstone? My suggestion is to go to that. Both are lovely otherwise.

• thornhill
    12 years ago

Thank you so much for the speedy response.

• babs711
    12 years ago

Oh! Oh! Oh! This is one of the stones I'm looking at at my stone yard! The first choice choice caught my eye first. Please keep us posted on your progress. You're way ahead of me and the only other person I've seen consider this stone!

• remodelfla
    12 years ago

number 1

• ELem77
    12 years ago

I love both of these! Just joined, so apologies for suggestions how to locate these stones in MA? Also wondering how much these marble look alike stones cost? And people's experience with durability who have lived with for a while. Thanks!

• kstuy
    12 years ago

I have White Macuba quartzite on my island and love it. It has only been a month but so far durability has been great. No etching or staining and I do not baby it. The cost was pretty high. Way higher than granite and higher than most marble I looked at but worth it for the hassle free maintenance.

• muskokascp
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I did install the macabus on the counters and backsplash and really love it too. It is very durable and like kstuy there have been no staining or etching issues. It really is maintenance free. It is up there in price though - higher than a lot of granites and quite a bit more than carrera but less than calacutta marble.

• kitchenkrazed09
    12 years ago

Gorgeous!

• ginger25
    12 years ago

Where do you find this quartzite? What state are you in? When I get ready to re-do my kitchen I would love to see this. Please tell me where I can find it. I vote for #1. Thank you.

• mmhmmgood
    12 years ago

That's one really spectacular countertop!

• babs711
    12 years ago

It looks great! Thanks so much for the photo!

Ginger25, it's at one of my yards and I'm in Louisiana.

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH