Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nomorebluekitchen

Let's make a list of soapstone suppliers

nomorebluekitchen
15 years ago

Trying to find a source for soapstone has been a common theme on the board since I joined. I know I really struggled to find options.

I thought maybe we could start a list of the different companies who supply soapstone as a resource for new members of the board.

In addition to local granite houses (none of which had a good supply) I worked with M. Tex, Teresina, and Dorado.

Anyone else want to chime in?

Anita

Comments (103)

• amela
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Thank you Sewcan!

• rbain_sd
    15 years ago

Just found alot of beautiful selection with Dorado Soapstone in LA/SD area. Talked with Randy who was very helpful and quick with responses. Seems they have Black, green, grey and everything in between in their selection.

He quoted me at $35-30 a square foot, beating everyone else significantly. Apparently they go directly to Brazil to get their stone so they have a lower price.

Before that I talked to G Marble and Granite, and San Diego Stone Works, who were both very nice, but much more expensive. Dorado seems to be coming up everywhere, anyone work with them around southern California area?

• User
    15 years ago

great thread-bump

• judydel
    15 years ago

The soapstone expert in my area is Rod Zander from New England Hearth & Soapstone. http://www.rodzander.com/

He'll be doing my counters.

Some day I'll have him also build a soapstone masonry heater for my kitchen (I have the spot ready). The heaters are similar to Tulikivi, except custom made. It will be awhile before I get to that point . . . gotta save up more money after the initial kitchen redo.

• venice_2008
    15 years ago

Good thread, and from it I have obtained two Canadian sources for soapstone: N&G and soapstonecounters.com. Does anyone know of any others, or of any US companies that will ship to Canada (Ontario).

• donka
    15 years ago

venice_2008: Yup. Here's the list I've amassed so far in addition to yours:

Dessco Countertops, located in Ancaster, and the other is:

Pro Stone, located in Scarborough. Pro Stone's website doesn't specifically mention soapstone, but I talked to a salesperson at a home show and he assured me they do carry it, and gave me a price list for it.

• User
    15 years ago

this thread, like Buehl's, If you're new to ....., should be kept on the front page and i didn't even buy soapstone!

• venice_2008
    15 years ago

Thanks, donka, and for others, another supplier came my way courtesy of elizpiz: Marble Trend, in Toronto: http://www.marbletrend.com/

If there are others, including US companies that ship to Canada, please do keep them coming.

• ali440
    15 years ago

Susied3-

I'm not sure about Dallas but if you call Dorado in Austin they will be able to help you!

• buffalotina
    15 years ago

Hi Venice,

I am over the border in Buffalo and am looking for Soapstone. I came across Cabinetworks in St. Catharines, Ontario that does soapstone counters - fabricate and install. I did not visit them yet but intend to do so. Hope this is helpful. Their website is posted below.

Tina

Here is a link that might be useful: Soapstone in St Catharines Ontario

• pluckymama
    15 years ago

Just wanted to give another accolade to Dorado Soapstone. My experience with them in their Shrewsbury, MA location has been nothing short of amazing. Dave Bruschett, goes out of his way to make sure that his customers are helped in every way. I was having problems with water rings and some chipping and dings and he drove 60 miles each way to my house today to show me what to do, teach me about soapstone and even refinish my island at a lesser grit to help it scratch less. Dorado knows and loves soapstone and wants their customers to as well!

• venice_2008
    15 years ago

Hi Buffalotina -- I'm actually checking out this supplier next weekend. I had been told that they got their stone from another Ontario company and did not therefore acquire it themselves directly, but I have since spoken with them, and they told me they do all their sourcing directly. Moreover, they have five different types. So, I'll see what it's like ...

• nomorebluekitchen
    Original Author
    15 years ago

bump

• venice_2008
    14 years ago

Following-up on my quest with info. (esp. for those in Ontario):

Prostone: Carries one kind only -- couldn't give me the name. Said it was "Brazilian." Very green; lots of mottling. Best price of any I looked at.

Soapstone in St. Catharines: Carries five kinds (have names on list somewhere). Very nice product. Nice people. Expensive, owing mainly to travel.

Dessco: Most expensive. Unclear how many varieties, as I didn't pursue them.

Ciot: hit and miss -- they claim to have it, but two calls have turned up nothing. My GC spoke with someone who said they can get it ... might follow-up again.

N&G Soapstone: nice product. On the pricey side, again owing to the travel time for templating and installation.

My idea was to have the soapstone supplied, then get my GC to take care of pick-up, installation and possibly fabrication. He's open, but not enthusiastic, owing, I think, to his inexperience with the stone. So, not sure if this will work and then there is the Q of warranty should anything go wrong during installation or travel -- makes me nervous to have no recourse if damage occurs.

Decision time approaches!

• orangejango_gmail_com
    14 years ago

We used Greg at Soapstone Werks. Wow! Out of all the other professionals we had coming in and out of our home to do work he was the best. He is a real artist with countertops. Oh, and we had a sink made to! He hand carved a flower motif himself right into the front of the sink! I love my kitchen! Great stone selection.
    Soapstone werks Escondido Calif,
    760-739-0655
    www.soapstonewerks.com

• kharamarie
    13 years ago

I wanted to revive this thread! I'm in Kentucky and am lost trying to find a soapstone fabricator that I would trust? Florida Joshua - are you out there??? In an earlier post, you mentioned traveling to Kentucky!!! What are the chances of that ever happening again??? It would be such an honor to work with you!!!

• donatelolee
    13 years ago

there is a list of soapstone suppliers base on locations through out the states it's at http://www.doradosoapstone.com/index.cfm/id/17/lang/english/locations
    I think this is a one company (Dorado Soapstone) or partnering with several locals they have a 1-800 number so ask them out.

Atlanta, GA Soapstone Location:
    1375 Pritchett Industrial Blvd
    Austell, GA 30168
    Phone: 404-665-7140
    Fax: 720-306-2371
    ========================
    Stockett Tile and Granite Company
    24413 North 19th Avenue
    Phoenix, AZ 85085
    Phone: 623-344-8400
    Fax: 623-344-8498
    ==========================
    Locations in California
    Southern California:

Long Beach, CA
    Main Distribution Yard
    By Appointment ONLY!
    Phone: (323) 284-5860
    Fax: (720) 306-2371
    Contact Us

Escondido, CA:
    Soapstone Werks
    2534 E. El Norte, PKWY.
    Escondido, CA 92027
    Phone: (760) 739-0655
    Contact Us
    Ventura, CA
    Ventura Stone
    4835 Colt Steet Suite B
    Ventura, CA 93003
    Phone: (805) 654-1834
    Contact Us
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    San Luis Marble & Granite
    5452 Edna Road
    San Luis Obispo, CA 93401
    Phone: (805 544-9133

Northern California:
    Sacramento, CA Soapstone
    Teresina Soapstone
    www.TeresinaSoapstone.com
    4011 Alvis Ct. # 3
    Rocklin, CA 95677
    Phone: (916) 577-1976
    Fax: (916) 244-7240
    Contact Us
    =========================
    Dorado Soapstone of Colorado
    901 S. Jason St. Unit B
    Denver, CO 80223
    Phone: 303-429-1387
    Fax: 303-650-4823
    ============================
    Euro Marble & Granite
    4522 N Ruby Street
    Schiller Park, IL 60176
    Phone: 847-233-0700
    Fax: 847-233-0727
    The Stone Studio
    20157 5 Point Road
    Batesville, IN 47006
    Phone: 812-933-0200
    ========================
    Dorado Soapstone Maine
    136 Rochester Street
    Berwick, Maine
    Phone: 207-899-8109
    ======================
    Euro Stone Craft
    13912 Park Center Road
    Herndon, VA 20171
    Tel : 703-435-5551
    =====================
    Dorado Soapstone Massachusetts
    167 Memorial Drive Unit D
    Shrewsbury, MA 01545
    Phone: 508-842-5701
    Fax: 508-842-5702
    ======================
    Midwest Specialty Products
    1340 Park Rd.
    Chanhassen, MN 55317
    (952) 470-0403
    ======================
    Dorado Soapstone Montana

Bozeman Marble & Granite
    7580 Pioneer Way
    Bozeman, MT 59718
    Phone: 406-522-7747
    ========================
    Dorado Soapstone New Jersey

Garden State Soapstone
    104 Davidsons Mill Road
    North Brunswick, NJ 08902
    Phone: 732-828-7000
    Albuquerque
    Santa Fe
    Taos

We service the entire state of New Mexico.
    Please contact us today for the location closest to you.

CORPORATE HEADQUATERS

Dorado Soapstone
    Phone: 303-429-1387
    Fax: 303-650-4823
    901 S. Jason St. Unit B
    Denver, CO 80223
    Nationwide Service
    ======================
    Upstate New York:
    Central New England Soapstone
    259 Stevenson Rd
    Greenwich, NY 12834
    Phone: 888-742-4202
    Fax: 888-742-4203

New York City:
    Garden State Soapstone
    104 Davidsons Mill Road
    North Brunswick, NJ 08902
    Phone: 732-828-7000
    North Carolina Soapstone Location:

Instyle Natural Tile & Stone
    801 Pressley Rd, Suite 107
    Charlotte, NC 28217
    Phone: 704-665-8880

Blue Water Surfaces
    1834 Carolina Beach Rd
    Wilmington, NC 28401
    Phone: 910-233-9629
    South Carolina Soapstone Location:

Campbell Tile Co.
    903 Frontage Rd
    Greenville, SC 29615
    Phone: 864-288-3371
    Shadley’s Soapstone of Oregon
    1829 NE Yellowstone Lane
    Bend, OR 97701
    Phone: 541-815-8688
    =======================
    Stone Masters Inc.
    515 Schoolhouse Road
    Kennett Square, PA 19348
    Phone: 610-444-7200
    Fax: 610-444-7209
    www.stonemastersinc.net
    =======================
    Dorado Soapstone of Texas
    Mailing Address
    3601 S. Congress St. H-100
    Austin, Tx 78704

Physical Address
    118 E. Alpine St. H-100
    Austin, Tx 78704

(512) 444-8600 (Phone)
    (512) 444-8601 (Fax)

Mon-Fri - 8:30-5:30pm
    Saturday by Appointment

Hope this helps!
    -DL

• diy_crazed
    13 years ago

Greensville Soapstone in Canada reps for M.Tex in Canada...excellent service! They are located in Burlington Ontario.

Here is a link that might be useful: Greensville Soapstone Company

• catsandcanines
    11 years ago

Bourget Bros in Santa Monica CA can order it but doesn't have any in stock.

• coloradoroots
    11 years ago

As a fabricator I really like these folks.

Colorado

SmartStone
    6714 East 47 Avenue Drive
    Denver, CO 80216
    303-377-3544
    info@smartstoneco.com

Here is a link that might be useful: soapstone in colorado

• Denise Tokarz
    11 years ago

Any recommendations for the Atlanta, GA area? Thanks!

• Soapstonelover
    10 years ago

I am obsessed with Soapstone! Haven't seen anyone mention places in the Pacific Northwest. My favorite place around here is a place called Crocodile Rocks Natural Stone Supply. They have the best selection, they seem to be the most knowledgable and they are the friendliest, by FAR! Love this place..

Here is a link that might be useful: Seattle Soapstone Supplier

• hsw_sc
    10 years ago

Dustin Braudway of Bluewater Surfaces has Dorado and Alberene Soapstones in NC. I had soapstone in my last home in SC and will have it again in this new house (in NC), hopefully beginning in January and will definitely be using him. Nice guy and does fantastic work.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bluewater Surfaces in NC

• WhiskyWoman
    10 years ago

Thank you soapstonelover! I live in Alaska and Seattle is the closest place for finding any decent selection

• sandy808
    10 years ago

Creative Soapstone near Sarasota Florida was absolutely wonderful to deal with. My kitchen went in over a year and a half ago and I am still extremely happy with the workmanship and soapstone counters.

My installation was perfect and I have no seams in any of my counters. The veining in the stone was matched from the counter up through the backsplash and into the windowsills. They even figured out how to curve the stone around the top edges of my 1930's style sink in order to flow properly into the windowsill. I live several hours away from them, so they stayed at a hotel in the area one night....my installation took two days.

• cookncarpenter
    10 years ago

Purchased my Mariana from Walker Zanger in Southern California

This post was edited by ctycdm on Thu, Nov 21, 13 at 9:22

• msaice
    10 years ago

First post!

Can anyone recommend a supplier or fabricator in Minnesota?

I visited one supplier, but I was not very impressed by their variety. I guess soapstone hasn't caught on in MN yet.

My kitchen is small, so I have been considering ordering remnant/recycled slabs from M. Teixeira, have them shipped, and then fabricated here.

Has anyone had good results with that?

Thank you!

• jackfre
    10 years ago

N CA, Sierra Soapstone, Rocklin CA did a nic job on fabrication and installation of ours. Good to deal with, on time,etc

• snow00774
    8 years ago

Reviving this thread - I'm in London Ontario and wondering if anyone near here has used had Soapstone installed recently and if so who did you use? Welcome any recommendations, feedback and advice - thanks!

• sherri1058
    8 years ago

I am also looking. Seems Great Mountain and Greensville get the best reviews? I talked to both companies at the Home Show this spring and was more impressed with Great Mountain, but I prefer a stone sold by Greensville! I also wondered about canadiansoapstone.ca but I haven't received a response to my email (sent this am) yet.

• snow00774
    8 years ago

Thanks for that info Sherri, would love to hear how you make out or hear from anyone else in the area who has installed soapstone in the last couple of years. I didn't make it to the home show but good to know you got to see and talk to both!

• Betty Pepau
    8 years ago

I'm in Texas. Bought 2 slabs last year from San Antonio. Gorgeous! Fabricator in Corpus Christi cut the hearth too small, then cut the sink hole wrong, came back to fix it and broke it. I'm out of options. Anybody know where I can find some soapstone with a white to beige veining? I'll pay to have it shipped. Just can't use the green veining. Thanks!

• sarah_croxon
    8 years ago

I live in the UK........ Does anyone know of a company that exports that far afield? I am having SUCH a difficult time sourcing soapstone over here.

• Raven Kirkland
    8 years ago

Does anyone know of a good source for soapstone in New Mexico or know of a supplier who will cut the stone based on a template and ship to Albuquerque, NM for a reasonable price? Very difficult to find anything of quality here in NM at a reasonable price.

• SharonNM
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I installed soapstone last year in Corrales and worked with United Stoneworks for the install. They have a source in Denver with a lot of slabs The Stone Connection-I'm sure they could send pictures. They told me they have trucks running from there to Albuquerque all the time. Being very controlling I was not willing to buy from a picture so I used miles and flew to Denver for the day and found my slab at M. TeixeiraLink to M. Teixeira. I decided to buy it on the spot because I fell in love. M. Teixeira will also cut the stone based on a template. You could talk to them and see who they have worked with in Albuquerque. We were happy with the delivery, templating (be there for templating so that you can get the parts you like about the stone where you want them) and install. As far as I could find out there is no where in Albuquerque that has slabs of soapstone in stock. The shipping was not cheap however-I cannot find my invoice so I am not sure.

• Xochitl
    8 years ago

Wanted to revive this tread. I am in Los Angeles and looking at Shadley Soapworks, Soapstone Werks and the installer, Erazo Tile (two very bad reviews online) that work with Soapstone International to do my soapstone countertops and sink in the next month. I found two other potential installers on this list. I am also wondering if you could get an installer that works with other materials to install soapstone countertops?

• wascolette
    8 years ago

I live in LA and had a great experience with Shadley Soapstone. Tom is great. Very helpful. shadleysoapstone.net. 626-806-5160. If you go with Tom tell him Vicki Buttens in Redondo Beach said hi and that we still LOVE our counters.

• Melissa Kroger
    8 years ago

I am in LA and talked with Tom Shadley, but he didn't have what I was looking for. I am using Soapstone Werks in Escondido. It was a long drive from Ventura county, but I found exactly what I wanted. They are incredibly knowledgable and I am confident they will do a great job.

• Kristen R
    8 years ago

If you don't mind me asking, what is the going rate for soapstone in LA these days? We were going to do wood but, given the quote we received (almost $200/sq ft), I'm wondering if we should reconsider soapstone.

• Xochitl
    8 years ago

kristensgc So far, I've gotten quotes for $67 sq ft, $81 sq ft and $87 sq ft for installation and materials. This does not include any cuts or drain boards and there is always an additional fee for sink cut out ranging from 100 to almost $300.

We are going to do wood on a peninsula but may do all wood because the cost of installation for soapstone is much higher than wood. Where are you getting your wood?

• Xochitl
    8 years ago

melis918 I am also considering Soapstone Werks. They said they charge an additional fee for driving to Los Angeles. Do you know what the fee is?

Can I ask what your cabinetry is that the soapstone is going over? We are doing Ikea.

• Kristen R
    8 years ago

Thanks for the info! That's a lot more reasonable than I expected. We went to Mission West.

We'll keep living with our terribly warped IKEA butcher block for now. I've become gun shy about counters. I seriously can't figure out what to do.

• Xochitl
    8 years ago

kristensgc Have you looked at Craft-Art for wood countertops? Or Armani Fine Woodwork? Both look like good options.

• Xochitl
    8 years ago

Another soapstone counter fabricator and installer in Los Angeles is Nabers Stone Co. Inc. in Canoga Park. Has anyone used them? They gave me a quote in line with Soapstone Werks.

• Kristen R
    8 years ago

Thanks Xochiti! I knew about Craft-Art but I will check the other one out. Though I just happened to find this place in Culver City and they look promising.

• Xochitl
    8 years ago

kristensgc Yes, we've been there. They cut some wood for us. I saw on Yelp some woman said they are doing her countertops but I suspect they are on the pricey side.

• Melissa Kroger
    8 years ago

Xochiti- I just saw your question for me. Soapstone Werks is charging me a fuel travel surcharge of $850. They are in Escondido and I am in Ventura county, so a 3-4 hour drive depending on traffic. They are fabricating/installing soapstone on perimeter counters and full backsplash behind range, and fabricating/installing quartzite on island that includes waterfall.

• Xochitl
    8 years ago

There is another soapstone countertop installer in Los Angeles area, but they don't do drainboards or runnels.

Marble & Granite in Norwalk, CA

http://gmarcoa.wix.com/granitecountertops

Marco Galena

805-680-8321

Gmarcoa@yahoo.com

• saun177618
    5 years ago

Spent the better part of a week searching for soapstone in Dallas. A few of the big yards had Indian soapstone but have heard stories about it being dyed so scratches do not buff out easily and is it less dense than that from the USA. So far ,the best options seem to be to drive to Denver for a great selection or to order from RMG , a quarry in Castle ton Vermont. At four hundred dollars a slab you can suck up the fabrication costs.The variation in prices is astounding for the same product.. not for different qualities or countries of origin.So glad I did not relent and get Quartz. Heard a major US quartz company has brought legal action against China for dumping its product.(WSJ) Also ,there are some suits alleging high toxicity from silica being talked about .

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida