Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flanags_gw

Anyone heard of Holiday Kitchen cabinets ?

flanags
10 years ago

Our builder has referred us to a Kitchen Designer that he likes to use. upon calling to make an appointment I asked which cabinet brands does he prefer to use and he stated that he installs mostly Holiday cabinets by Holiday kitchens. I couldn't find much information regarding reviews / quality etc. on the Internet. Anyone have any experience with Holiday cabinets ?

Comments (39)

• MizLizzie
    10 years ago

We recently remodeled using Holiday and have been pleased. They produce something I'd call just a shade under high-end custom cabinetry. They delivered on time. The cabinet quality appears excellent. Really fine finish work, I thought. They are by no means inexpensive. (We are still reeling from the shock but YMMV depending on what you've budgeted.)

Our designer and contractor use only Holiday, Custom Cupboards, or Jay Rambo, which is pricer still. Maybe that will give you a feel for where they fall in the hierarchy of cabinetry. There is more here in old threads regarding Holiday if you search diligently. I cannot recall seeing any complaints.

• MizLizzie
    10 years ago

And to prove myself a liar, I provide the thread below. I don't recognize the poster as a regular here, but others might.

Our work was done in May, and I will have to honestly say our experience w/Holiday was a polar opposite to this. That said, we had an outstanding contractor. Maybe he smoothed things.

Here is a link that might be useful: Unhappy Holiday customer

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

My neighbor has them and has been very happy. We almost used the same KD and were also going to get Holiday but went with a different contractor who used different lines. I think they are good cabinets.

• williamsem
    10 years ago

Well I'm not sure I would place any stock in that linked post. I tried to see on the company's website if it might be a different Holiday Cabinets they sell, maybe check out the logo. The only website I saw was one of those discount places that advertises a 10x10 kitchen for $xxx, and has set door style/color combos to pick from. No mention of other companies. Plus that user registered that day, and hasn't even responded back to the post. Not sure if the company name was accidentally typed (easy enough), or if that post is bogus.

But I'm not familiar with those cabinets. One of the places I considered carried them, but it was the one where the guy I was working with left before he even gave me a ballpark quote, so by the time I got a reply I had picked a different company.

• flanags
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all ! I looked at the cabinets today and they appear to be really nice - look and feel wise. Right now we are getting a quote with them- I think with almost everything it will come down to the cost. It's such a big part of our budget so we want to get it right.

• MizLizzie
    10 years ago

If it helps you any, here's a shot of ours. All cabs were from Holiday's Estate line or Traditional line. I think the perimeter was Estate. All maple. Doors and drawers are their "Lancaster" style.

The island is in an Empire finish with Onyx glaze. The perimeter is Holiday's oft-used Nantucket finish, which is a deep cream with just a hint of pink in certain lights. Ignore the lemony backsplash. A weird a camera flash problem, something to do with the under-counter LED lights.

Yes, I think that grumbly poster had a score to settle. I'm always suspicious when they never turn up again.

• flanags
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Your kitchen is beautiful. I'm still waiting on a quote but seeing your kitchen is making me feel quite a bit better :)

• flanags
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Your kitchen is beautiful. I'm still waiting on a quote but seeing your kitchen is making me feel quite a bit better :)

• detroit_burb
    10 years ago

I thought to use them until reading about them here on GW. Thru lots of research I decided on a different route, which I am glad for in the end.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg1111334512102.html

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0222280121952.html

scroll down on the second link.

• lhburd
    10 years ago

I am brand new to Garden Web but thought the time was right since we are about to embark on an extensive redo of our 1925 house. I met with a recommended KD yesterday who sells the Holiday line. She has worked with many kitchen companies through the years and has had her own design company for 6 years. She really likes the quality of the line and the various options available for the cabinet boxes. I like that they are American made (in Wisconsin).
    I am amazed at how many companies there are out there. Still have more research to do.

• deedles
    10 years ago

They are made in Rice Lake, Wisconsin. I considered them strongly before going custom. I thought their finishes were gorgeous... the stained finishes had such depth.

• runr13
    10 years ago

I continue to have a very bad experience with this company more than a year after the installation of my Holiday Kitchen cabinets. Their quality control is inferior or perhaps nonexistent: The initial installation started going bad after about 2 months: cabinets started to shrink, fade and/or crack. In some cases, the replacements arrived cracked or with mismatched color or even the wrong size, and we had to start the months-long cycle all over again. The executive at their headquarters in Wisconsin, Marty Branham, repeatedly made unfulfilled promises; that was before he stopped communicating entirely. Not sure what I am supposed to do now, except just live with my mistake in choosing Holiday Kitchens. Don't buy their products unless you want a part-time job trying to make things right, lots of frustration, and disappointment in a company that will happily take a lot of your money then ignore their own failures.

• lennybean
    10 years ago

Not familiar

This post was edited by lennybean on Tue, May 20, 14 at 15:05

• nelpog68
    9 years ago

I might be to late for this, but I am on my second Holiday Kitchen. We remodeled our last home with Holiday and were so please with them that when we buit a new home 6 years ago we choice Holiday again. They were always so accommodating and our cabinets came in a timely manner and are beautiful. We have a maple stained perimeter and our Island is painted ivory with a light glaze. Our builder thought they were excellent quality and easy to install. The upset poster didnâÂÂt even mention Holiday in her post. Maybe she is confused. Besides, if she had a reputable cabinet dealer they should have handled everything whether they were Holiday or not. Holiday can offer you all the bells and whistles. I donâÂÂt think you will be disappointed. Let us hear from you if you go ahead with them.

• ljabrahams
    9 years ago

Our Holiday cabinets were installed two weeks ago. The dividers in the utility drawer were installed on an angle instead of parallel to the drawer box; the front band that had to be hand-installed on one cabinet is wrinkled; there is a bubble in the surface laminate of the spice drawer pull-out, and the base of the cabinet ordered to house the double wall ovens is sagging under the weight of the ovens.

• kday72
    8 years ago

Ljabrahams - I'm so sorry to hear you are having issues. Could you share which line you used? I too am considering Holiday so your post is very timely for us. I'm just wondering if you have one of the solid wood cabinets, thermofoil, laminate, veneer or acrilux. I'm not totally sure what all of these are (I know about veneer and solid wood) but if you could let us know that would be great.

• imasevad
    7 years ago

We have looked at the big box offerings and we also looked at Prosource Wholesale. We talked to a kitchen designer that only uses Holiday Kitchen cabinets. I've looked thru the older threads. According to their website, the company was taken private in 2012. The display kitchens, the samples and cabinet cutaway all look very good, with good construction.

Does anyone else have any recent/current kitchen projects (after 2012) with HK - are you happy with it or disappointed, any pictures or information would be appreciated. Would you recommend or use HK again.

• MizLizzie
    7 years ago

Having had such good luck with our kitchen cabinets holding up, we used them again in early 2015 for a bath and a laundry reno. Excellent results, though the project was small. Very sorry for those who have had bad luck. (And sorry for those frightful lemon under-cab lights in my old pics. We had to pull out those warm LEDs and replace them with cool.)

• P. Wirth
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Hi to all. I am new to this site and I too am doing a kitchen reno. I am leaning toward Holiday Kitchen- a painted, recessed panel, framed cabinet. But, as earlier mentioned, it is hard to find current feedback on this line. Does anyone have any recent first-hand knowledge of how HK compares to other cabinetry lines? Are their other lines that anyone would suggest taking a look at? This whole process has been a bit overwhelming... and since we have to level the floor before putting in a whole new floor, add heating and a window in addition to all new appliances (we are going with Bosch) I want to make sure I am spending money wisely. While I would love to afford Rutt or Woodmode I don't know if even their lesser lines of Rutt Regency or Woodmode's Brookhaven are feasable (their stuff is gorgeous). We live in a very modest house and have been living with the original 1948 kitchen, or what is still left of it, for 22 years. The time has come and I want to do a righteous job- but a realistic righteous job- given the size of the house and the area. Any feedback would be very welcome. Thanks in advance.

• bellancanut
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

True, they appear of above average quality in materials, but take a step back before buying Holiday Cabinets. About 5 years ago we bought our entire kitchen cabinet remodel from Holiday. Of 32 door faces, 12 were rejected after installation by the selling/installing dealer for defects in preparation or finish and had to be reordered from the factory (6-week delay).

Recently, my wife found two cabinet faces with problems. One had expansion cracks or grain separation. The other had a protrusion (from the backside) about the size of a pencil eraser punching its way through the finished side of the door.

We sent detailed photos to Holiday Cabinets Customer Service who, without physical inspection of the two faces in question, sent the following reply; “The Sink base door is cracking due to water getting underneath the finish, spreading and swelling enough to fracture the paint." We might accept this explanation if the other sink base door showed even the slightest indication of similar issues, it does not. Also, we are pretty fastidious about not getting water on our cabinets.

With regards the protrusion on the other face Holiday said; “The same could be possible with the drawer front. If the paint is broken in any way, it leaves a spot for the moisture to seep in and swell.” We might accept this explanation except for the fact that this drawer face is on another wall that has no water.

Holiday went on, “These would not be manufacturer defects in material or workmanship and would not be covered under the Holiday Kitchens Limited Lifetime Warranty.”

We cannot recommend this manufacturer. Every cabinet maker likely has issues with natural wood doors, but to summarily reject a customer request for warranty support without physical inspection does not speak well of their policy toward customer service. Furthermore, the carefully crafted warranty speaks right up-front that contacting Holiday Cabinets for warranty support is wasted effort.

Many other manufacturers of quality cabinets, at competitive prices are out there. Avoid Holiday Cabinets.

• PRO
    Tyrone Designs
    3 years ago

NO HOLIDAY! BAD HOLIDAY!

We’ve had a terrible time with Holiday as well. Like 0/10 recommend.

We have painted grey and navy and they have bubbles, chips, missing/incomplete parts in the finish upon delivery. Obviously left factory that way. On top of multiples having dents/cracks damages in the wood that were obviously painted over anyway. They’re little things, but a LOT, on over 50% of the pieces of cabinetry ordered, some of those with one little bubble, some with multiple all over. Other issues encountered:

1. Our contractor has re ordered EIGHT (8) separate times to replace the various 27 fronts/drawers that I’ve reported. Not even the boxes that had issues. Just fronts. Each time maybe one of them is right but half of them are WORSE than the ones they were meant to replace. And they replace them, therefore acknowledging they know they sent bad ones. We’re coming up on a year since our final inspection punch list was submitted and it’s become all consuming. There are even other standard issues in our contractors work itself that we’ve let fall to the wayside because of how incredibly unhappy we are with these damn cabinets.

2. Multiple of the fronts or trim pieces that were fine on install show down to bare wood already (and has for 6 months) so obviously they are not going to last, nor does their painting method they extoll on their site even penetrate or bond to the wood as they claim. Or at least it didn’t on ours!

3. They did our floating shelves for us and 1 of the 4 is falling apart at the joints. Another has very obvious glue showing in one of the joints as well. Always has.

4. Some of the boxes themselves aren’t even square either, let alone the same paint/finish issues. Our contractor has had to repeatedly reinstall the crown so it “appears” straight at least. Speaking of the crown, they’ll only manufacture 8ft, so we have a random slit just on the top of one of the cabinet runs. So obviously not anywhere near true custom.

Lastly, we even had a rep from the company stop by to look and verify the repeated claims and we found him to be rude as hell. Constantly would state “I don’t see it. What are you talking about.” while refusing to get closer than 5 feet in some areas or just standing across the room. This was after we even told the company, you know what this is ridiculous. Refund us a hefty chunk of our purchase price and we’ll call it quits just to save our sanity and they refused any at all minus a paltry <10% ONLY meant to use to hire someone to refinish them in home. Aka required a quote from a local refinisher before they would even release that.

Long story short. It is my strongly, deeply held opinion you don’t go with them. Especially the painted ones. And call out any contractor that recommends them. I asked ours to use a different brand when gathering quotes and he claimed wonderful things about holiday and their service and quality, stating he had “worked with them for years and had a rapport and could get things fixed in a week when issues arose,” etc... each re order has taken over a month. I forgave the first round as we ordered 27 and assumed they were taking extra time to really inspect but it’s obvious to me they have no quality control or just don’t care. Not sure which is worse. Might even be both.

• ljabrahams
    3 years ago

Our architect steered us to Holiday Cabinets. There were endless mistakes in the manufacturing. They built most of the drawers with the bottom plywood upside-down so the knot holes show when you open the drawers, rather than the clean side of the wood showing. Trim was missing from some shelves. The "double oven" cabinet had no supports so the cabinet shelves sagged when the ovens were installed. We ordered inserts for a drawer that was supposed to hold the kitchen utensils; they installed the drawer dividers at an angle instead of straight and even. You may want to avoid this company.

• HU-716149314
    3 years ago

Holiday cabinets are for those who like defective, chipped, wrong color, wrong door style, stain defects or holes In the “new” cabinets! I even had the company representative out to the house to inspect all the issues and he wrote up a page worth of issues. It took numerous re-order to finally get all the cabinets with minimal defects that were repaired by the kitchen design company out of their frustration over the cabinet line. Buyer Beware!!!

• mmwms18
    3 years ago

We spent $11,000, contacted Holiday, get shoved back to distributor fof Holiday. DO NOT purchase these cabinets!!!!! Cant even speak to the rep, will not replace cabinet front ir drawer front, expect us to pay, but wont even provide the actual cost. Gangsters! Buyer beware! ,dont get screwed!!

• heidi russell
    3 years ago

We ordered our kitchen in October.... still waiting and it's March.... we were quoted 7-8 weeks. Every week Holiday Kitchens says our cabinets will be on the next truck and every week they are NOT. We are STILL waiting. (This can't be a Covid issue. We ordered in the midst of the pandemic and were not given the slightest hint that there may be an issue. It's a convenient excuse though!)

• Joanne Costello
    3 years ago

Same experience here, ordered in November 2020 and told 7-8 weeks meaning end of December ship date. Then it became end of January 2021, then end of February, then absolutely shipping on 3/15/2021, which came and went and nothing shipped. This company is a disaster. Run don’t walk.....order from another quality vendor as Holiday IS NOT.

• heidi russell
    3 years ago

We just got our cabinets.... lots of dings that they painted over but it looks terrible! wrong doors on one cabinet, 3 drawers were cracked. There will have to be at least 7 pieces (door, drawer, etc) that will have to be redone. We are closing on the house in April... My chances of having this done before we close is about NEGATIVE 100%

• heidi russell
    3 years ago

yes; they suck

• heidi russell
    3 years ago

Our kitchen finally came (2.5 months late) but many pieces were missing, many pieces were broken, the paint job was horrible. There's not one cabinet that doesn't have an issue. We have no refrigerator doors or DW door, etc etc etc. BEWARE!

• heidi russell
    3 years ago

Actually I just took stock of our cabinets. The appliance doors are missing, several panels are missing, 3 drawers are broken (cracked), one is crunched, on door was created incorrectly, one hinge is missing and more. The paint job is horrendous. It is obvious where someone tried to "fix" scratches, etc before they shipped to us. So, today I found out that the rest of the missing cabinet parts will be shipped on April 11. (that's 6 months after I ordered them with a 6-8 week lead time.). DO NOT USE HOLLIDAY CABINETS

• PRO
    Leasha Tescari
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I'm a kitchen designer with over 30 years experience and I have NEVER experienced this level of incompetence from any manufacturer. I have a kitchen I've been trying to get complete for over a year. I ordered a friend 6 cabinets for a basement bar in November. The cabinets didn't arrive until mid February. When they did the doors were chipped and painted over. I've been waiting 3 months for the replacements and as of yesterday the product wasn't in production. Buyer beware. Your designer can only do so much if the manufacturer's management team is non-existent. They fired the rep too. Thru him under the bus. I've known him most of my career and the problem wasn't him!

• deliastory1
    2 years ago

wow! I am surprised to see all the negative posts. I remodeled my (fairly large) kitchen with Holiday Kitchen cabinets about 11 years ago and I could not be happier with the product and workmanship. Maybe the company and product quality were better 11 years ago? I was thinking about purchasing more of the same cabinets for a wall in my breakfast area (hence my searching for posts about Holiday Kitchens...)

• mmwms18
    2 years ago

Class action lawsuit?

• Chris Bart
    2 years ago

Yes....dealing with Holiday Kitchens right now...Tell your contractor to use some other cabinet maker. If you're lucky, with this outfit, you'll get your cabnetsi in a year.....Beware...heed my warning.

• carolinealbright
    2 years ago

Yes, our contractor also suggested Holiday. The quality and price are recuced. There were 2 mistakes, which took 12 weeks for the corrections. This is my 3rd house rennovation, (first time with Holiday) I would definitely not use them again.

• lisa
    9 months ago

2020 painted HK cabinets.  I think the quality is terrible! chips all over the place,  drawer pull outs breaking,  waited 5 months for 1 slide out??!!  I would never use these cabinets again!

• mmwms18
    9 months ago

Same thing happened to us. cheaply made. I regret buying them everytime I open a drawer. unable to fet a paint kit from them so I have to suffer. spread the word…

• Erin Roche
    5 months ago
    last modified: 5 months ago

I had Holiday cabinets installed 5 years ago because my contractor sells them. Despite the fact that I live alone and don't use the kitchen much, the cabinets started chipping within a couple of years and I have white cabinets, so imagine how much more noticeable it would be if I had colored cabinets Then I had a leak and needed to replace a cabinet. It's turning out to be a huge hassle since they don't sell direct to customers. Honestly, go with a different cabinet company if you're going to spend this much. I had Kraftmaid cabinets that I ordered from Home Depot that were half the cost in my last apartment and they held up for 10+ years and still looked amazing. I'd go with a lower end cabinet that stands up better before I'd go with Holiday again.