Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eam44

Has anyone here recessed double ovens?

eam44
9 years ago

I have searched both GW and Google and checked the appliance installation manual, which does not address this directly, but doesn't seem to prohibit it either.

My ovens have a 2" trim that will stand proud of the cut-out depth, and handles that stick out another 3". The cabinetry I'm installing the ovens into (three cabinets - upper and single drawer base plus an appliance case) would be 24" deep but I have 26" of depth to the wall. I am planning to install the cabinets with 2" of lumber attached to the wall. I want to use the depth to pull the oven case back flush to the wall.

I'm hoping there are no posts on this because it is so common, not because it's unwise.

Comments (11)

• cookncarpenter
    9 years ago

It's likely that the bottom oven door may not open, unless you space it up a couple inches to clear the hinge action.
    Also be sure there are no vents in sides, top or bottom of doors.

• Mrs_Nyefnyef
    9 years ago

The oven doors must sit proud of the cabinet sides because you don't want the oven doors when open to allow the cabinet sides, which are made of combustible materials, to be exposed to the oven. I don't think your plan is safe, and to be frank, I don't see what you are trying to achieve.

Some wall ovens have doors with narrower profiles. If you don't like the thicker doors and beefier handles of the more "professional look" wall ovens, I suggest you buy one of the narrower-profile ovens, instead of incurring a potentially dangerous situation from recessing your ovens.

This post was edited by Mrs_Nyefnyef on Fri, Oct 17, 14 at 18:27

• scrappy25
    9 years ago

You are looking for an inset installation. I have those instructions for my wolf oven and subzero fridge and my dishwasher. I suspect only higher end appliances (other than dishwashers which are not installed in cabinets) will be constructed to accommodate inset installation and not all (for example I don't the European brands do).

• rococogurl
    9 years ago

Some ovens can be installed flush, which is what you are asking about.

However, not all ovens can be installed that way. Miele I know for sure can be. It needs to be an option and the specs can tell you.

This post was edited by rococogurl on Fri, Oct 17, 14 at 21:33

• User
    9 years ago

Most ovens can't be installed that way. Generally only the expensive Euro ones can.

• eam44
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the feedback.

• ainelane
    9 years ago

I've been researching flush wall ovens myself and so far the brands that I've found that have a flush install model are: Miele, JennAir, Bertazzoni and Bosch.

• User
    9 years ago

This is where my disturbingly photographic memory for galley kitchens on GW pays off! GW member @Ginny20 recessed Electrolux double ovens. I've linked her reveal from a few years ago.

Here is a link that might be useful: @Ginny20's galley kitchen w/recessed ovens

• friedajune
    9 years ago

I saved this photo as a reminder to make sure my contractor in my next kitchen installs the ovens far enough forward of the cabinetry (in my current kitchen the range is pushed several inches forward of the cabinetry, which looks fine). The discussion when this photo was posted was whether the poster's oven was too recessed into the cabinets, so that the heat from the oven affected the cabinets and ruined them.

I understand the flush look for a fridge, where people want the fridge to disappear and look like a seamless part of the cabinetry. But for the oven, it is uncommon as the OP has mentioned. Question for the OP - what is the style of your kitchen? Is it very contemporary with Italian-style cabinetry? I have seen flush ovens with that look, and is always very high-end and not easy to achieve.

This post was edited by akchicago on Sat, Oct 18, 14 at 9:26

• friedajune
    9 years ago

Also, if the OP's ovens' instruction manuals do not allow for recessed installation the way that ovens like Mieles and Gaggenaus do, would she void her warranty by installing them recessed? I definitely wouldn't want to void the warranty.

• kksmama
    9 years ago

Thanks for the discussion EAM44! I totally understand wanting things to be flush for both form and function. In my busy house, if something sticks out it is going to get bumped into and scratched, or catch on and bruise a person or object as he passes. I set my rangetop several inches back on my counters and am glad to have done so, I get a wider aisle and better vent hood coverage.