Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
buy1soon

Share your counter to ceiling tile walls?

Terri_PacNW
9 years ago

My preplan was white subway, 6x12 on my two kitchen walls. I have the window wall and range wall.
Now my husband says that's boring and wants just the stove wall tiled but with a mosaic type of squares and rectangles.

Please share your large tiled wall spaces.

Comments (15)

• oldbat2be
    9 years ago

Not quite counter to ceiling but not boring :). It looks different almost every time you see it.

Kj Patterson

This post was edited by oldbat2be on Sun, Oct 19, 14 at 7:13

• oldbat2be
    9 years ago

Terri_pacnw - can you post pictures of your space?

• Terri_PacNW
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I can but the problem is...I have the big ugly 40 paint coats, peeling cabinets still up. Lol it will look very different when emptied out. :)
    This a listing photo.

• Terri_PacNW
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We have replaced that range with a free standing gas from CL at the moment. I could cook on it no longer!
    Other listing photo.

• Terri_PacNW
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh wait one more.
    This is looking into the kitchen from the sitting room. That is the side of the giant fridge beside the front door. (Fridge has lock dent in it's door side to prove it!)
    The fridge will be recessed into that wall you see with the mystery light switch and outlet on this side. (We have been here 5 months and still haven't figured out what that switch goes to.) That "wall" holds a coat closet on the left side and a pantry on the right. The side facing doors will be framed in. The wall on the kitchen side opened up and the fridge, over the fridge cabinet and pantry cabinetry will be "built in".

That leaves me two walls to do something with. I am really leaning towards no uppers. Or just two smaller uppers on each side of the range hood.

Btw, your kitchen is lovely. Very pleasing!

• Hydragea
    9 years ago

Here was my kitchen from my last house (I love yellow! :-)):

• badgergal
    9 years ago

Mosaic tile does not get a lot of love on this forum but I didn't let that stop me from using it. I didn't do the entire length of wall but I did go to the ceiling. Just posting so you have another visual.

Oh and by the way the picture is from a couple years ago. Don't want you to think I am putting out Christmas items this early.

• Terri_PacNW
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lol Badgergal...
    I remember seeing yours and that might be the amount of tile we go with if he convinces me towards his side...thing is I'm the one that spends 99% of the time in it. So not sure why I am even letting him sway me in a different direction.

Hydragea, that is a cute, cute kitchen wall. Did you have that tile anywhere else? Or just around the sink/window?

• oldbat2be
    9 years ago

terri_pacnw, thanks for posting pictures. I love how you have windows on both sides of the kitchen! What a difference it will be without the giant fridge :)

Is DH wanting to do the whole stove wall, as an accent wall, or only above the cooktop area?

Initial thoughts: from the sitting room: if you only tile the cooktop area, you won't see very much of the tile. Here's a quick mockup of A (cookotop areas) , B (all stove wall), and C (floating shelves).

• brightm
    9 years ago

Neat mock ups ob2b. Now I'm sad I won't see any of my backsplash from outside the kitchen. ::sniff:: It'll only be on my interior/drywall walls. My exterior walls are painted brick.

There's someone on GW that did a reveal about a month and a half to 3 months ago of a very substantial home reno. I think it's the same person who has the mixer storage in the column attached to the island. It's a bit of a continent, IIRC. And I think the home reno included removing ceiling from the living area right outside the kitchen to make for a vaulted great room. It was the most well-documented reno I'd seen and there was a blue/green mosaic over the range wall with different size rectangles. Can anyone think of who I'm talking about?

• Terri_PacNW
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Badgergal, he likes your range area only tile..and says it looks like rain.

Ob2b, Thanks for the mock up. The windows on the right side are actually further down the wall and across the diningroom area and are in the family room. It's a window beside a slider and another window on the other side of the slider.

This post was edited by terri_pacnw on Sun, Oct 19, 14 at 23:07

• practigal
    9 years ago

Hydragea I really like the way you did the kitchen sink in the counter. I have not seen that kind of sink with that kind of edge. Can you tell me more about what you recall about it? Did it stay nice and white without too much effort? Was the brushing the crumbs into the sink factor difficult? Thanks. (sorry to change subjects)

• eplumeng
    9 years ago

Hydragea - what brand of tile is that? Beautiful!

• Majra
    9 years ago

We not only went up to the ceiling, but wrapped the window too. I have no paint in my smallish open kitchen, only tile.

• texasgal47
    9 years ago

Badgergal, your kitchen has always been one of my GW favorites....so unique and creative with all those curved cabinets and love your vertical mosaic tiles! Wish more on GW would stray from the One True Kitchen. As that old saying goes, variety is the spice of life.