Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Barrier island or sinking ship? Layout help

Posted by meme2020 (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 3, 12 at 14:42

While purchasing appliances we decided to update our kitchen from the previous owner. During the process, the cabinet person suggested we could change our layout to an island. Currently we have a peninsula, but it isn't that functional for us (2 adults).

Below is the new layout we are coming close to finalizing. The refrigerator and island aisle is 57-60". The area will also be a main walkway.

I read about aisle widths but am concerned it may be too narrow due to the refrigerator. Do you think we are cutting it too close? I appreciate your advice & suggestions.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Barrier island or sinking ship? Layout help

Sorry for the poor picture quality. I'm having problems posting the PDF.

o

Is the only landing pad for things coming out of the fridge the island?

Personally, I would want the fridge closer to the sink.

ML

o

Put a prep sink on the island and it would be fine. Absent the prep sink, the fridge needs to go on the sink run at the end.

o

Thanks for your input and advice. My preference is to move the refrigerator too. If it fits, it seems like a better layout.

Maddielee, yes, there is a landing spot next to the refrigerator.
Live wire oak, I wanted to move the refrigerator, but was told it's too big, it's 48". I'll get more details on the clearance space needed around the refrigerator and see if can work. If not I'll add the prep sink.

Thanks!

o

It it is a 48" built in (like a subzero) then you have nothing to worry about regarding space. As for the sink, IMHO (and I'm not an expert) in an ideal world your fridge would be closer to your sink, but in the size of your kitchen you will manage fine with the distance.

As an aside - to post the pdf you need to save it as a jpeg.

o

I would move the fridge. Right now the island is a barrier between fridge and sink. But if you move the fridge, you lose most of the prep space on the perimeter. The space between sink and range is going to get stacked with dirty dishes.
Definitely a prep sink on the island whether you move the fridge or not. I would put it near the fridge. Then the island cabs are prep space convenient to sink, range, and fridge.

o

Thanks for the additional feedback...it is a 48" built in refrigerator. I am going to talk to gc more about moving it to the sink wall.

Laura, thank you so much! It is reassuring to know that if we can't move the refrigerator that space won't be an issue.

Bellsmom, those are good points too. I didn't think about losing perimeter space or the placement of the prep sink. Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here