Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mayo510

Creative ideas needed for space above fridge

Mayo510
9 years ago

Returning to the forum after remodeling plans fell apart a couple of years, and a couple of major life events, ago. This forum was so helpful then, I'm hoping now to find some help for my new make-the-most-of-what-I've-got needs.

My kitchen has a 33" wide and 81" tall refrigerator nook that fits a 30" refrigerator - my spiffy new refrigerator below.

My old refrigerator was substantially shorter than my new one, and we kept the microwave on top. I'm happy with my taller, roomier new refrigerator, except, now, what to do with that space on top?

I'm not at all a heavy microwave user - 1-2 times/week, melt butter, reheat leftovers, make popcorn - and having it up high has not been inconvenient, but, again, my old fridge was several inches shorter. It's up there in the picture because I was testing if it still fit, and it does. I'd have to find something to use as a base so that I could slide it forward and the door could clear the hinge at the top, but it would work. There are just under 13" of clearance above the hinge bar. Some more pics:

But, it's kind of ridiculous crammed up there, isn't it? I *could* put it on a counter that I'm building to the left of the fridge, but I'm worried that counter space will already be too appliance-heavy (toaster-oven, mixer, food processor). I am also considering going with a microwave shelf wall cabinet as part of that bank. I've got Ikea cabinets (Orsa Birch) elsewhere in the kitchen, and right now have a large cart in that location to the left of the fridge, but with Akurum/Rationell being discontinued, I decided to go with a matching bank while I could.

And, if the microwave is not on top of the fridge, what can that space be used for? It's too short for any sort of fridgetop cabinet - well, at least, for the Ikea ones. Any way to use it as a space for storing the couple-times-a-year roasting and baking pans? Without them looking too cluttered or getting dusty? I thought about just a tension rod and short curtain - solves the clutter look issue, but not the dust, and might look strange. Certainly cheap, though, and cheap is good. Any experienced Ikea hackers out there have ideas for making a cabinet with that space?

Thanks for any advice!

Comments (22)

• donnamira
    9 years ago

Instead of a curtain, how about a wooden blind stained to match your cabinets?

• Mayo510
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks - lots of glorious built-ins that I can't fit, afford, or match to my existing Ikea. :-( I guess maybe I could have a shelf built right at top-of-fridge level and then use long baskets? Not sure there's such a thing as a basket that would hold a roasting pan, but maybe.

• bbstx
    9 years ago

Below is a link to a basket website. I've never ordered from them, but I pinned it "just in case." You might be able to find a basket as big as your roasting pan.

While I was looking at their things, I saw some "crates" that they have. Obviously, you have some construction skills. Perhaps you could make a "crate."

Here is a link that might be useful: Basket Website

• crl_
    9 years ago

A shelf, with the back blocked to be not so deep, then store cookbooks, on their sides if they are too tall.

Or two shelves to store platters.

Or a basket for extra paper towels or kitchen linens or infrequently used kitchen gadgets.

• bbstx
    9 years ago

Whatever you choose to do, be sure you leave the necessary ventilation space around your fridge. The instruction book ought to tell you what minimum clearances are.

• teacats
    9 years ago

Not sure if this idea would work -- but if a wood shelf could be fitted in above the fridge -- then add a rolling metal or wood shelf (check Rev-a-Shelf -- love them -- and just retrofit them into my old kitchen cabinets)

Then the microwave could be rolled out when needed .....

Check Amazon for Rev-a-Shelf .....

• bbstx
    9 years ago

I worry about your using the microwave from the top of the fridge. 81" is 6 feet 9 inches. That is way up there!

In my old house, I had the microwave on a shelf mounted above the washer (w/d were in a closet in the kitchen). The floor of the microwave was about the same level as my eyes. Sometimes it felt precarious to pull out a bowl of something hot...especially if the bowl were hot and I didn't have an adequate potholder. And if the door were trying to close while I was pulling out the bowl, it got really scary!

• Mayo510
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Donnamira - I like the blinds idea, thanks! I will keep my eyes open for something like that.

crl - two shelves is a good idea. Then it wouldn't be just one big stack of stuff.

bbstx - those are good baskets, thanks! I suspect you're right about the height of the micro up there. I keep thinking "but I didn't mind it before" -- my micro use is just so limited -- but before, it was a couple of inches lower, and those couple of inches might really matter. This means I should use a microwave shelf on the bank of wall cabinets I'm adding. I just think the countertop would be too crowded with the micro on them too.

Thanks all for your help! I just wish there was some way I could put doors on that over-fridge space. Doors that match my existing Ikea.

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

Can you add a shelf and doors, without putting in a whole cabinet? I have a 20" deep upper cabinet space which is wonderful for roasting pans and a huge mixing bowl. In your space I wouldn't mind if I needed a stool to get something out of the back - I would use the space for big things I don't use often, or for hiding gifts.

• mellyc123
    9 years ago

I would get the 30 x 15 x 24 cabinet, cut it down to 12" height and use a 12" x 30" door and the horizontal hinges and mount it on a frame added to that back wall above the fridge.. Sounds more complicated than it really is and we are not super handy but have cut down several of our cabinets and did mount 2 on a small frame to make them align with the front of our soffit.
    Google pics of that horizontal hinge and it really looks like it is installed on the normal door.

• mellyc123
    9 years ago

They do make baskets big enough for a roasting pan and one even has a lid. Look at the Pottery Barn Havana underbed basket or large utility basket. Large is : 24" wide x 16" deep x 7" high

They also have one called Savannah that would be a light color like the Orsa Birch.

Good Luck.

• michelew90
    9 years ago

I have pull out trays above the frig that have dividers between for storing cookie sheets, platters, etc...maybe you could use something similar for the microwave. You could get a heavy duty pullout tray made for pantries..use a 1 inch thick shelf mount that to the walls.

• gr8daygw
    9 years ago

For the overhead bin door you can use a regular door mounted sideways with the handle in the middle.

• amykath
    9 years ago

I think you should just make a wooden box, be it out of crate material or just plywood. Here is just an idea. However, I would make it so it fit nicely into your nook and add some sort of handle to it. So, basically a box with the top open. Then you can paint or stain it. In this DIY link they do it with the box open at the front. You could do that and add baskets, but it sounds like you need large storage.

Good luck. I think there are tons of things you could do.

Here is a link that might be useful: link to DIY box

• sara_the_brit_z6_ct
    9 years ago

You can hack a 12" wide Ikea base cabinet, which is what I did. Basically, you hang it on its side, from the ceiling. Change the door hinges to upward opening hinges (as someone posted a photo above). Bingo - inexpensive cabinet, matching your existing cabinetry.

• Mayo510
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Holy cow, the 12" base cabinet on its side -- that's genius, thanks Sara and Rae!

Question, though, about the door hinge: the horizontal hinge will be necessary? It looks like I'd have to buy a whole $61 cabinet (that I won't use) just to get the hinge. But, at least with buying the 12", I get the door and everything else I need in one purchase, it's just the hinge missing.

I Googled around to see if there's another source for just the hinge, but nothing obvious came up.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    9 years ago

The horizontal hinge is nice because it holds the door open. An ordinary hinge will allow it to fall closed if not held up by you or something. So not absolutely needed but nice to have. Check with Ikea, I have the impression that, although they don't show the lift-up hinges separately in the website, they could be bought separately. Or, I think that if you bought the cabinet, it might be possible to just keep the hinges and return the rest of the cabinet. (I think this because I have read how people created custom sized cabinets by putting parts of various standard ones together, then returned the extra pieces.) Someone on the Ikeafans website might know the answer -- or just call Ikea.

If the base cabinet on its side isn't the right width for the space, then you could get a 30" tall wall cab with door and another wall cab without door, put the cabs together to fill the whole depth of space. Just carefully measure your dimensions and the dimensions of the cabinets. Return the extra rear wall.

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

Did you try Lee Valley? They have a lot of hardware.

• sara_the_brit_z6_ct
    9 years ago

I got mine from Rockler hardware. I think you use "overhead bin hinge" as the search term.