Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chris_cwod

6 inch upper cabinet gap - what to do?

chris_cwod
11 years ago

Hi,

I'm hoping I can get some good opinions or ideas for a small issue we've run into...

We are getting our cabinets refaced, taking down a stub wall, and adding a pantry to our kitchen. When our KDs measured one of our existing upper cabinets, they didn't take into account a gap that will be between the existing upper cabinet and the pantry (there is currently trim board and stub wall there, but that will be removed). The gap is 5.5", and when they discovered it the guy said a 6" cabinet would work in that spot.

The total space is about 42", and our existing cabinet is 36" and has 2 doors.

But...I'm just not sure how such a skinny cabinet would look, especially as an upper cabinet. I think our options are:

a) Put in a skinny 6-inch cabinet. But then do we use a slab door for that? We'd have to, I guess. Also, the cabinets go to the ceiling, and the actual usable interior width would be only about 4.5" I think.

b) Put in an entirely new large cabinet to replace the existing one (obviously the most expensive choice and something we weren't expecting to do).

c) Do something different like put a skinny spice rack or wine rack in that spot (still not sure how this would look)

Any thoughts on what would look best? I'm all for practical usable space, but I also want it to look good because it's in a prominent spot that you see when you enter the kitchen.

If anyone else has run into this issue and has pictures of their solution, I'd love to see those as well.

Thanks!

Chris

Comments (9)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!