Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jillandmatt_gw

Help picking bar stools to complete kitchen! (pic included)

jillandmatt
12 years ago

Kitchen is finished. Now I would love some help/ideas for bar stools. I have a lot of brown wood/stain(floors, table, island top) so I'm thinking maybe some thing different like black or metal. Any ideas? Here's a picture of our kitchen. I could fit two medium or three smaller size. Also, should I do some with backs or backless?

Thanks!

Jill

Comments (30)

• dianalo
    12 years ago

I hate to say it but the overhang does not seem deep enough for real seating. I might consider a tall bench seat that could fit 2 if needed for just chatting with the cook or having a small snack.

• jillandmatt
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes, you are definitely right. I was just thinking for kids to eat a snack at the island, or an adult to chat with while I'm cooking. I think the picture kind of makes the space look smaller than it is, but now that I think about it, I probably need to go backless since the stools would stick out from the overhang a few inches. I haven't put much thought into it until now... I definitely need to go backless and on the small side. I guess I just need help with color and style. Thanks for the input!!

• honorbiltkit
    12 years ago

You might want to consider saddle stools. They are far from cutting edge, but they are comfortable, have a nice simple shape that will not distract from the elegance of your smashing kitchen, and fit neatly under most overhangs when not in use.

• dianalo
    12 years ago

I agree that backless is a great way to go. I could picture something like this:
    http://www.architonic.com/pmsht/stool-functionals/1143725

If you found something with a pretty fabric cushion, that would be great for your decor as well as comfy.

• Capegirl05
    12 years ago

Hey jillandmatt....I am also searching for stools and you know, our kitchens are similar. Have you checked crate and barrel? They have a few that I am considering. I have a bit more overhang to my island BUT, I am still considerling backless stools. It is really personal pref, but I think with your set up, it would be good. I like the saddle stools. With backless stools, the sitter can turn around easily and watch tv or talk to someone...it just works better, IMHO. I like the crate and barrel industrial-looking TURNER stools that have the seat that you can adjust up and down by turning the seat. Those are cool...
    capegirl

• ccintx
    12 years ago

Nice kitchen! What kind of wood is your countertop and flooring? What paint and grout color did you choose? I love the way the grout matches the wall color. Mind sharing the details? Very pretty.

• jillandmatt
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Capegirl- I will definitely check those out when I finish this post! I just saw some that sound similar (industrial, turing seats) on worldmarket.com. They weren't a bad price either!
    CCinTX- I wouldn't mind at all! The counter is from Craft Art's online DIY store. It is black walnut, edge grain. I stained it a little darker than it would naturally be. Then I applied Waterlox. The foors are white oak stained with a duraseal color (I think) called coffee. The paint is Sherwin William's Ralaxed Khaki and the grout is from The Tile Shop. The color is mobe pearl. Hope that helps!

• jillandmatt
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Capegirl- We do have similar tastes. Those stools on worldmarket.com that caught my eye are very similar to the ones on at crate and barrel! LOL! I think I might go for the World Market ones. The nice thing is they have them in stock at the WM in our town and so I can easily try them out and take them back if I get them in the kitchen and decide they don't work. I have been out of the loop for a while. How far along are you? I can't wait to see your finished kitchen pictures!
    Jill

• cat0412
    12 years ago

Love your kitchen! New to this site! Want to create a timeless classic kitchen like yours, can you give me info on your cabinets? Brand? Style? Color? Help! Thanks!

• BalTra
    12 years ago

Jill,
    Your kitchen is so serene -- I think that is my favorite one I've seen with different countertops on the Island and perimeter. Is the Island wood? It looks so soft, and so polished without being shiny. Beautiful!!

Is it granite you used? What colors are in it?

I'm wondering how deep the overhang is? I have a smallish space but would like for people to be able to perch at the peninsula while I'm cooking.

I agree about backless stools, by the way. And saddle stools are indeed comfortable. You could find something simple and standard, or find something using similar material / accent as your Island counter.

ENJOY!

• jillandmatt
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks! This is a great site and so helpful. Our kitchen is a year in the making. It has been a labor of love! Lots of agonizing over decisions and trying to figure out the details, but now that it's almost finished, all the work was worth it! Another site that really helped me is houzz.com. Seeing pictures of finished kitchens helped me figure out what I wanted in mine. Let me know if you have any more questions. I'm glad I can help someone. I've gotten so much help here.
    Here's the info:
    cabinets are inset painted Benjamin Moore Snowfall White. I was originally going to go with a slightly creamier white, but changed the color at the last minute. I'm glad I did because I realized I really like the slightly crisper white look. Warning- whites are very tricky. They look completely different under different lights.
    The cabinets were done by a local cabinet maker so there's no brand.
    They doors are shaker with a beaded inset on the frame (the bead slightly softens the edges but still has the classic shaker look)

• Capegirl05
    12 years ago

I will check out WorldMarket! We don't have those here where I live but they are in Dallas, SanAntonio...where we can go to easily. Let me know how they feel...
    We are almost done...I say that, there seems like so much more to do!!! We are going to be moving over the next few weeks. My husband still has to install my pendant lights over the island. Our Cert of OCC inspection is tomorrow. I really love the kitchen. It is my favorite room in the house, as it should be, right? Glad you got moved in and are settled!
    capegirl

• senator13
    12 years ago

I think this style would look great in that space. And this site gives you some ability to customize the base and the top.

Here is a link that might be useful: Amsico Grace Backless

• Lake_Girl
    12 years ago

Jill this is OT, but did you hang the pendant lights on an angle? I'm thinking of ordering these, as we need lots of light, and these look like they provide it. Thanks!

• jillandmatt
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hey Lakegirl, What is OT? No, the pendant lights are straight now. The day the picture was taken before we moved in and one of the lights was crooked. Here's a pic from today I just took. The kitchen is a bit messy. I just fixed lunch for the kids. LOL! Did you see my post about finishing the wood counter top? I put a coat of the original back on it yesterday, because I've had trouble with the satin/original mix- long story. Anyways, I saw on another post that you had success and a finish that you are happy with using the WL satin. I'm trying to figure out if I should use a bristle pad or a natural bristle brush. Craft Art instructions say use the pad... WL person says use a natural bristle brush. What did you use? Did you get tiny bubbles? If so, did they evaporate while drying?
    Thanks! I'm going to get it right this time!

Jill

• Capegirl05
    12 years ago

Hey jillandmatt...I posted a thread while I was finishing my table top...it was about 3 weeks ago asking for help with my situation. I put on 2 coats of the waterlox original and then did a 50/50 mix with the satin and the results were horrile...lots of little tiny bubbles and a rough finish when you slid your hands across the board. After lots of advice/recommendations from those here, I sanded like crazy until I couldn't feel any bumps or roughness and then I went back with a thick coat of just the Waterlox original. I may have done two coats...I exlained my process in the thread...I am not touching that satin stuff again with a 10 foot pole, but that was just my experience. Someone said they did a 100% satin (no mixing) at the end and LOVED the results. I was too scared to try :o) After all is said and done, I love my butcher board! I really think I applied the coats too thin and that is what caused the bubbles when I added the satin in to the mix...but I will never know for sure.
    HTH
    capegirl

• Lake_Girl
    12 years ago

I love the lights, either straight or on an angle:)

Now back to the Waterlox. My husband, who actually did the Waterlox, was sitting here with me yesterday when I responded to your thread. He was telling me what to type. (It sounded like I did the WL, but he actually did it.) I would get him back in here, but he's on the tractor outside somewhere. Anyway, he said he used a brush. He told me there were some bubbles, but they evaporated in the drying process. I do remember he sanded between every coat. He did it in the garage to keep down mess and smell. It's been a few months, so he is going by memory. He tells me there are a few imperfections, but he won't tell me where. He knows if I can't see them, I'm a happy girl! Seriously though, I'm very happy with the results. I feels quite smooth and wipes up easily. It's an oak BB from Ikea. I think he pretty much went by Waterlox's instructions.
    Lisa

• ellendi
    12 years ago

Great kitchen. I am wondering too about what granite you used?

• jillandmatt
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Capegirl, LOL! I'm scared of it too!! Believe it or not I am going to try one more time... am I crazy or what. I love your spotlight idea. I borrowed a spot light from a friend today. Great idea! I'm so glad you got good results and you are happy with yours. Can't wait to see your finished kitchen. What did you end up going with for the backsplash? I remember you were trying to decide.
    Lisa, Thanks so much for the info. When you say your husband used a bristle brush, do you mean a natural bristle paint brush, or a paint pad? Do you or your husband remember any more details on how you applied it? Did you pour it on and spread it out, or did you dip the brush in the WL and put it on that way, like if you were painting a wall. Sorry to bug you again, but I would really appreciate any advice. I am also going to call the WL hotline again.
    Jill

• jillandmatt
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks! The granite is ornamental giallo aka new venitian gold. The colors in it are brown, grays and beige.

• Mabies
    12 years ago

http://www.onewayfurniture.com/ams-40038-xx.html

Maybe something like these? I found these locally for less - ours have brown metal and yellowish cushions - they are nice b/c they have a very small footprint. I was going to get saddle chairs but my son requested stools with a cushion. They are super comfortable - kids are doing homework and hanging out just like i hoped they would in our new kitchen.

• irishcreamgirl
    12 years ago

Your kitchen is stunning. I bought my bar stools from Walmart of all places. They are the Better Homes and Gardens black counter stools. My kitchen is white with brown granite and I love the pop of black. Mine have backs on them however.They are very sturdy, well made, and comfortable. Walmart also sells saddle stools in black which have very good reviews. I was considering buying those for extra seating at one point. I think black saddle stools would look fabulous in your kitchen.

Would you mind sharing the name of the pendant lights above the island? I keep looking for lighting similar to those for my front foyer but everything I find that I like is too tall for my eight foot ceiling. I would like to look up yours to see if they would work.

Thanks

• MIssyV
    12 years ago

when i see your kitchen i immediately think saddle stools as well. they would be narrow and smaller for your space, and not take away from the beauty of what is surrounding those stools!

• jillandmatt
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Mabies-thanks for the website. I love how you can pick the frame color and seat cover on those.
    irishcreamgirl-I'm thinking black too. I'd love to see a pic of your kitchen! The light is from capital lighting and is the stanton 3 light, under foyer lights. They were inexpensive as far as lights go. Around $120 :)
    Missy- thanks! Did you decide on your wood counter in yet. I did not have internet for about 3 weeks after we moved in but I remember you were thinking about going with walnut.

• Lake_Girl
    12 years ago

OT - off topic (the only abbr. that I know) :)

I ask DH last night. He said yes on the natural bristle brush. He said it wasn't an expensive brush at all. He did dip it in the can, not pour it on. He says he thinks he pretty much followed WL instructions. I just looked at their site, and wow! there's a lot of instuctions. I know he put 2 or 3 coats of the regular and followed with a last coat of satin. I remember the top was on the island for the last coat (of I'm assuming satin), because we left the house and it was wet and shiney. When we came home 2 days later, it had dried a nice satin finish. I'll ask again tonight to see if I'm leaving out a crucial element we've forgotten.

• Lake_Girl
    12 years ago

sorry this is OT again - do you think your size pendants would work over an island that's 36.5" x 66" and with 9 ft. ceilings? Too big, small, just right?? Also, what size were the grout lines you used? I want to be able to see my grout a little more than some. Thanks, your kitchen is inspiring!

• MIssyV
    12 years ago

i am going to do the wood island top, but letting a local guy make it for me. keep your fingers crossed :) sounds like he can use any wood i ask for, but he quoted me using maple i believe. i want a darker wood though, so will probably look at walnut.

the lights...i saw something very similar in my email from Overstock.com this morning for around $125!

• jillandmatt
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Missy- have you thought about having him stain the wood to get the exact color you want. I stained our walnut darker before putting on the waterlox. Can't wait to see it!
    Lakegirl- our island is 84"x36"... I just went down and looked at them and it's hard to say if they would be too big for a 66" length...they could definitely be moved closer together... I'm just not sure if they would have to be too close together for the size. Could you order them and hold them up to see and then return them if they turn out to be too big. I did that with the hundi lanterns from Pottery Barn. After seeing them in person I realized they were too big. I have another idea. Ballard design has the carriage house lantern that is the same style, but a little smaller. The capital pendants are 10" square and the Ballard Design ones are 8" square. I have the larger (12") Carriage House lantern in my foyer. Here's a pic

I just looked at BD website and they have a new pendant I think would look great over an island. Check out the Calisse Pendants. I might have done two of those of the island. They are a little bigger (11").
    I don't know why my pictures are so big. I resized it but it still huge!

• ejbrymom
    12 years ago

FABULOUS kitchen!
    I think backless in a wood to match the island top would look fabulous!
    Love how these match your wood top but add in the color/material of the hardware. They also add in another shape since everything in your kitchen is so rectangular and it would pick up on the circular knobs on your doors.
    http://www.worldmarket.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11108349

I also like backless windsor stools
    something like this:
    http://www.greatwindsorchairs.com/windsor_stool.htm

here is another image:
    http://windsorchairsonline.com/UserFiles/Image/SaddleSeatStool1.jpg

LOVE your kitchen! I have the same perimeter granite and want to paint my cabinets white, get a larger island but I will need a new island top (existing is NVG) this works PERFECTLY! Love it!

? for you about your refrigerator? What brand is it? Is it a counterdepth?

Here is a link that might be useful: World Market Stool

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler